Impact Driver : Bosch Blue or Metabo

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@niemeyjt thanks for that info. I had wondered whether this was the sort of service tradespeople were getting when buying into a full brand! Took about a month for the driver to be repaired under warranty and sent back - no comms from FFX whatsover, even after I'd emailed em at week 3.

Unfortunately (or not, as I did get the cordless SDS as a freebie) I'm kinda already married to the brand now (Bosch) with the impact, hammer and sds all in cordless flavour. Hopefully my breakdown was a one off and I will use the Bosch website in future - of which the trade (pro360) app is terrible and almost useless...

I have three Bosch routers and an angle grinder, probably 125 years old between them, excellent kit ............ that doesn't mean stuff earlier or later is good of course - their quality goes up and down, usually I suspect on the whim of their bean counters.
Many many companies ruined by Bean counters. Fords is one why resale values low and know a few back room boys they say Bean counters change there spec's to cheaper parts/shorter wiring then when built constant failures and recalls.
Our Ford truck years back spent more time at fords than on the road! Almost changed our operators licence base to Fords Dagenham! and bits still fell of it/failed because of them

I would love to see a resurgence in power tools and indeed other things being manufactured in countries other than China as I feel their dominance in the world is going to have very serious consequences.
Europe, USA/ Canada, Australia etc. are more than capable but we must be prepared to pay the extra, We are saving now but will pay a high price in the long run, Russia today and within the next couple of decades….
The likes of Dyson moved their manufacturing from the UK to reduce costs but still charge a premium plus price for there products and anyone that’s ever bought one can see that their cordless vac is overpriced by a couple of hundred quid and quite honestly the one we bought is not fit for purpose. Back to power tools I have a B&D hammer drill that as far as I can remember was Swiss made back in the days of the association with Elu
I have drilled hundreds of 125mm cores with it as well as every thing else and is still going strong, In the short term it was relatively expensive but in the long term exceptional value.
Henry or Miele will suck a dyson up there snozzles and job is done while still trying to fix Dyson for the millionth time

When I went to buy my first Miele ever mnay years ago, after siscovering them. I asked the shop lady in Curry (or similar) as to if they're worth the premium (well I enquired after the brand).

She told me that her last one kept on going for 15 years. The only reason she bought another was cos the darn thing would never break but was now so old. That was about 18 years ago.

Since then I've owned my first Miele vacuum for about 13 years before killing it's motor. This was due to sucking up red brick and (probably) using the none branded filters. Well, it actually died twice and the first was 10 years in.

At that first motor failure, I just borrowed my mates Miele and sucked the debri clean from the motor and it kept on going for another 3 or 4 years (with more red brick dust every so often but in limited quantities 😉

I still suck up building work dust with my new (ebay bargain cos the chaps wife wanted a Dyson or the sort!) Miele. But it has it's original filter which I just keep washing out and is now bagless so I needn't buy cheap(er) accessories/bags.

The Miele washer is now about 14 years old and we had it serviced/fixed once when ten years in. Technician said we'd gunged it up by using non-bio and were using too much soap when washing. That was 5 years ago...

Many many companies ruined by Bean counters. Fords is one why resale values low and know a few back room boys they say Bean counters change there spec's to cheaper parts/shorter wiring then when built constant failures and recalls.
Unfortunately the bean counters are an integral part of the design process and keep their eyes on every aspect through initial marketing, concept, design and manufacturing. As an engineer it always caused friction because from a bean counter perspective the right way is not always the cost effective option and manufacturing was nearly always given the priority, the words used were design for manufacturing and do not worry about repair or maintenance. This is why we now have vehicles from all manufacturers where changing even a simple component can be expensive due to labour cost as it is a time consuming operation but it was very easy on the line. If you ever get the chance to see a vehicle assemby line you will find one of the first components fitted is the aircon / heater assembly onto the bulkhead and then everything else is wrapped round it so when it goes wrong it is a major headache, first in but last out !

There is a total opposite process to the bean counters and can be found in the nuclear industry where the design process is to deliver something, some day and at some cost that in most cases will fail to meet the initial objectives and often referred to as an open purse design process and is great for keeping people employed at the taxpayers expense.

There are so many examples where parts are made for fast production techniques that are just replace and not repair. The assembly technique I really dislike is where the casings click together on something like a module or handheld device and if you get inside you find it fully encapsulated and this just highlights a throw away component where at one time you could work down to component level. One reason I blame for this throwaway culture is technology itself, we are pushed to get the latest and apparently greatest at the expense of throwing away a perfectly working item. An example I used to see was with camera's, not sure if it still applies because now a lot of people are happy with the little camera in a phone and a decent DSLR and lenses is not cheap. You could have a really decent camera that takes great images and then a new model is launched so the value of your camera goes down like a lead ballon and is now out of date but in reality nothing has changed and it still takes the same great images. Providing you are ok with not having the latest then I found waiting till the launch of a new model and then buying the so called old model saved hundreds of pounds but we are pushed by marketing forces to get the latest.

