Impact Driver : Bosch Blue or Metabo

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have said Blue Bosch until my experience trying to get spare parts - now Festool is my go-to brand but Hikoki would be my alternative.

Bosch products are good - their customer support isn't.

One consideration for you might be a CAS-compatible battery - which is Metabo and others.

And without getting political, I share OP's aversion to Chinese products.

I don't think that anyone can put all chinese or asian products under a single banner, this topic has been covered several times before and it really depends who is buying. Yes you can buy an awful lot of tack but only because there are a lot of people willing to buy it, if you are the likes of say big brand D and you get your products manufactured in China then you stipulate and control quality which they are more than capable of delivering, we cannot say all Chinese products are tack just because a lot of our Uk companies are getting re branded goods made for a cost to ensure they get a good profit. Just remember the Chinese are the most advanced with hypersonic technology, are about to surpass the Americans in space technology and have a very advanced satelite navigation system (BeiDou) so it is not all tack !

I don't really get the impact driver thing, yes if I'm putting in a lot of big screws I will use one but beyond that I normally find a standard drill driver more suitable. People seem to use impacts for everything these days, even putting the tiniest screws in hinges. In most cases I find them slower and less accurate than a drill driver, and the noise they make is just rude!

The only advice I could give the OP is pick the cordless platform you are going to use and get their impact.

Not trying to funny but have you considered Lidls parkside range? I remember seeing a teardown of a Lidl drill/driver and it had a Millwaukee motor in it. And how is it that Lidl can do there batteries so cheaply yet others cant or more lkely wont!

A short tool maybe a real "get out of jail " card for working in tight spaces. With an properly rated stubby wood bit, impacts are great for work between joist drilling new holes for cables
Also, on some like the Milwaukee Fuel you can switch off the impact - on others like my DeWalt you can't - which obviously is better for use as a drill.

I don't really get the impact driver thing, yes if I'm putting in a lot of big screws I will use one but beyond that I normally find a standard drill driver more suitable. People seem to use impacts for everything these days, even putting the tiniest screws in hinges.
I am the same, with smaller screws in more delicate applications I will use a drill driver and finish off by screwdriver, with other jobs my Makita impact does a good job by driving them in hard and fast which is great in the right situation. Where some people get it wrong is that the impact driver is rotational impact and not linear like a hammer drill. There are also several themes on the impact drill, some anvil and others fluid.

But China has been around an awful long time and as we saw when the Ever given got stuck in the Suez it caused chaos on the world markets so I think we just have to accept China is China and a very different culture to ours, plus it won't be that long before the Yen replaces the dollar in international currency.

It's not often quality issues that lead people not to buy Chinese, though, it's China.
For me I've just decided its thw one thing I can do to help the oppressed/abused. I usually (when making a substantial purchase where I think it might make a difference with so called ethical manufacturers) email and ask where x, y or z was manufactured - for example with Rapha cycling stuff - and give a tiny lesson about the concentration camps and surveillance and abuse faced by (in particular) the Uigher communities.

What they do with that info is up to them and their concience. There's actually a certification that traces the cotton that is manufactured there to ensure it's not from the slave/forced labour by the Uighers in East Turkestan (China calls it Xiangang province).

For the record I do and have bought China goods and like has been said, it's hard not to. But I just try my best with what resources clout I/we do have at our disposal.

I think the impact of China has been over whelming and really in only a few decades, I can still recall when people were saying that everythings made in Japan and then China just appeared. I think this is just going to be a case of if you cannot beat them join them, or at least you will just have to accept them. This is where our government is getting it wrong, manufacturers do not want the high labour cost of the west and therefore we cannot resurrect our once mighty manufacturing industry and cannot compete, we can only hope for the niche markets so no amount of investment will change this.

For me, as I suspect for a few others, the issue is not the quality or lack of, from Chinese manufacturers. The last item I brought from a particular "royal" British Tool manufacturer was poor quality and zero customer support.

For me, the issue is the CCP - who like it or not get a slice of whatever you pay - and their behaviour.

Sadly, in today's corporate world mammon is king.

I have the Milwaukee fuel, the power of this thing is incredible however it does have power curve settings that cater for just about every situation. I used to be a dyed in the wool DeWalt user but have changed to Milwaukee about 5 years ago and have not looked back. Their after sales service is superb as well.

For me, the issue is the CCP - who like it or not get a slice of whatever you pay - and their behaviour.
Is this not also true for our government, they have openly chosen to take from the lower earners to give to there wealthy supporters and looking to curb the workers rights to protest, we are on our way with that bewieldered muppet at the helm.

