Peoples views on the bay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If sending, everything EVERYTHING must go recorded post, and I'd recommend royal mail 1st or 2nd class recorded. I've sent over a thousand sales, ebay and the bike forums and except for 2 items, everything went RM recorded and got to the destination.
The 2 things I didnt send mysteriously disappeared in the post and I had to refund so out item and money.

Do not use evri- its a recipe for disaster.
With Royal Fail send Collect plus that way goes to there nearest parcel pick point/shop and same with DPD.MyHerpes/ERVI(Every Parcel is Hassle)
That way you know where it is and also buyer as they have to provide ID.
Royal fail these day's employ ex Herpes/yodel staff as have the same disease of Bang door dump parcel and run and if your in ok but not left for others to steal.
Try to get everything i buy these day's done pick up as had to much hassle/stolen.
Just picked up parcel via DPD sent into post office woman wouldn't let me have as didn't have DL or Passport with me yet DL don't have a photo and wouldn't accept my over 60 travel pass which has my photo plus number is registered to me as have to provide documents to get one.
but went back other guy was good and said ohh you have original DL valid forever well till x age where as pic one is 10 years.

RM left an item that was recorded/signed for on matt.

If listing items add your phone number in one that way many ring and do a deal.
Friend kills on there avoids there fees so often even when they contacted him and 'Squealed' Got all shouty about avoiding fees yaddah yaddah till told them it was a 'Free Listing' anyway.
They're not that bright at ebay

They seem to work for me OK, coming or going. Maybe they have regional problems.
Used to have a good driver round here knew you and helpful but twonk now isn't leaves things at wrong addresses or outside as many have items stolen plus said to him one day don't leave outside as items stolen so he got pissy and returned an item without trying to deliver then Herpes system just looses everything.
Also with Herpes they steal items at HQ etc then say it's was damaged ECT so was destroyed as dangerous!
Know someone that had a nie on £1000 Shimano bluewater/big game reel going back to Shimano for a service and got this issue as they know where going and weight so knew what it was.

I use eBay for my sales. I tend to sell small stuff which are surplus from my dad, as well as tools I no longer want. I also sell a number of my daughter's bits and pieces. I use Royal Mail, and have been quite happy with them. Out of nearly 500 sales (and receiving over £5k in total) I have had only 2 lost which I regard as not bad. I have used eBay's postage service a few times for some awkward pieces and so far have been satisfied with those, including collection from home. I haven't had any problems with Evri myself - yet! I find the fees OK - and I get 1000 free listings every month!! And about every 4 weeks eBay offer 80% selling fee reductions so I try and save up my items for a 1st time listing.

So if you use eBay carefully to optimise cash from stuff which otherwise isn't going to be used.

Delivery driver makes all the difference.
Our evri chap is brilliant. I would choose their service for incoming parcels because I trust him. I understand other people don't have such good luck.

Sending a package that needed £500 insurance cover the other day, RM special delivery was the only affordable choice. They did send me a scanned signature, delivery timestamp and GPS coordinates which is about as good as it gets, but in the past I've sent documents RMSD and they made no record of delivery despite actually delivering them in to the right business.

I bought an Electrical Multi Function Tester (MFT for those that know) £580.00 it never arrived, sender some how had a proof of delivery card, PO told me it happens often, opened a dispute with E-Bay they referred me to PayPal who found in the senders favour, I reported this to the Financial Ombudsman who found in my favour and informed PayPal they then reluctantly with lots of "On this occasion" re-funded my monies, meanwhile I had contacted Visa and they also re-funded my monies, I told them that PayPal had already re-funded, but they did not want the monies back? So I ended up £580.00 up on the deal, Quite a good result in the end, but just had the hassle and stress of the whole thing, which took over four months.

I bought an Electrical Multi Function Tester (MFT for those that know) £580.00 it never arrived, sender some how had a proof of delivery card, PO told me it happens often, opened a dispute with E-Bay they referred me to PayPal who found in the senders favour, I reported this to the Financial Ombudsman who found in my favour and informed PayPal they then reluctantly with lots of "On this occasion" re-funded my monies, meanwhile I had contacted Visa and they also re-funded my monies, I told them that PayPal had already re-funded, but they did not want the monies back? So I ended up £580.00 up on the deal, Quite a good result in the end, but just had the hassle and stress of the whole thing, which took over four months.
And presumably the seller kept his £580, so we all contributed £1160!

Used to have a good driver round here knew you and helpful but twonk now isn't leaves things at wrong addresses or outside as many have items stolen plus said to him one day don't leave outside as items stolen so he got pissy and returned an item without trying to deliver then Herpes system just looses everything.
Also with Herpes they steal items at HQ etc then say it's was damaged ECT so was destroyed as dangerous!
Know someone that had a nie on £1000 Shimano bluewater/big game reel going back to Shimano for a service and got this issue as they know where going and weight so knew what it was.
I’ve had a similar experience of things being “damaged “ in their warehouse; a very well packaged item, that would have taken serious abuse to damage. No proof of damage nor return of item.

