How to become an International Arms Dealer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrspach

Established Member
Reaction score
Was thinking long time where to put this and if admins feel that it is wrong place I appologise and please deal with it as you like.
Thinking behind it was:
This is the forum of woodworking hand tools, a lot of members sent their woodworking tools to each other and therefore it could be a good warning for them.
Now to the point
Wanted to send 2 woodworking axes (Elvell and no name) to my friend in Czech Republic as Christmas present. So far so good.
Looked for quotes and choose to use a comparison site as it appeared they were using all the major courier companies. Ordered, described that the package contains 2 axes, added code for woodworking tools, and paid. The company suppose to pick up today. Someone had to be at home between 9:00 -18:00. My wife agreed to do that. So far still so good. My friend abroad was notified to expect the parcel.
Today at midday a missed call message was received that the company will not pick up the item as they are considered to be wheapons and that they will return the payment.
I have called back the company and asked for explanation. Company explained that they do not have a licence to transport wheapons and argument about woodworking tools and their parcel content coding was falling on deaf ears.

What I have learned:
That in some eyes I am sending serious wheapons abroad.
If I want my parcel to be delivered then better to save my money add them to the flight ticket with added lugage as they are not excluded to fly with you just can not have them in you on board luggage. Yes it will cost more but there will be additional bonus that I can see my friends.

What I wanted to say gents please if you want ot send any of such items take care and good luck.

but imagine if you was a terrorist, they've done the right thing frankly, and also I'm not sure they'd let you on that plane with an axe in your hand luggage either, just try it and see, that could be fun.

Hmmm, ISIS using a pair of axes, I think they could probably do better [or worse].
There must be other methods, but any excuse to travel is a good excuse.

Yes I have flown few times now with different tools including axe. Of course it was not in my hand luggage but in holdal.
The other method suggested by this company is to use company licensed to transport wheapons.
Could be interesting how many people were killed or injured in violent incident using axe and for example pen.

I can see both sides of the argument, but would have to say it's a stupid indicator of the world we live in. Ban hand guns, legislate against knifes, but people still find ways to cause harm to each other with something.
Yes, I've drawn blood countless times with my knife, but always my own.

I've sent many axe heads by Royal Mail, they are not on their banned list, and providing the parcel weighs less than 2 kilos the price is competitive. The problem with RM is that complete axes can easily exceed their parcel length limits.

swb58":3mx5iavr said:
I can see both sides of the argument, but would have to say it's a stupid indicator of the world we live in. Ban hand guns, legislate against knifes, but people still find ways to cause harm to each other with something.
Yes, I've drawn blood countless times with my knife, but always my own.

Sometimes it seems OTT but as a regular flyer I'd rather they be extra vigilant than not.

I had an "interesting" expeerience a few years ago through cusoms in Sydney. I'd made 3 pens from spent 308 cases as presents for family and carried them rather than put them in the suitcases as I knew those cases would then be opened and they aren't very careful with the contents when they do that. Went through in Newcastle and Singapore no probs but when I showed them but in Sydney I got a 3rd degree workover and had to pull the pens apart which were then examined very carefully.
they were polite and nice enough so didn't bother me but I did get strange looks from other travellers. :lol:

It's always amusing to see the intro to The Woodwright's Shop.
A guy toting an axe on a pedestrian crossing in rush hour...
Yeah, it's an old show. :)

Lons":21644dsb said:
...Sometimes it seems OTT but as a regular flyer I'd rather they be extra vigilant than not...
Yebbit, the OP wanted to ship these axes, not bring them on board. The only way they'd be a threat is if a terrorist stowed away in the hold, managed to find exactly the right parcel, and then smashed his/her way through the floor of the aeroplane - what are the chances of that?

The other possible threat is if they thought the recipient was going to use them for terrorist activities - the more plausible reason. But even then, what are the chances that the recipient couldn't find two similar "weapons" (axes, slashers, pitch forks, etc.) in the Czech Republic anyway, if they were that hell-bent on causing mayhem.

There's nothing wrong with being cautious. It's being mindless about it that's the problem.

I suppose I won't be able to order a Clifton shoulder plane now - in case I stab someone in the street with its cutter :roll:

Cheers, Vann.

p.s. I wonder how many munitions manufacturers can't export - in case their products hurt someone... #-o

Vann":2abck634 said:
Lons":2abck634 said:
...Sometimes it seems OTT but as a regular flyer I'd rather they be extra vigilant than not...
Yebbit, the OP wanted to ship these axes, not bring them on board.

That fact wasn't lost on me Vann and in his case it's pretty stupid not to transport them as they certainly pose no threat. I was responding really to the thread in general which had expanded a little.

I bought a few tins of air rifle pellets when last in the USA and put them in my main suitcase in the Walmart bag and original receipt. My case was opened, the contents left a mess and I was pulled over at Heathrow. An air rifle pellet is exactly that, no more FFS so while I want due vigilance it's down to over zealous individuals who sometimes lack commonsense.

Nice part of the world you live in btw. Been to NZ a couple of times and love the country and people
Bob

Just to clarify i have approached Royal Mail first but the cost of £90 was rather prohibitive as well as once they hand it over to their other contracted couriers their parcels tend to dissapear. That is a reason why friends of mine when they buy something use me as delivery address and I bring it to them when I travel there or they visit me.

if they are not on the prohibited list with the courier, can you not legitimately describe them as woodworking tools?

They were described as axes and you have to add a code from their own list where they are in woodworking tools.

Back