Ukrainian Carving Axe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobNichols

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've been looking to get a small carving axe for a while. So when I saw an article in the Grauniad about a Ukrainian tool maker who was continuing to work in spite of the war, I thought I could support him and get myself the axe I'd wanted. So I went onto the website and ordered a Small-sized Carving Axe. The axe was made in about two weeks and it took another 2-3 weeks to get to me (with a delay in customs), so about a month from order placed to receiving the axe.

IMG_20231007_123354708.jpg
IMG_20231007_123457999.jpg

I'm really pleased with the axe. It fits into hand beautifully and the balance is just lovely.

IMG_20231007_123401920.jpg

The edge looks good - though I've only used it on one smallish job so far - so not long enough to judge how the edge will last. It certainly cuts well as manufactured.

The axe is symmetrical and a perfect weight for small carving work IMO.

IMG_20231007_123414086.jpg
IMG_20231007_123409570.jpg

I am very pleased with my purchase and can highly recommend these axes. More items are available on the Fadir Tools site.

Last edited:
Lots of traditional toolmaking still in Ukraine Estonia and Finland. Beavercraft are now quite strongly present in UK. One supplier near me did get samples from another Ukrainian maker recently but declined to proceed further at present.

I thought the most intriguing tool on the site has to be the Stock Knife. I've only seen old examples of those. This is the only new version that I'm aware of. If I had a good supply of green wood, that would be at the top of my list.

My father made one from an old square head molding knife (about 4" long), some metal he had and wood. He used it to rough shape wood bowls before turning them on the lathe and called it a block knife. He would have loved to have had that tool.

IMG_6262.jpg

Pete

I thought the most intriguing tool on the site has to be the Stock Knife. I've only seen old examples of those. This is the only new version that I'm aware of. If I had a good supply of green wood, that would be at the top of my list.
Josh Burrell has made them before, lovely things.
Recent focus has been coopering tools

https://www.joshuaburrell.co.uk/

Latest posts

Back