I also sent a £1500 Garrard 301 motor unit that Evri were unable to track.

For these an several other issues, I avoid Evri at all costs.

I’ve sold on eBay over the years with little or no problem. I check sold auctions via advanced search facility to establish a realistic starting price. I usually set the auction to end on Sunday evening and provide good pictures and accurate description of what’s included and not included. I always use and charge for a tracked parcel service with Royal Mail, Parcelforce, Ups or DPD. I won’t do deals outside eBay system And I only sell to uk addresses. Yes there are fees but that’s life!!

I sold a printer & sent it in it's original box, bad move advertising what's in the box! Tracking showed it going in & out of various depots for nearly a week - I phoned Herpes demanding they find the parcel & deliver it, this was a Friday, it miraculously appeared & was delivered on thhe following Mon.. I swear to this day that it was stashed by a staff member waiting for an opportunity to 'pinch' it.
I now always wrap boxes that show what's inside.

I've been selling on eBay on and off for as long as I can remember...

- I always list 'fixed price'/'buy it now' with 'accept offers' set to something pretty low just to filter out the low-ballers and time wasters..

- If you do an auction, make sure they end at a time when people will be sat watching telly after tea and idly bidding on stuff, not a workday when people are busy... but I rarely auction anything.

- I never do any promotion/fancy listing feature stuff, as that costs more and I don't think helps. People look for what they want, and/or have keyword searches firing into their inboxes. Buyers will find stuff. Just put good photos, descriptions, condition notes, and jam all the keywords you would search for into the title.

- Fees can be painful - say £3 for postage as above, and final value fees 12.8% - it can add up. eBay will usually send out an offer once a month saying 80% off the final value fees (i.e. off that 12.8%) - they've been doing this to me for years very regularly. That makes it pretty good value. I guess they are targeted at 'semi active' members so maybe list a couple of things then go silent for a bit!

- I've had a couple of 'near miss' deliveries by Hermes/Evri but eventually they have mostly landed. I've had one thing go missing fully, years ago via a non-tracked Royal Mail service. So now everything goes out with tracking, usually via InPost or Evri if they're 'parcels' of a small size and 0-2 kg as they are as cheap as royal mail and more convenient for me (shops open late, and lockers available for dropping off locally). If it's something low value (< £10) it might go out royal mail.

- Really not had many scammers or problem customers, where I've been uncomfortable with a buyer (due to lack of feedback, bad feedback, or stupid questions after purchasing) I just cancel the sale.

- New payment system is good, they take the money and usually pay it out the next day direct to my bank.

FB marketplace is OK, but you spent more time negotiating (or ignoring 'what's your lowest price?', scammers, etc) than selling.

Often with eBay the first you hear is the payment landing, or an actual price offer... and places like UKW are probably good, but too 'specific' to sell half the random things I end up wanting to get rid of. It's still the best way I think, to reach a very large audience where there's likely to be a buyer for anything.

Normal now to pay Ebay unless you agree with the buyer/seller to pay cash.
Chap just picked my ebay sold saw - fastest sale ever must have been 10 minutes in! He paid cash. Ebay then charges me with their fees.
Got the bike as described looking forward to building it up.

Probably doesn't mean much to most if you guys Robgul, Triton excepted but it's the model my dad commuted on in the 90's!

Many thanks guys
IMG-20230120-WA0017.jpeg

I lost a 235mm circular saw I only got £50 for it but it was still annoying as I could have kept it!

Got the bike as described looking forward to building it up.

Probably doesn't mean much to most if you guys Robgul, Triton excepted but it's the model my dad commuted on in the 90's!

Many thanks guys
View attachment 151627
Wow that's a really low profile back tyre :LOL::LOL:

I was mainly a buyer on eBay, but had a few successful sales of photographic equipment. My last sale in 2017 went horribly wrong because of a dishonest buyer and cost me over $450.

I sold my last lens to a buyer in Nebraska, who claimed I sent an empty box, which he discovered as he opened the box. As proof, the buyer provided a photo of the box I shipped with nothing inside. However, the intact shipping label from the USPS clearly showed the weight as 2lb 7oz.

Unfortunately, eBay agreed with the buyer and took the money from me. I couldn't file a claim with the USPS since the tracking information proved the box had been delivered and I could not prove the item was damaged or missing. I closed my eBay account.

Now I use eBay Kleinanzeigen, which is free and similar to Gumtree. Sales are fast, easy, and I offer local collection only. I sold my boat anchor (Holzmann P/T) and DeWalt DWS780 within minutes of listing them. The buyers were able to try out the machines before loading them and leaving. One saved me a trip to the river.
If it helps, I have recently used a company called trans global express. Shipped display cabinets with glass front and glass shelves, said to the buyer expect the worst! Each cabinet with packaging came in at just over 35kg, from memory came in at £340 and this was to Connecticut, left me on the Monday and was hanging in the clients house by Friday. Had exactly the same with sending tables to Amsterdam and L.A

Latest posts

Back