PCB removal, Excalibur EX-21CE Scroll Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AES

Established Member
Reaction score
For anyone who already owns one of the IMO excellent machines, or who is thinking in investing in one, I would say that overall, "support", and especially spare parts supply is very good indeed.

However, I recently had a major fault on my machine (PCB failed), and no matter where and who I tried, I could find no information on how to remove the PCB from what is a "rather cramped inside" machine. I therefore worked out my own removal procedure (trail and error - it took me a LONG time!) so if any other owners have similar problems here's "How to do it".

I wanted to do the whole write up in .pdf format so that anyone interested could make a single file download to keep for their own use. Unfortunately the UKW software does not accept .pdf (Why not I wonder? It's THE standard for "portable documents")!. So I converted the whole write up into .jpg format. Including the write up itself, which refers to names of part to remove, tools to use, and includes photos, diagrams, and a parts diagram plus parts list, runs to 6 pages. Such is the nature of converting a multi-page .pdf file to .jpg format, we end up with 6 files(1 file per page). Sorry about that.

Here we go:

Excalibur EX-21CE PCB REMOVAL_Page_1.jpg

Excalibur EX-21CE PCB REMOVAL_Page_2.jpg

Excalibur EX-21CE PCB REMOVAL_Page_3.jpg

Excalibur EX-21CE PCB REMOVAL_Page_4.jpg

Excalibur EX-21CE PCB REMOVAL_Page_5.jpg

Excalibur EX-21CE PCB REMOVAL_Page_6.jpg

That's it for now.

Anyone reading the above will notice that I also removed the motor from the machine (I thought it MAY help in removing the PCB). It did not, but as motor removal also has a couple of quite tricky points to it, I shall do a separate write up on motor removal and make a new post in this section soon.

AES

UPDATE 4th Dec 2023:

Sorry folks, there's a typo in item 5 of the above Procedure. The STRAIN RELIEF needs a 22 mm AF open ended spanner, NOT 23 mm AF as written.
My apologies.

Last edited:
For anyone who already owns one of the IMO excellent machines, or who is thinking in investing in one, I would say that overall, "support", and especially spare parts supply is very good indeed.

However, I recently had a major fault on my machine (PCB failed), and no matter where and who I tried, I could find no information on how to remove the PCB from what is a "rather cramped inside" machine. I therefore worked out my own removal procedure (trail and error - it took me a LONG time!) so if any other owners have similar problems here's "How to do it".

I wanted to do the whole write up in .pdf format so that anyone interested could make a single file download to keep for their own use. Unfortunately the UKW software does not accept .pdf (Why not I wonder? It's THE standard for "portable documents")!. So I converted the whole write up into .jpg format. Including the write up itself, which refers to names of part to remove, tools to use, and includes photos, diagrams, and a parts diagram plus parts list, runs to 6 pages. Such is the nature of converting a multi-page .pdf file to .jpg format, we end up with 6 files(1 file per page). Sorry about that.

Here we go:

View attachment 169426

View attachment 169427

View attachment 169428

View attachment 169429

View attachment 169430

View attachment 169432

That's it for now.

Anyone reading the above will notice that I also removed the motor from the machine (I thought it MAY help in removing the PCB). It did not, but as motor removal also has a couple of quite tricky points to it, I shall do a separate write up on motor removal and make a new post in this section soon.

AES

UPDATE 4th Dec 2023:

Sorry folks, there's a typo in item 5 of the above Procedure. The STRAIN RELIEF needs a 22 mm AF open ended spanner, NOT 23 mm AF as written.
My apologies.
Thank you for the information. I have an EX-30 and believe that the PCB and motor have been damaged and will need replacement. Where did you get hold of the PCB and motor and how much did they cost? Many thanks.

Here we go:

View attachment 169426

View attachment 169427

View attachment 169428

View attachment 169429

View attachment 169430

View attachment 169432

That's it for now.

AES

UPDATE 4th Dec 2023:

My apologies.

Thank you for the information. I have an EX-30 and believe that the PCB and motor have been damaged and will need replacement. Where did you get hold of the PCB and motor and how much did they cost? Many thanks.

Thanks for looking Martin. I WILL get around to doing the motor removal/replacement write up "soon"! It seem at least one other Forum member has a similar problem, the only difference is that his machine is the EX-30 model.

Thanks for looking at the old PCB. Remembering that the "new/old" one cost roughly £140, I think that sticking to the discussed BER limit of roughly 50-60% of new price makes sense. And as said before, NO rush, my machine is working perfectly again.

Cheers

Back