Impact Driver : Bosch Blue or Metabo

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redefined_cycles

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all and thanks for your insight in advance. I heard of the Metabo name on here and previously had assumed Milwaukee to be the best.

Recently I came into a well used Milwaukee impact driver for cheap and it's been a revelation for me. Though, definitely on its last legs. So in my continuing aim of consolidating all my tools I've decided to invest (and sell some of my other various drivers.

Above all I'm trying to stay China free (concentration camps) but I also don't want to compromise on quality. Rounded down to these units as they're both more than likely non-China produce and also very strong. Bosch would probably beat the Metabo in benchmark tests but then again, maybe the Metabo would outlast it. 12v will probably be plenty for me as it's 115nm. Price is also a major factor as I really need for the used-sales to fund the new kit.

The round down...

https://ffx.co.uk/product/Get/Metab...-Kit?msclkid=1e7cc26e52531944b5e3a1400f2061ab
V

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/bo...n-kit-inc-2x-2-0ah-batts-in-l-case-carry-case
If anyone has a 3rd option to pop in the mix then feel free. Milwaukee definitely a no no as it's made in PRC (as opposed to Taiwan build, which would be RofC)

Bosch have manufacturing in China as well as Malaysia, Mexico, Germany, Switzerland...
Metabo was bought by Hitachi (Japan) but is now owned by a global financial investment firm (KKR) listed on the New York stock Exchange. Oh, and they manufacture the majority of their tools in Shanghai these days.
Milwaukee brand has been owned for decades now by Techtronic Industries (TTI) and while many of the tools are made in China, TTI are listed on the Hong Kong stock exchange.

It is very hard to escape Chinese content in power tools, and quite unreasonable to tar all Chinese factories with one brush. I don't doubt that it does apply to some businesses and sectors but certainly not to all.

Milwaukee and Makita have a strong reputation for impact drivers.
Metabo and Bosch have the best batteries.

Just bought a new high power Milwaukke 18v fuel impact driver.....if anything it's toooooo strong....
I also use it as a 1/4 drive nut driver.....
I found it on eBay at 1/2 the average cost as a one day sale item....been looking for months....
I also have the strongest in the range 1/2 and 3/8 nut drivers.....brilliant.....

Very disapointed with Bosch....now it's on a par with Black n Decker, oh sorry DeWalt....noisey and not so cheap....

Sideways... I wasn't trying to tar all chinese factories with the same brush. How anyone decides to spend their money is up to them. I'm pereonally preferring to stay away as much as I can from chinese products until the human rights record starts changing. Mihht not change anything but I'm just doing melt bit. Samw way that during the Hitler era I'm certain many would have found the ethics to try and stay away from German products.

Not much but it's something that we have the ability to do. Yes, regards Bosch blue... I didn't actually know they had China manufacturing but at least there's the liklihood of it being equally from Malaysia, Taiwan, Swissland etc...

Metabo now have two companies. Theres the one owned by the investment firm/firms but also the original trade Metabo which is still German engineered and manufactured. Totally separate company to the one you mentioned. That's as far as I've read/understood anyway...

I have two Bosch Blue impact drivers (GDR18V-LI and GDR18V-1800C) and a Bosch Blue drill (GSR18VE-2-LI) that all share the same style of 18V batteries. When I converted my shop to Festool, I kept these Bosch tools because they work great. I would not hesitate to buy them again if they ever fail.

Bosch for me. 2 reasons.
One, I really like and rate their tools. I have a number of the 18v and 12v tools, plus their table saw.
Two, Bosch tools is predominantly owned by the Robert Bosch Stiftung (foundation). The profits from the many Bosch companies fund the work of the foundation. They claim to have invested £300m in the UK in the last 12 months. Personally, I collaborated with them in the telecare field about 12 years ago. They were a fantastic organisation to work with. So rather than my spend on tools simply going to some faceless corporation and it's shareholders, I buy Bosch.

I've owned and used makita, metabo and currently blue bosch ranges, including the impact drivers, and no surprise that they are all very good indeed !

