Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blackrodd":25psj7l9 said:
Does look like euro sockets, Good going to make, stain, paint and fit the hangers and unit in a day.
Sounds more like Maillee! looks nice though.
Regards Rodders
good eye, euro socket that is,not going to spend the summer in the ''lovely'' uk weather.
the most time consuming part was going to shop and choosing the hangers , the rest can be done in less than an hour if you take out the paint drying process , it's just 4pieces of sticks screwed together :roll:

Well, its not really woodwork, but it has a got a bit of wood. Yew in fact which was ridiculously expensive and full of splits so only a fraction of it was usable. Still, the usable bit looks quite nice.
knife 6.JPG

Cheers
Richard

Attachments

• knife 6.JPG
    knife 6.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 183
DTR post video or it never happened :D
Here's a few other bits I've finished in the last week
837e5361680bd10ae742aff5669f8201.jpg

I wanted a bp enamel sign for ages and one finally came up on ebay which was relatively cheap and localish. It must have sat outside for a while as a lot of the edges were rusty and sharp. At some point it must have been used as target practice cause it was full of bullet holes ! The easiest way to overcome it (and the picture rail being in the way) was to make a frame to cover the nasties.
894b521fb4f79fe029f4b42caa2f6849.jpg

The thing weighs a ton so I thought better be safe than sorry so allowed for plenty of fixings behind the cartridge screw caps. Even though I epoxied the joints and reinforced the corners with metal brackets the sign being so warped and bowed soon caused one joint to snap, followed by another, followed by another. It was quite an experience feeling the tension in the metal pull the poor frame to bits :cry: luckily the metal brackets held it all together until it got fixed back to the wall :) the frame was left sawn with a couple licks of bedec msp paint
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Green oak planters, very wet ( note unpegged joints and boards squeezed up tight)
8850af653c8afd0237227b39b3042efa.jpg

I left them in the shed for 3 weeks and couldn't believe how much the boards had shrunk !!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought leaving them out in the rain would cure it but they haven't swelled up much at all yet.
93ec52e30e7eb2e3df699cc1adb9a7c9.jpg

a4c2c871ee887c9ae66c19da0a0779bc.jpg
I did the tongues 7mm but even now there only in the grooves by about 2mm- shame really - live and learn :?

They look really nice! A&C style I see. How thick are the leg posts and rails if you don't mind me asking? They look roughly 3" and 2" respectively. There's a place near me that does green oak sleepers I was thinking of resawing for something similar.

monkeybiter":ysnl8cf6 said:
V. nice, I like the shape as much as the wood, looks very 'holdable'/ergonomic.

Thanks. Yes, its quite comfy shape to hold I feel, so its the design I think I have settled on to make a small batch of them. This knife-making business has been a bit of a distraction from real woodwork though. Need to get it out of my system so I can get on with the jewellery box I started 6 months ago!

Cheers
Richard

I really like those planter boxes, been looking at designs online but nothing has "popped" for me until now. I'll definitely be making something in those lines, though in something cheaper than oak!

Thanks for the kind words guys.
memzey":200xgdnf said:
How thick are the leg posts and rails if you don't mind me asking? They look roughly 3" and 2" respectively.
That's about right for the section sizes. If you pm me your email I can send you the sketchup file if it's any use ;)
Coley

A nice project Doug. I do like the chairs especially, and I wouldn't mind making a trial chair in pine. I have the oak for a table, but I need a full dining size; to " 'show off' the extension, instead of filling it with PC junk!" says SWMBO. it would also avoid stowing dining chairs in unoccupied corners. (I think she's right about the dining chairs, as it happens!)

Nice work Doug.

John :)

Just delivered this bathroom mirror cabinet in American Black Walnut. Customer very pleased. Result.

4abb1879a0ccf61c5c3f407f4fc0556c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Adam.
The carcass is solid, as are the internal shelves and dividers which you can't see. The back panel is 13mm veneered MDF as are the doors behind the mirrors.
Finished with 4 coats of Osmo Polyx clear Matt

Chisel handle 048.jpg

Two saw totes spalted cherry, one coat BLO then shellack Tenon saw sharpened and set X cut 12 tpi.
Two chisel handles styled after London octagonals wood Plumb one coat BLO then shellack.

Attachments

• Chisel handle 048.jpg
    Chisel handle 048.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 225
Zeddedhed":2lv3lehg said:
Just delivered this bathroom mirror cabinet in American Black Walnut. Customer very pleased. Result.

Very very nice, really starting to like this walnut stuff =D>
Hopefully they'll be returning customers :D

Billy Flitch":9vkeiaur said:

Two saw totes spalted cherry, one coat BLO then shellack Tenon saw sharpened and set X cut 12 tpi.
Two chisel handles styled after London octagonals wood Plumb one coat BLO then shellack.

Lovely work Billy =D>
Those handles gorgeous.

After many weeks of practice, I finally joined two bits of scrap oak together without being too unhappy with the result!
dovetail_close.jpg

And here is the same joint with some of its more ugly predecessors.
failed_dovetails.jpg

I am definitely still learning this particular skill, but hopefully I have made most of my share of bad dovetails so that I might now be able to make a few good ones. I suppose I should come up with a project that has some dovetails in it...

Cheers,
Chris

Attachments

• dovetail_close.jpg
    dovetail_close.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 133
  • failed_dovetails.jpg
    failed_dovetails.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 134
Back