There are so many examples where parts are made for fast production techniques that are just replace and not repair. The assembly technique I really dislike is where the casings click together on something like a module or handheld device and if you get inside you find it fully encapsulated and this just highlights a throw away component where at one time you could work down to component level. One reason I blame for this throwaway culture is technology itself, we are pushed to get the latest and apparently greatest at the expense of throwing away a perfectly working item. An example I used to see was with camera's, not sure if it still applies because now a lot of people are happy with the little camera in a phone and a decent DSLR and lenses is not cheap. You could have a really decent camera that takes great images and then a new model is launched so the value of your camera goes down like a lead ballon and is now out of date but in reality nothing has changed and it still takes the same great images. Providing you are ok with not having the latest then I found waiting till the launch of a new model and then buying the so called old model saved hundreds of pounds but we are pushed by marketing forces to get the latest.
With Cameras much is about the lens mounting. Sony, Panasonic,Kodak, etc have been using Canon and Nikon mountings so can always swap around mind one of them changed from Canon to Nikon.
So if have Nikon say you can use Nikon lenses with the other bodies or other way round mind think both are changed/changing mounts with like say EOS1 and EOS2 "more leccy controls?"
I'm still on Canon FD. mind still kicking my rear end for not buying Hasselblad years back when had chances and Mamiya C330 etc when did a lot of Photography.

Unfortunately the bean counters are an integral part of the design process and keep their eyes on every aspect through initial marketing, concept, design and manufacturing. As an engineer it always caused friction because from a bean counter perspective the right way is not always the cost effective option and manufacturing was nearly always given the priority, the words used were design for manufacturing and do not worry about repair or maintenance. This is why we now have vehicles from all manufacturers where changing even a simple component can be expensive due to labour cost as it is a time consuming operation but it was very easy on the line. If you ever get the chance to see a vehicle assemby line you will find one of the first components fitted is the aircon / heater assembly onto the bulkhead and then everything else is wrapped round it so when it goes wrong it is a major headache, first in but last out !
Designer i knew said on likes of Mondeo? they spec'd a high tensile bolt and washer over the pressure/stress on A part then once Bean counters had sniffed over it changed bolt etc to monkey metal one which in use failed/caused issues so recalled.
Did it on trucks where loom needed to be say 5metres they changed to 4.5 so loom cut across corner of chassis like under cabs left hanging in fresh air so failed/caught fire.
One of the amusing ones are washer bottle is right up front behind panel below wipers screw cap is made of tin while so much else is plastic! Screen wash/water/Changing weather ie condensation and salt spray = Cap rusting away dam quick =plating failure/VOSA GV10 etc which goes against Operators licence/CPC.
As often they would rust round back or edge then fail suddenly.

The Nikon Fmount has been around for years, came out in sixties but you cannot just fit a Nikon lens on a Cannon or vica versa although there have been third party adaptors, I always stayed with Nikon gear and mostly Nikon lenses although Tokina lenses were good.

I'm still on Canon FD
So old school and like to be the master in full control using manual focus which is the best way to learn photography rather than those buying expensive digital DSLR's and using them as point and shoot !! Now they are moving to these new mirrorless cameras which is like only having live view on a Nikon or a video camera that can only take stills, very easy for technology to leave you in it's wake.

The Nikon Fmount has been around for years, came out in sixties but you cannot just fit a Nikon lens on a Cannon or vica versa although there have been third party adaptors, I always stayed with Nikon gear and mostly Nikon lenses although Tokina lenses were good.

So old school and like to be the master in full control using manual focus which is the best way to learn photography rather than those buying expensive digital DSLR's and using them as point and shoot !! Now they are moving to these new mirrorless cameras which is like only having live view on a Nikon or a video camera that can only take stills, very easy for technology to leave you in it's wake.
Canon T90 mind did have a Ricoh KR10 brilliant camera Like a Nikon FE2.
I do have some Tamron lenses can use on most types if have mount ive FD and Pentax ones as Ricoh used PK.
Have loads of camera bits some will sell like Benbow tripod

In the 1970's, I was stationed in Okinawa when I started on my Nikon journey. I had a pair of F2 bodies and about 70 pounds of glass. Decades later, when I transitioned to digital, the F-mount lenses still worked great with the D700 and D3s. Eventually, I replaced all but one of the lenses with modern versions.

Now, all my Nikon gear is gone to fund my woodworking hobby. I have a Sony A7II and a couple of prime lenses, but rarely take them out.

I have a habit with tools of trading up when I find a better one.
I find it very satisfying though when I finally land on something that does everything I need from it, and well. The urge to upgrade simply vanishes.
My Nikon kit falls into this little group. It's several years old and some of it has been superceded even 2 or 3 times over but it fits me and is ample good enough. I haven't looked at a camera review website for years :)

I have a habit with tools of trading up when I find a better one.
I find it very satisfying though when I finally land on something that does everything I need from it, and well. The urge to upgrade simply vanishes.
My Nikon kit falls into this little group. It's several years old and some of it has been superceded even 2 or 3 times over but it fits me and is ample good enough. I haven't looked at a camera review website for years :)
Ive a Canon 300mm L F4 when i got it used for a little more could have had the standard FD/Non L lens The L lens even with a 2x converter is still crystal clear.

You can understand the earlier digital cameras had a smaller than full frame 35mm sensor due to technology limits but I have never understood why they only increased this to the full frame 35mm format and not gone beyond, do people believe it is because they do not want to have to produce a whole new range of lenses or is it the size of the hole in the F mount ?

You can understand the earlier digital cameras had a smaller than full frame 35mm sensor due to technology limits but I have never understood why they only increased this to the full frame 35mm format and not gone beyond, do people believe it is because they do not want to have to produce a whole new range of lenses or is it the size of the hole in the F mount ?
You can buy a medium format digital camera if your need or want a sensor that has over 100MP. Hasselblad, Leica, Pentax, Phase One, and Fuji offer cameras with larger sensors that compare to the 2-1/4 inch film formats, but the cost of the bodies are punishing.

Back