I switched from makita to bosch a few years ago as at the time makita seemed to be having some battery issues and the bosch range looked a better bet. Not dissapointed since :)

To suggest they are on a par with B&D products these days is just silly :)

Whatever you decide to get from the bigger brands will likely do you well, I would choose on the basis of what other tools you might end up getting that would share the same battery platform as they don't all do everything ! Beyond that I would look for any special deals from my favourite two or three brands and that might swing it in a particular direction.

Metabo now have two companies. Theres the one owned by the investment firm/firms but also the original trade Metabo which is still German engineered and manufactured. Totally separate company to the one you mentioned. That's as far as I've read/understood anyway...
It's not actually like this.
Yes some of the Metabo branded tools are made in Germany - mostly premium models in the original Metabo dark green livery - but they are still owned by KKR.
The reason for the confusion is that the Hitachi power tools brand has been renamed Metabo HPT (for Hitachi Power Tools). The look of the two ranges is distinctly different but it's all now owned by the same outfit.

Unless you can get to handle the tools in a shop, and look at the label, I don't think you'll be able to choose....I have several blue Bosch tools, made in Malaysia, China, and even Switzerland! I have a Metabo sander which was made in Germany.

I imagine the 'what gets made where' decision is revisited quite frequently too, so there's no way of knowing where any current batch of tools may have originated.

Unless you can get to handle the tools in a shop, and look at the label, I don't think you'll be able to choose....I have several blue Bosch tools, made in Malaysia, China, and even Switzerland! I have a Metabo sander which was made in Germany.

I imagine the 'what gets made where' decision is revisited quite frequently too, so there's no way of knowing where any current batch of tools may have originated.
My Bosch are mostly Swiss or American, only one newer one isn't. The only tool I have that's total garbage is a Metabo sander.

Looks like the consensus is appearing as Bosch. Thanks all, I'll get looking at some deals for it. @Sideways do you have a link or somewhere I can read more into it as I'd read somewhere online about how they were distinctly owned by different companies. Appreciate the info...

Yes... indeed, that's what I'm hoping to move forward to. Hence why I'd narrowed my search down to Metabo (they share the same platform with the likes of Festool) and Bosch who share their battery platform with another range of brands (I forget the names).

Reason why i was also convinced about the two Metabo' being different is cos the trade version didn't appear to mention the cheaper 'tat' in their battery cross-compatibilty charts. :)

At those prices you could get a festool impact driver plus separate battery at FFX now. I have a small festool screwdrill at out performs my older bosch pro.

The impact driver is now a common tool and there is really very little to seperate the mainstream, Makita, Bosch, Hilti, Dewalt and Milwaukee all are used by the trades everyday. You see a lot of Dewalt but often people are tied to a brand because of the batteries and maybe not because it is the better tool.

Watch this video and you may re think your options because it looks like you cannot just make a decision based on the manufacturers power or torque specifications for a tool because there are other influencing factors.

The panosonic and Hitachi both fail a test with driving a large screw into Oak, the Dewalt out performed two models of Makita and a Bosch, the Metabo had a 1/2 drive so more of a bolt tool.

1664018607742.png

I'd agree with @Spectric .
My own impact is the very first brushless variant of the Bosch that did poorly in Roger Bisby's review, and yet I like the tool.
It has exceptionally good ergonomics for me. Very good lights and the the 3 speed. Above all for my uses the combination hex socket and 1/2" drive is very handy as I use it on nuts and bolts not just screws.
It is a little slow but it will undo wheel nuts that have been driven on with far heavier drivers at the tyre fitters and drove a bunch of #8 × 140mm screws into softwood the other day without any issue at all. Those are pretty big screws by DIY standards.
An electrical installer I chatted with once uses impact drivers on tiny m3.5 electrical screws. It's essential to him because the no / low load speed is very fast and it saves real time spinning long but finely threaded machine screws in and out of wiring boxes. The driver never really works in impact mode, more as a light compact drill driver.

Power may not be the most important thing unless you are driving huge numbers of fixings or big construction lag screws. Low noise on the other hand tends to be overlooked but is a real "nice to have" feature.

A short tool maybe a real "get out of jail " card for working in tight spaces. With an properly rated stubby wood bit, impacts are great for work between joist drilling new holes for cables

Remember also that batteries make a difference. A driver may work well enough for most jobs with just a 2ah battery and be light in the hand. Put an 8Ah battery on and it will become a lump but will probably drive noticeably harder.

Last edited:
Back