Ooooooooowwwwwwwww!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrimTheKing

Established Member
Reaction score
Just got back from an hour in the dentists chair having my gum cut, jaw cut out and head/jaw nearly dislocated all in a vain attempt to remove a deep impacted wisdom tooth, all to no avail. :(

Now I have a face that feels like I've been kicked in it for an hour, jaw that's killing me, numb mouth, pain like I've not known for a long time and still have the pineapple tooth in place!!! :shock:

Got to wait a week, with antibiotics now for it to heal well enough to then go and have a general at the dental hospital to have it done there.

Not happy bunny :(

Hi,

I had a similar thing, the dentist had to cut my gum to pull a tooth after it sheared off (badly done filling) not nice at all for about a week.

Pete

At Uni - one of my flatmates had one out under general - came back looking like the facial equivalent of Quasimodo! :wink:

No scaring the children. :lol:

Dibs-h":2wn3p538 said:
At Uni - one of my flatmates had one out under general - came back looking like the facial equivalent of Quasimodo! :wink:

No scaring the children. :lol:

T'other half is medical: in her day (we're seriously ancient!) she did a year of pre-med uni with the dentists. The joke was this,

"How can you tell someone's had their wisdom teeth out under general anaesthetic? Look for bruises on the chest."

I've got one left. The three they did were such a nasty experience I resolved not to go back for the last one. So far it's not given any trouble.

Sorry for the unpleasantness, Trim - I have _huge_ sympathy!

Mark,

Take no notice of these lot they're just trying to put you off :)

I had all 4 out at once when I was 19 under general anaesthetic, back then it was a 3 day stay in hospital. When I came round from the procedure all I was left with was 2 little bruises either side of my chin and 16 stitches in my mouth, after about 24hrs I was fine.

Cheers

Steve

I had two out at the dentists.
Usual injection in the gums.
One didn't hurt at all - I didn't even notice he'd done it until he showed me the tooth.
The other stung slightly.
Now I'm feeling smug I'll run away ...!!! :D

If it's any consolation I bashed my thumb with one of those square headed hammers last night...

Fortunately I have none or if I did they've long gone but you have my sympathies.

Arnica works well at reducing swelling/bruising. Not quite as well as a 1/2 bottle of Talisker but not far off.

Haha, thanks for the sympathy chaps ;)

I had an upper one out a few years ago and because it was fully erupted had the same experience as cambournepete, in and out the door again inside 10 mins.

Unfortunately this one is still impacted in the gum/jaw so she was twisting it and cutting bone away and allsorts but it just wouldn't come :shock:

She offered to stop but I told her to carry on and just get it over with. Finally we had to stop when the anaesthetic started to wear off and I could feel the drill cutting :sick:

She had given me all the doses she could and we had been at it for almost an hour by this time so I ballsed it out for another 5 mins but then it just hurt too much. She reckoned it would probably take another half hour and by that time I would be feeling everything she did!!!

I'm fairly stoic when it comes to pain but that was too much for me :oops:

Oh heck, don't start on wisdom teeth!
Back in my 20s, both my lower WT were growing horizontally under the back teeth when they found them on x-ray, so it was a 2 day hospital job, bruises everywhere and face like a ballon, then two days starting to hurt more and more as an infection set in and the antibiotics took time to work. Remember it clearly, because the worst day of all was the same day as Aberfan, which I guess should have put things into perspective.
When I went back for the post-op check, the surgeon said "I didn't think I'd tell you how bad it would be beforehand in case you didn't turn up".

Who needs wisdom (teeth)?

Ooh!
I feel for you. Wisdom teeth do the daftest things, given their name! All hassle or nothing, it seems.
Hope it goes OK with the general.

SF

TTK showing your age, wisdom teeth coming out.

My days when men were bold the dentist used to put a foot to your shoulder to give more leverage, he gave up on me, sent me to the dental hospital and I got a student dentist whose hand shook whilst he held the grinder. Hope you get a fully qualified operator.

Mark, much sympathy. I had all mine out under a general anaesthetic in hospital yonks ago and can still remember the amount of sympathy that the ward sister dished out..."you're only in here for teeth!" Right.

My brother had all four out in hospital as well. My mother went to see him after the op and saw him lying in bed, white as a sheet, half comatose, with a face that looked like a beaten up football.
She leaned over and quietly asked him..."how do you feel dear?"

Rog replied in one word..."super" - Rob

Had mine done under a general too. I chiefly remember how wonderful the pre-med of Pethidine was, I stared at a ceiling fan and realised I knew all the secrets of the universe - unfortunately I forgot them after the op.

Chris Knight":3rfytvyy said:
Had mine done under a general too
I was going to write that too Chris, but working as I do for the MOD I decided to add the caveat in case there were one or two smirks :lol: - Rob

devonwoody":178l5u2t said:
I'm a ripe old 34 in July, although the amount of abuse I've put my body through over the years through rugby, football and drunken brawling i'm probably closer to about 60 :D

List so far includes:

2 x herniated discs between L4 & S1 (In constant pain and untreatable until I retire from footy then they can fuse them but I will lose some mobility)
Broken right Tib
Broken right ulna, radius & humerous (all same incident)
Broken all fingers except left hand ring finger, some multiple times
Broken right foot (2nd mtatarsal, years before it was fashionable) :)
Right shoulder crunches and won't move much above shoulder height without mucho paino
Broken left scaphoid
Depressed fracture of right cheek
Multiple torn/detached muscles, mostly in legs but did manage to tear an ab which is one of the most painful things I've ever done
Left knee rebuilt 2 years ago due to wear and tear
Only thing I've never had to have (apart from after knee op) is stitches... touch wood!

So all in all I'm a bit of a wreck, but without my sports I would be kicking the cats :D

Chris Knight":pr4r57lj said:
Had mine done under a general too. I chiefly remember how wonderful the pre-med of Pethidine was, I stared at a ceiling fan and realised I knew all the secrets of the universe - unfortunately I forgot them after the op.

:lol: I've got some of that coming on Friday. Tho this procedure will be hard to put out of my mind :shock: :?

Never had problems with my WT, infact no trouble with my teeth at all, not even a filling...... Yet! :roll:

Mark, next time take a canteen of whiskey...

TrimTheKing":2v7f2rpe said:
devonwoody":2v7f2rpe said:
I'm a ripe old 34 in July, although the amount of abuse I've put my body through over the years through rugby, football and drunken brawling i'm probably closer to about 60 :D

List so far includes:

2 x herniated discs between L4 & S1 (In constant pain and untreatable until I retire from footy then they can fuse them but I will lose some mobility)
Broken right Tib
Broken right ulna, radius & humerous (all same incident)
Broken all fingers except left hand ring finger, some multiple times
Broken right foot (2nd mtatarsal, years before it was fashionable) :)
Right shoulder crunches and won't move much above shoulder height without mucho paino
Broken left scaphoid
Depressed fracture of right cheek
Multiple torn/detached muscles, mostly in legs but did manage to tear an ab which is one of the most painful things I've ever done
Left knee rebuilt 2 years ago due to wear and tear
Only thing I've never had to have (apart from after knee op) is stitches... touch wood!

So all in all I'm a bit of a wreck, but without my sports I would be kicking the cats :D

Wow - walking medical student teaching aid!

Dibs-h":3qlkgcx3 said:
TrimTheKing":3qlkgcx3 said:
devonwoody":3qlkgcx3 said:

List so far includes:...

Wow - walking medical student teaching aid!
Tell me about it! One of my surgeons doing my knee said the same thing. It's not an accolade I'm particularly proud of though. Constant pain takes the edge off this fine achievement ;)

Back