Backup software recomendation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectric

Staff member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Well for anyone looking for software to perform backups of there precious data and files I can recomend GoodSync which I have been using for a while since dropping Genie 9 due to many issues and Acronis true image which has lost it's way. Backups should be simple and reliable and this Goodsync software is delivering, what I really like about this program is that unlike many others that just perform the backup and then give you the statistics of file numbers that are new, changed etc this one performs it in two stages and in full view using a file directory structure. The first is the analyse part which shows all the files and folders in your backup, on the left are the chosen files and on the right the files in the backup and you can see any new files or ones that have changed since the last backup but at this point nothing has been done, it is just showing you any changes. Then you can sync the files which updates the backup to the latest versions from the Pc and this is also clearly shown. There are many other options and it can syncronise in both directions, so not only for backups as if you have worked on your laptop and these files are newer then it can update the files on the Pc and of course vica versa and backup to multiple drives. You can use it for free, unlimited time but there is a file limit which allows you to see if you like it and to buy is only £20 so I believe is good value. I will say that I have no connection to this company or it's products and that I am just giving a review of a product that I have used and think might be of value to others.

Have you tried the built in backup and file history system that comes with windows? (assuming windows as you mention PC) Is there something that GoodSync does better?

I just plug my drive in and it backs up any new files or changes. I can go into the drive and follow the same directory paths as on my computer and can use the file history browser to get back any version of saved. don't need/want to add any more programs to my machine if I can help it.

Same with antivirus. Been using defender for 5 years+ and have never had a problem (touch wood).

There was a time when 3rd party tools often performed better but doesn't seem to be the case anymore, for me at least.

Have you tried the built in backup and file history system that comes with windows
Yes I did give that a go but it lacks a lot of functionality and options.

1707747232821.png

Not something I would use. I back up manually using Free File Sync
- https://freefilesync.org/

Presume this is the link for GoodSync
- https://www.goodsync.com/

Difference between free & Pro versions
- https://www.goodsync.com/free-vs-pro

Just a few of the well thought of, of over 200 free backup programmes

Macrium Reflect is probably the most renowned. No longer updated (see notes at bottom of page) but still works as well as it ever did
- https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/macrium_reflect_free_edition.html

Hasleo Backup Suite Free
- https://www.easyuefi.com/backup-software/backup-suite-free.html

Cobian Backup 7/8/10/11 - https://www.cobiansoft.com/cobianbackup.html
Cobian Reflector - https://www.cobiansoft.com/cobianbackup.html

Easeus Todo Backup
- https://www.easeus.com/backup-software/tb-free.html

Hasleo Backup Suite Free
- https://www.easyuefi.com/backup-software/backup-suite-free.html

Getting this right is extremely important because the data and files can have consumed an enormous amount of your time in their creation, there are still far to many people out there who only realise this when something crashes and they cannot access the files which is not the wakeup call you really want. There are now so many programs around and hardware to backup to, with new technology that is an unknown entity to trust until it has proven itself that backups are getting more involved. How far you go really depends upon how much you value your data, but for many years most people just used Acronis true image which just delivered and seemed to be the choice for many. The one thing I want from backup software is for the files to remain unchanged with no encryption or some odd format so that worst case you can manually retrieve the files, all the backup software does is to provide an easy method to ensure the files in the backup are the newest. To give immediate data protection I use RAID 5 which means no loss of data if one drive fails, but using RAID is not a backup simply on the basis the data is all in the one machine in one location so you still need somewhere to backup to on a rotation basis. It all comes down to finding something you trust that is reliable, is being maintained with good support. At the moment Goodsync is meeting my expectations and the technical support is good for just £25 a year but another question is will I ever trust the cloud !

Well for anyone looking for software to perform backups of there precious data and files I can recomend GoodSync which I have been using for a while since dropping Genie 9 due to many issues and Acronis true image which has lost it's way. Backups should be simple and reliable and this Goodsync software is delivering, what I really like about this program is that unlike many others that just perform the backup and then give you the statistics of file numbers that are new, changed etc this one performs it in two stages and in full view using a file directory structure. The first is the analyse part which shows all the files and folders in your backup, on the left are the chosen files and on the right the files in the backup and you can see any new files or ones that have changed since the last backup but at this point nothing has been done, it is just showing you any changes. Then you can sync the files which updates the backup to the latest versions from the Pc and this is also clearly shown. There are many other options and it can syncronise in both directions, so not only for backups as if you have worked on your laptop and these files are newer then it can update the files on the Pc and of course vica versa and backup to multiple drives. You can use it for free, unlimited time but there is a file limit which allows you to see if you like it and to buy is only £20 so I believe is good value. I will say that I have no connection to this company or it's products and that I am just giving a review of a product that I have used and think might be of value to others.
I assume this is Windows based? How is it for bare metal recovery? I.e. do you need to install Windows on a new drive before you can restore which is an issue I've had with many of the free options.

I tend to take full disk image backups which work but are slow and inflexible since it's the entire disk every time. However since all user data is on my Unix fileserver it isn't that critical.

I would be interested to know in what respect you think Acronis True Image has lost its way. I have been using it for quite a few years and have had no problems.

I also use the paid version of SyncBakPro to synchronise all the user data files to the latest versions.

Last edited:
Acronis true image was just that, a clean compact program for backing up files etc but now it has become more bloated and been renamed Acronis Cyber Protect Home Office which to me is something else, backup is backup and virus protection is something else and for me is like having a combined washing machine and microwave.