Whilst you might say that our govt is just a rubbish. Some of which may be true in the sense that it has and does authorise illegal (under international law) detention and extradition etc for it's citizens (and others) to be sent to countries where they will obviously be tortured at secret 'black sites'. Last I checked our govt (did I say the bit about em being rubbish) doesn't have 3 million of the population in concentration camps due to the nature of their ethnicity, religion or culture.

Nor does our govt authorise a soldier to come and live with my wife and children. In my bed whilst I am kept in a prison somewhere whilst they help 'retrain' my wife and kids by raping her and abusing them (emotionally and physically). Then say it's because I'm a terrorist (due to being muslim) so it's all fair game.

Now, with all due respect, really.. and I mean no offence. If you notice I started the thread in the 'off topic' section due to my reasons for wanting to buy a non-China manufactured product. Therefore I even madw the title Bosch Blue or Metabo (trade). Thankfully one of the mods have moved it into the tools/review section.

So please would it be ok to stay on topic and leave all the off topic stuff out of it. How anyone wishes to buy their products is uo to them. I've not bought Coke (due to their affiliation with Israel who abuse the Palestinians) for almost 10 years. Now I'm slowly making the transition of some of my work gear to non-China. Had I lived in the Hitler era and it was allowed I hope to think I'd make the same stance there.

Now... back on topic pls and lets leave the China is good or China is as bad as the US/UK to another thread. :) please 🤔😆

In other (relevant) news. I think my heart is becoming set on the Metabo (German made versions) but in 12v. That allows me to get rid of the AEG drill driver I've had for almost 10 years but upgrades me to a tiny impact aswell (and get rid of the Milwaukee which I bought used thinking it's all still German made).

The Milwaukee is 18v I think and about 200nm of power. But probably overkill for me as I'll only ever drive 100mm bolts or screws in tight spaces (during the loft renovation and then the shed build). The Milwaukee has been my first ID but definitely fallen in love with the comcept after a few little gaffs...

This one D & M Tools - Power Tools, Hand Tools and Accessories

Reason for discounting the Bosch is due to the risk of it being China made (as I've checked alot of wbay listings and yet to find a blue with that logo on) but cos most of the reviews find them to lack the power of their other brothers like Milwaukee/Dewalt (phoar... that's powerful stuff isn't it) and I don't fancy that. Metabo will probably be the platform I stick with (unless I buys me an 18v Bosch :)

Whilst you might say that our govt is just a rubbish. Some of which may be true in the sense that it has and does authorise illegal (under international law) detention and extradition etc for it's citizens (and others) to be sent to countries where they will obviously be tortured at secret 'black sites'. Last I checked our govt (did I say the bit about em being rubbish) doesn't have 3 million of the population in concentration camps due to the nature of their ethnicity, religion or culture.

Nor does our govt authorise a soldier to come and live with my wife and children. In my bed whilst I am kept in a prison somewhere whilst they help 'retrain' my wife and kids by raping her and abusing them (emotionally and physically). Then say it's because I'm a terrorist (due to being muslim) so it's all fair game.

Now, with all due respect, really.. and I mean no offence. If you notice I started the thread in the 'off topic' section due to my reasons for wanting to buy a non-China manufactured product. Therefore I even madw the title Bosch Blue or Metabo (trade). Thankfully one of the mods have moved it into the tools/review section.

So please would it be ok to stay on topic and leave all the off topic stuff out of it. How anyone wishes to buy their products is uo to them. I've not bought Coke (due to their affiliation with Israel who abuse the Palestinians) for almost 10 years. Now I'm slowly making the transition of some of my work gear to non-China. Had I lived in the Hitler era and it was allowed I hope to think I'd make the same stance there.

Now... back on topic pls and lets leave the China is good or China is as bad as the US/UK to another thread. :) please 🤔😆
Spot on analysis; people think our Govt is "rubbish" but they are saints compared to many world Govts, but that doesn't fit thier liberal agendas. Stay on topic? This lot? You're in the wrong dance hall for that. They would jump tracks to push a political agenda if they were a train on rails.

my 2 cents is I've been very happy with my Erbauer impact driver from Screwfix - less than £100, 4AH battery which will suit most people and iirc actually has slightly more Nm torque than some other "trade" brands like dewalt etc.

I've also got a mate who bought the variable torque milwaukee and was impressed by it, but he only uses it for DIY so hasn't pushed it in a semi or full trade "use all day" situation, whereas I have with my Erbauer.

Latest posts

Back