Milwaukee M12 Installation Drill/Driver

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectric

Staff member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
For anyone looking at a drill driver with interchangeable heads then this from Milwaukee is a nice tool. What I have been finding is that when you get a fixing in an awkward or hard to access location or the drill driver just cannot fit into the space and you end up screwing a fixing in manually that it is really hard going on the wrist, not a problem in my younger years but now not so much fun. I needed a means to drive these fixings in, even in difficult locations so started to look at the options and ended up with this Milwaukee.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/mil...n-drill-driver-with-interchangeable-heads-kit
My main cordless are all Makita drills and impact drivers, everything else is 110 corded, Makita does not do one of these type of tools with interchangable heads so my options were the Bosch or this one. I went for this one as the right angle adaptor can fit at any angle and either the chuck or 1/4 drive adaptor can be used, plus it has a very handy offset drive adaptor along with it being small and lightweight which is also a positive with some task.

So if anyone is looking or has similar issues then it is worth buying and I would think a very handy tool for kitchen fitters.

I was really interested in that despite not having any other milwaukee power tools but the one thing that killed it was how they put the fwd reverse switch on top where it forced an awkward move of the thumb to operate it. Shame. The industry standard position for fwd reverse is great and I suspect that one piece of bad ergonomics is losing Milwaukee a lot of sales of this tool.
I use bosch, but don't like the bosch equivalent of your milwaukee enough to pay the ££ premium for it. After a lot of head scratching and even considering the festool original, i chose Bosch's 12v simple hex drill driver for much less money and find i'm using it a lot.
The festool seemed great but their battery is specific to that one tool, not just their brand, and that's just stupid.

I like how short and handy these drivers are without a drill chuck so it was a good buy even though it lacks your clever attachments.

I should also say that with a set of (milwaukee) drills with hex shanks, armeg wood beavers with hex shanks, holesaws with hex shanks, etc; I've been able to do everything I want within the capability of my little driver even though it doesn't have a 3 jaw chuck. I wasn't sure that would work out when I was buying it but so far it has.

Last edited:
I'm surprised Milwaukee haven't updated these with a normal fwd/reverse switch as it always seems to be the one thing people don't like on this drill :dunno:

They are overrated IMO, a long screwdriver bit at an angle and a short hand held screwdriver will cover most situations. Much better is the the shockwave right angle attachment.

but the one thing that killed it was how they put the fwd reverse switch on top where it forced an awkward move of the thumb to operate it
Yes that is not good when compared to Makita, on the Makita you can just push the slide switch with thumb or finger for forward and reverse which is so easy in comparison. I initially thought it might be something to do with it being brushless, no need for a heavier duty switch as it only controls the electronics but then realised Makita have retained the same slide switch on there brushless models so not a reason. It is also rather a small switch, looks/ feels like the same sort of switch used on Pc keyboards, again it does not switch any current so probably a cheaper solution and is probably fitted directly onto the PCB, but if you have larger fingers then not easy to use.

They are overrated IMO, a long screwdriver bit at an angle and a short hand held screwdriver will cover most situations. Much better is the the shockwave right angle attachment.

I did look at that attachment and for £20 a cheaper option but then I would still have been handling a larger cordless drill with the attachment in tight places so the fact the Milwaukee drill is much lighter and also provides a non impact driver with the offset head won the day. I completely blame my original issue on ageing, otherwise I would have been ok with stubby drivers, wobbly extensions and UJ's but you only discover this when you get to that point in time. Looking back to the days before there were any cordless tools and few corded tools, when chippies used muscle and I would be using a brace & bit to make holes through joist that could be drilled then yes it is an age thing.

a long screwdriver bit at an angle ...
Anyone else resort to daft bodges like this ... ?

20231119_133619.jpg

😀

I'm a Milwaukee fan. Is the metal Vs plastic gears thing a myth? Well, it was enough for me when my head was hurting with the choice.
My little drill and impact driver have both been great. I use a generic right angle CV converter.
Generic compatible M12 battery packs are a rip off.
The jig saw was disappointing.
I'd buy the drill and driver (and a larger, corded drill for masonry) again though

I’ve got this one Milwaukee M12BDDXKIT-202C 12v 2x2Ah Removable Chuck Drill Driver
its a Milwaukee 12v with multi heads and has the traditional forward reverse button above the trigger. Cracking little drill driver. Had it for years still going strong. I think for £170 good value. It comes with 2 batteries charger case and the 3 heads. It has a clever trick where you can put a standard driver bit in the bare head and then put the chuck over that. So if drilling pilot holes then driving screws, this makes for a quick swap over option.

Back