I assume this is Windows based? How is it for bare metal recovery? I.e. do you need to install Windows on a new drive before you can restore which is an issue I've had with many of the free options.

These days I tend not to backup the OS, I keep all work files on three mechanical disk working as RAID 5 and the OS on it's own SSD. The programs are all easily reloaded from a list and I keep the windows 10 install on a usb stick for repair if needed, most of the time Windows just repairs using the microsoft servers. From looking into backup software I do recall that Goodsync do a corporate / server based version and management software but that is not aimed at the home user.

A minimal approach - use a decent NAS configured as Raid 1 (a mirror system). Qnaps make decent and reliable kit. They also allow remote access to the NAS for free; whereas Western Digital (WD) charge for that privilige. Also Qnaps have top notch (in my experience) tech support!.

And anything that's really important (usually family photos, documents, even videos these days) copy them also to dvd (maybe two sets...) and store safe elsewhere. Check the DVD from time to time to ensure integrity of them.

Do NOT rely on USB/flash drives for any long term and secure storage; they can, and do, fail over time.

In a RAID system - even the basic Raid 1 - if one of the drives fails (and in time they will...) the RAID assembly will preserve data and rebuild the system anew to incorporate the new/replacement drive.

Also there are drives specifically designed/spec'd for NAS, so ensure you get those rather than as spec'd for occasional run sessions; i.e. desktop/laptops. WD make those and they're decent and reliable drives.

Agree Acronis has become somewhat over built; bloated these days. Easus may be less so?

Doesn't windoze include it's own back up software?

Incidentally I prefer to use a copy 'n save approach, rather than a true back up (which is actually data in code form).

Also wise to actually back up the NAS to another (single) drive - which "never" goes on line or anywhere near where it might be hacked...; as it's only attached to the NAS, powered up and updated at intervals (in the case of a Qnaps via a usb port) That way should the worst happen and you entire system gets hacked... hopefully that drive will be safe? Similarly the NAS needn't be permanently online/atached to your computer(s) as it were; more power up and update as when...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels

https://www.prepressure.com/library/technology/raid

Doesn't windoze include it's own back up software?
yes that's what I mentioned above. Seems to do everything I need it to do. I just plug in my device and it syncs all the latest file changes. Job done. I can go into the drive and browse the files from another machine so I know they are there and saved. (I don't encrypt my drives)

The other important thing to note is to store you backup somewhere else. I.E at a parents or friends house etc. If your house floods, burns down, is robbed etc (unlucky if that all happened at the same time) then you have a safe backup.

I also update and run a virus check before I plug in my backup as the last thing I want is to plug my drive into an infected computer.

A place i worked had a ransomeware attack and the IT manager plugged the backup in to restore some files and it subsequently encrypted that drive. Lost 6 months data. additionally not all files could be recovered as the filepaths were too long. Apparently that was our (general staff) fault for not somehow knowing that this would be an issue?! Not sure how we could have ever known this.

The school I worked in had a backup connected to the main server and we lost everything to ransomware. Turns out we only stored the server backup to the cloud. I had asked if we had cloud backups when I started and was told yes, they just didn't specify that it was only the servers!! Covid ironically saved us having to apply for exam exemptions for 150+ gcse students who lost all their coursework.

First two questions you need to ask:
  1. How quickly do you need the system back up and running on failure
  2. Do you need the whole system restored or just the data
For most professional systems the answer is within hours, and the whole system, so solutions often mirrors this requirement. This includes RAID systems that will give minimum down time on disk failure and data stored in special files that can be zipped up and compacted. Extracting the data from the later often requires the same system to be in place. These systems are expensive and if the automation fails, can be very difficult to recover from (have you tried recovering data from a RAID when the device that failed was the RAID controller?)

For a home system, my experience is that the answer is days and just some of the data. For home data a sync system that save the files in their native format in another device is a better solution than many of the more sophisticated systems. On failure it is a lot easier to access the data from another device using any computer you have to hand.

Two questions to one and all - like a survey perhaps:

How many have tested you can restore what you have backed up - and I mean a proper restore, not just a verification using the tool?

How many back up to something that does not sit next to your computer / in your house?

How many back up to something that does not sit next to your computer / in your house?
A backup next to your Pc is only partial, keep copies in secure dry enclosures external to your house so anything happens to your house you may lose the Pc but not your data / work files.

Two questions to one and all - like a survey perhaps:

How many have tested you can restore what you have backed up - and I mean a proper restore, not just a verification using the tool?

I have a home desktop Win10 PC with 3 extra drives to the C: or main drive, and I have used Acronis for 4+ years.
All the backups of the 4 drives are backed up to SSD drives not connected to my PC except for backing up.
I have tested the backups and all the information I required was readily available, so I suppose I can say Acronis works for me but, I agree that it can do far more than is every day required which I don't use. Their support was great when I had to use it.

I've been using Macrium for quite a few years, its set up to take a full backup on 1st of each month then incremental backups daily, keeping several of each just in case onto a second drive in my PC. I also do a backup to an external drive every 3 months. Its been so long since I interacted with the software directly I'm pretty sure I would be lost if I needed a reinstall or to grab a file. The brain got foggy the older it got. The pc is from 2011, it gets removed to the garage every 12 months and compressed air clears all the fluff & dust and away it goes again. Wish I could have that treatment!

Back