Drill Driver Set?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DeWalt XR range, ten years and two house renovations and still using the same batteries.

I like the Bosch professional 12v stuff with a couple of 3ah batteries.
And a cheap SDS titan from Screwfix for bigger stuff.

if you go down the dewalt route - offers at screwfix and also on milwaukee (i dont know that brand), i have loads of dewalt

screwfix have various offers on dewalt - all metal gearing
These are brushed , even though it says XR , dont make the same mistake, in the advert, i thought XR were brushless and refering to batteries a bit confusing , i purchased the drill and circular saw on the XR bases and was wrong

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-d...1me8dXAXXbRwkkyaDLIaAtK4EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The get a 3speed impact driver bare
https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-d...r-brushless-cordless-impact-driver-bare/551fu
I fit both in the t-stak case OK , but maybe worth checking, make the size has not changed - I keep the charger separate and the batteries (as i say i now have a range of batts ) are kept in the house and warm , as i know they dont like cold temperatures

Toolstation also do a lot of offers

I dont know the milwaukee range - but also on offer, £100 off
https://www.screwfix.com/p/milwauke...ah-li-ion-redlithium-cordless-twin-pack/969gfworth a look at milwaukee and the other tools you may want to buy in future , just to compare prices

Last edited:
Unless you have a specific need for an impact driver, I'd spend the money on a more powerful drill/ driver. There isn't much an impact driver can do that a drill/driver can't, and for many jobs a drill/driver is more controllable.

I have a Dewalt 18V, Bosch 12V, Bosch SDS mains, and Milwaukee M18.. and the Milwaukee wins hands down.

Also the Dewalt website is an awful hell hole of woeful design and infuriatingly annoying to use. Good luck comparing any drills, easily getting any sense of how they line up. Likewise Bosch when I last went on it was similarly annoying.

Milwaukee has a much better website, and definitely my next purchase once the Bosch 12V dies is a M12 as the specs look really nice and my M18 one is a dream

I have half a dozen Milwaukee 18v Fuel tools, and they really are the dog’s la la’s, but if I were starting over I would go for the Milwaukee 12v Fuel range. Lightweight, smaller, powerful … and cheaper than the 18v equivalent!

Not specific to Milwaukee, there are also impact drills that have 4 “gears” or modes, which as you would imagine include “low”, “medium”, “high”, but the 4th setting is an “intelligent” setting, so used with (quick change) hex drill bits, good for straight drilling (I.e. pilot holes), making them somewhat of an all-rounder. Eg, Milwaukee M12FID2-0 12v Fuel Impact Driver.

If you ask yourself: Do I really need a separate impact driver and drill? But also consider that there are more sophisticated 4-speed intelligent impact drivers out there, then you might find that this does the job, especially as you sound like you might already have a corded hammer drill for the odd hole in masonry?

Also, you did say you make use of a drill press, so any finer work is covered by this machine, which in my opinion is a good reason why you may only need a decent 4 mode impact drill.

In any event, I would avoid the impact drivers with only 2 settings. They profess to have speed sensitivity but it’s too easy to strip or snap screws and bolts on the “low” setting IMO.

Indeed I do and they seem to cope with a bit of a bashing. I'm currently abusing my tools at this old pile.

It's going to be my workshop for the next few months too.....quite lovely with lots of space.

IMG_2472.JPG

IMG_2473.JPG

IMG_2475.JPG

Not quite sure where to put the bench though.

St. Barts Museum in London.
Ooh - am jealous, I used to walk past there daily en-route between High Holborn and the Clerkenwell Rd for work at Reuters back in the time where you could walk through Smithfields market amongst the sawdust lined woodblock flooring, the Bumarees (porters) and traders and pick up some choice cuts of dead animal for your weekend roast!
I highly recommend a visit to the museum at St Johns gate if you have the time Knights Templar era - fascinating stuff, albeit the history in that one room you are working in is immense!!

A point to remember when buying power tools. An acqaintance works runs a builder's merchants said one day when we were talking tools - I'm always amazed at the number of people who pay a small fortune for tools then buy the cheapest blades, bits etc. and then moan about the tool's performance.

If you are thinking that you may want to buy more tools in the future, it is worth looking at those tools as well, before making a brand choice. I like Makita so when I changed to li-ion I went for the 10,8 volt (12 volt max) basically because I am getting older and I like the compactness and weight, and they do 99% of what I want them to do. They are also cheaper than 18 volt.

My vote is with millwaukee fuel , brushless . Very strong and replacement batteries are not too expensive . I try to buy when they are on offer or choose the option with two batteries . When you have a few kits you can then look at other tools in the range but buy the tool bare ( no case , batteries or charger ) which can be a lot cheaper . Im almost done with replacing all my ryobi which tbh for light, occasionly heavy work they are ok but everyday / heavy use they are not realy upto it ..
This
Buy a spare charger and spare batteries and you'll always be sorted

This
Buy a spare charger and spare batteries and you'll always be sorted
two tools, two batteries, one charger, no need for an additional charger for that setup. the original post was for a twin set for under £200 to replace ryobis, so we are obviously talking DIY use, any brushless, li-ion set with reasonable specs from a known brand will meet DIY use with ease

It all depends on how much you are going to use them and what you are using them for. The tradesmen on our sites tend to go for Dewalt or Makita, but I have noticed a bit of a swing towards Milwaukee recently. I've always used Makita as they are pretty hard wearing and not quite as 'bling' (or pinchable if you like) as Dewalt, but I have recently moved over to Einhell for use at home and in the workshop. They sit somewhere in between the home market and tradesman market and seem well made and reliable so far. I have a cordless drill, impact gun, hedge trimmer, angle grinder, biscuit jointer, multi tool and palm router so far and they all work well for me and are not too expensive:
https://www.toolstation.com/einhell-pxc-18v-cordless-brushless-60nm-combi-drill/p32736Just a suggestion if you want to spend a little less.

I changed from a mix of Bosch and Ryobi cordless tools (all sold on FB Marketplace during 1st lockdown) to Milwaukee. I can thoroughly recommend them.

It all depends on how much you are going to use them and what you are using them for. The tradesmen on our sites tend to go for Dewalt or Makita, but I have noticed a bit of a swing towards Milwaukee recently. I've always used Makita as they are pretty hard wearing and not quite as 'bling' (or pinchable if you like) as Dewalt, but I have recently moved over to Einhell for use at home and in the workshop. They sit somewhere in between the home market and tradesman market and seem well made and reliable so far. I have a cordless drill, impact gun, hedge trimmer, angle grinder, biscuit jointer, multi tool and palm router so far and they all work well for me and are not too expensive:
https://www.toolstation.com/einhell-pxc-18v-cordless-brushless-60nm-combi-drill/p32736Just a suggestion if you want to spend a little less.
Interesting that you recommend einhell, i have a hedge trimmer and reciprocating saw that have both been great for the money, but I bought a garden strimmer that is utter utter junk, I,ve rather been put off the brand. they certainly seem fairly well priced and as I have the batteries I may consider them more in the future.

Back