Drill Driver Set?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Metabo powermaxx ( the 12v with round batteries ) are brilliant, had mine for years, 2 drivers and the impact which I dont use often. You can change the chuck from a drill style to a hex and they come with angled attachment. I hardly ever bother with my 18v makita drill unless drilling really big holes or using a big holesaw.
They are the same as the Mafell ones. Deals can be found.

Ollie

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies.

I think I’m leaning towards a brushless 3 or 4ah combi drill with two batteries. Possibly Milwaukee. Then I’ll look at buying the driver later. I don’t think I’ll need many other 18v tools going forward. Maybe an SDS which will be cheap as it will only get used a few times a year. Everything else is corded.

I’m on sites every so often for work and it did strike me that the last couple I visited seemed to be all Milwaukee with a few Makita dotted about. All the Bosch and DeWalt seems to have disappeared.

Edit: Forgot to say this is for fairly heavy DIY. Every room in the house is on the list hence why I’m upgrading from the knackered old Ryobi.

Thanks for all the replies.

I think I’m leaning towards a brushless 3 or 4ah combi drill with two batteries. Possibly Milwaukee. Then I’ll look at buying the driver later. I don’t think I’ll need many other 18v tools going forward. Maybe an SDS which will be cheap as it will only get used a few times a year. Everything else is corded.

I’m on sites every so often for work and it did strike me that the last couple I visited seemed to be all Milwaukee with a few Makita dotted about. All the Bosch and DeWalt seems to have disappeared.

Edit: Forgot to say this is for fairly heavy DIY. Every room in the house is on the list hence why I’m upgrading from the knackered old Ryobi.
I'd spend the £50? extra for a second driver as going from drill to screw mode each time would be annoying to say the least!!

Milwaukee for me, but remember you can get battery adapters now to swap from one brand to the other. I did this with a Makita hedge trimmer as generally makita has cheaper tools.
It may pay you to check the availability of adapters for your Ryobi batteries with the bigger brands. That way you might get some free extra batteries.

Take care with the adaptors. My daughter's partner, a builder told me they'd fried all their Makita batteries using one of the adaptors. I have read of this happening elsewhere as well. (Some of the electronics controlling the tool or charger are apparently in the battery itself - I'm sure someone will tell you more.)

Take care with the adaptors. My daughter's partner, a builder told me they'd fried all their Makita batteries using one of the adaptors. I have read of this happening elsewhere as well. (Some of the electronics controlling the tool or charger are apparently in the battery itself - I'm sure someone will tell you more.)
i agree, the adaptors seem a bit of a gamble. That said, I thought makita batteries had over discharge protection which is why they cost a few quid more than dewalt where the protection is in the tools. I'd have assumed the makita ones were safe to use in adaptors because of that. Proves what they say about assumptions i guess

I've used Makita batteries with an adapter in a Ryobi nailer for a couple of years now and no problems so far 🤞 I try not to let the battery get totally flat though.

The tradesmen around here tend to use DeWalt or Milwaukee, some having changed from Makita. The stand out thing is that virtually no one uses Bosch.
I bought a Makita twin set a driver and combi when the offer was, both boxed at B&Q for £92.00 12 years ago only had to buy one set of batteries in that time.

I picked up the Milwaukee with 4ah batteries today. Haven’t had chance to use it yet but seems well made.

Bit annoyed that I’m building a collection of red and black tools. All my pliers are Minotaur or knipex and I have some cheap Wilko stuff the same colour. I’d like it if a big tool brand had a more muted colour scheme because I like all those mid 20th century browns and greens.

Latest posts

Back