Living in UK

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BradNaylor":2btj0r7b said:
Living costs are a lot cheaper up here, the people are friendlier, the schools better, and the countryside infinitely more beautiful!

only downside is that his kids would end up with an intimate knowledge of whippets, flat caps, black pudding etc. and have accents that are barely intelligible to most other English speakers :wink:

BradNaylor":txqzovt3 said:
There seem to plenty of options to fly to Rome from Manchester - the UK's biggest airport outside of the London area.

http://www.cheapflights.co.uk/flights/Rome/Manchester/

Living costs are a lot cheaper up here, the people are friendlier, the schools better, and the countryside infinitely more beautiful!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

True but I think Luca might work for Alitalia and so limited to their routes. Anyway, Manchester is the wrong side of the Pennines if you're going that far north :wink:

Thank you for your clarification BSM; I appreciate your points. I would be the first to admit there are a) 'lemons' in the profession and b) there are some strange appointments(!) in autonomous schools. But then, can't we both name reasonably independent businesses, where the same practices take place daily! What inflames people is that 'sharp practice' or inept individuals in my profession can leave such a lasting effect on the development (or not!) of a child. Equally, there are thousands of us across the country trying our damdest to be professional, draw out the best in a child and do it under the tightest P.C. regulations and highest parental expectations ever. I just felt slightly ' got at' and decided to stand up for us all.

Sam

Have you considered Norhtern Ireland?
A lot cheaper than England for housing and the standard of education imho is better ( I moved to england because I didn't get high enough grades at A level to go to a Uni in NI.)

Pvt_Ryan":3s7wphx5 said:
Have you considered Norhtern Ireland?
A lot cheaper than England for housing and the standard of education imho is better ( I moved to england because I didn't get high enough grades at A level to go to a Uni in NI.)

Doesnt nothern Ireland still have selective schooling (as does buckinghamshire and one or two other places) If so my experience in bucks would indicate that the Grammar schools are better academically than a comprable comprehensive, but that the secondary moderns are often worse - therefore the quality of his kids schooling would depend on whether they could pass the 11 plus (which isnt necessarily that good an assesment of inteligence )

Not sure now, I think they still do as when the 11+ went away the schools brought in entrance exams. I haven't lived there in 8 years so not 100% sure, however I am a supporter of selective schooling, but not of catchment areas ( I really hate them.)

Depending on the age of the Kids, if they are still at primary school then he should aim to get the kids into a prep school for one of the grammars, guarantees them a place (if they pass the exam).

Can't really speak for the secondary schools however I do know people who went that are doing fine, and I know people who got into grammar schools that noone in their right mind would employ. So I think it swings in roundabouts, The grammars are a better place to be as there are generally less wasters but at the end of the day you can lead the horse to water...

woodbloke":gwva2sso said:
big soft moose":gwva2sso said:
... selective schooling (as does buckinghamshire and one or two other places)
Salisbury for one, as I said earlier - Rob

well yes - but in wiltshire , and kent and other places its an optional 11 plus - you can choose for little jonny to take it , and if he fails he goes to the comp with the kids that didnt take it.

in buckinghamshire (and i think NI , but I could be wrong about the latter) its mandatory selective schooling and there are no comprehensives - its grammar/high school if you pass and secondary mod if you fail

Northern Ireland still has has 60-odd selective grammar schools; basically, if you get an A grade in the new version of the '11 plus' exam, you get in. In some less densely populated areas, B grades are also accepted. Their exam board, CCEA, is very highly regarded by university selection boards; eg my three children went through just such a Grammar School, and are at Cambridge, Durham and Bath. In each of their year groups was a healthy Oxbridge contingent and about 90% of A level pupils in their year groups went on to University.

If our original Italian poster, Luca, were to fly into George Best Belfast City Airport or Belfast International, he would have a choice of 12-15 high quality schools like these, within a 20 minute drive. In addition, our Housing Cost Index just went down again by 8-10%. We are cheap to buy in at the minute.

We also have 'Group B' schools, which have a much wider intake, but you pay fees of £1200 - £2700 per year. I teach in one such and even our Boarding Fees are moderate, about £7500; compare that to any of the Public schools of England!! These Group B schools are just as good as traditional grammars and sit identical exams; one of my ex-pupils is Professor of Theoretical physics in Cambridge, another holds a similar post in Edinburgh. I also taught Gary Lightbody, but that probably doesn't count!

We never subscribed to the Comprehensive sysytem or ethos over here, we saw the absolute nightmare it created and would have nothing to do with it. We DO have some truely excellent secondaries, free to all. One in particilar, Ashfield, is three minutes from the City Airport and is widely admired by both its clientele and nearby schools. It, and many like it around the province, sends 'graduates' of G.C.S.E. on to said selective grammars and thence to Uni.

Sam

Latest posts

Back