Facebook marketplace purchases and importing into EU

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tibi

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I have just found out that I can change my location to London (or anywhere else in the UK) and I will get search results on Facebook marketplace from the UK. Woodworking items seem to be a lot cheaper on Facebook than on eBay . There are even free items.

Do you have positive experience with buying on Facebook marketplace?

When I used to buy on eBay, there was Global Shipping Programme, that covered all the customs fees, VAT, etc. Can someone explain to me how does it work if I want to buy directly from UK (e.g. from a private person) and import into EU? Does the seller or me has to prepare any customs documentation or figure out HS codes, or is this being handled by the delivery company, who will tell the seller the total prices with customs and VAT?

I do not want to send money and then wait a month just to find out that the parcel was returned in the customs office, because I did something wrong (I had this experience on eBay, when I did not buy through GSP).

Thank you very much

What is it you are looking to buy?
Actually, I do not need anything urgently, but I have seen that I can buy Stanley no.7 for 60 - 100 pounds, on eBay, they are 120+ pounds. Or maybe an interesting lot of items if I find one to save on transport. I would like to buy a vintage dovetail plane, but I do not seem to find any (And new Ulmia or ECE planes are rather expensive)

I have loads of spare English tools that I am thinking of selling, let me know what you want and I might be able to sort you out from Denmark.

I don't have a dovetail plane though, can't you make one from one of those Russian planes you have ?

Hello,

I have just found out that I can change my location to London (or anywhere else in the UK) and I will get search results on Facebook marketplace from the UK. Woodworking items seem to be a lot cheaper on Facebook than on eBay . There are even free items.

Do you have positive experience with buying on Facebook marketplace?

When I used to buy on eBay, there was Global Shipping Programme, that covered all the customs fees, VAT, etc. Can someone explain to me how does it work if I want to buy directly from UK (e.g. from a private person) and import into EU? Does the seller or me has to prepare any customs documentation or figure out HS codes, or is this being handled by the delivery company, who will tell the seller the total prices with customs and VAT?

I do not want to send money and then wait a month just to find out that the parcel was returned in the customs office, because I did something wrong (I had this experience on eBay, when I did not buy through GSP).

Thank you very much

I've never purchased anything from FB market place by mail. Rightly or wrongly, ive always considered it pick up only. I turn up with cash and go home with the goods. And vice versa if I'm selling.

In the (I suspect) somewhat unlikely event that you convince someone to ship the item to you, they will be forced by the post office to fill in a CN22 (i think) customs form, and you will get charged VAT on arrival, along with an approximately GBP 15-20 clearance fee.

Sadly many in the uk do not understand how the clearance fee has decimated business to consumer trade between the uk and eu customers. I guess, however, its just a cost we have to suffer for all the many benefits of brexit.

I have loads of spare English tools that I am thinking of selling, let me know what you want and I might be able to sort you out from Denmark.

I don't have a dovetail plane though, can't you make one from one of those Russian planes you have ?
Hi Adam, I sent you a PM.

I've never purchased anything from FB market place by mail. Rightly or wrongly, ive always considered it pick up only. I turn up with cash and go home with the goods. And vice versa if I'm selling.

In the (I suspect) somewhat unlikely event that you convince someone to ship the item to you, they will be forced by the post office to fill in a CN22 (i think) customs form, and you will get charged VAT on arrival, along with an approximately GBP 15-20 clearance fee.

Sadly many in the uk do not understand how the clearance fee has decimated business to consumer trade between the uk and eu customers. I guess, however, its just a cost we have to suffer for all the many benefits of brexit.
Thanks for making it clear. I will not bother people with filling documentation as it would be an overkill for most and they can sell to local people with more convenience. So I will stay with my lovely overpriced ebay :)

The CN22 is a tickbox, a date, and a signature. It's not exactly a hardship.
The post office will just hand it to the sender and tell them what to do.

The greater issue for you is the taxes and processing fees that will be requested upon delivery.

The CN22 is a tickbox, a date, and a signature. It's not exactly a hardship.
The post office will just hand it to the sender and tell them what to do.

The greater issue for you is the taxes and processing fees that will be requested upon delivery.
Yes, I am intending to buy things that are of smaller value (maybe up to 150 pounds) - many of them might be 20-50 pounds. The fees would make the price at least double. So it is not worth.

I’m still buying things from the UK, woodworking tools and consumables seem to be much cheaper still than here in France or any EU country that doesn’t hammer on the delivery cost…especially the saw blades I received this week!
Any charges on arrival will depend on your local rates and enforcement, there is no EU wide rate. I think I’ve only had a charge once, which was for a small box of driver bits valued at 40 euro. I objected to TNT who sent me a bill for 50 euro duty and clearing costs. The wrote back apologising saying it was a mistake. If you are buying from a professional outfit, I’ve yet to come accross one which does not handle it all at the UK end.
I also have a friend in the UK who has sent me things, he does the paperwork there and sticks it to packets. By default he marks everything value under 150 euro and second hand. He says it’s not any work or fuss at all. The French customs have ignored everything to date.
One thing, if something is sent from outside EU but shows (as it should be labled) it was 100% made in the EU (even UK while it was still in EU), then there are not supposed to be any charges of any type with no limit to any receiving EU country.
On FB - it’s the only marketplace I’ve been a victim of fraud on and there is no protection. Never again!

The 150euro thing will be duty limit, not vat. As will country of origin.

I suspect that in principle buyers and sellers by filling in the right forms and paying the right fees can easily do business between the UK and EU.

Personally I would not go down that route unless (a) the seller was clearly proficient in all the admin needed, and (b) the saving justified the effort needed and risks involved.

Buying stuff on FB marketplace using a bogus location is (IMHO) asking for trouble. But we are all at liberty to think differently.

I suspect that in principle buyers and sellers by filling in the right forms and paying the right fees can easily do business between the UK and EU.

Personally I would not go down that route unless (a) the seller was clearly proficient in all the admin needed, and (b) the saving justified the effort needed and risks involved.

Buying stuff on FB marketplace using a bogus location is (IMHO) asking for trouble. But we are all at liberty to think differently.
I have already dismissed the idea of buying on FB marketplace as people here convinced me that is more trouble than worth.

There's your suspicions over principle, and there is the hard reality of the situation.

For our country, VAT limit is 22€ per item, i think.

Because the EU was half of my customer base, I'm aware of policy.

The 22euro limit that you mention will, I'm sure, be your gift limit. Post jan1st of this year, there is no lower limit on goods - all purchases are subject to vat.

I’ve bought a few things and had them posted from Marketplace. I used PayPal to have a guarantee in case they didn’t arrive. So far, everyone has been honest……in fact I’ve recently had two machines I bought on eBay go south on me!

I buy loads of things on facebook, and sell things on there too. Lots of woodworking tools.

Sometimes I buy from far away and ask people to post items. I generally pay by bank transfer (as I don't have paypal).

I make a reasoned judgement about the seller, listing and item, and then generally take the risk and send the money, trusting that the seller will send the item.

I must have done this >100 times over the past 6 years or so, and I have been scammed only once in that time.

I have definitely saved more money overall (Including a £200 loss from a scam), but I accept that I take a risk every time.

From a 'how to read a scam advert' point of view: Things like big brand power tools are more risky (the sort that people nick from tradesmens vans), but more niche stuff like machines or hand tools are generally lower risk. Used things are obviously much lower risk than new things. Sellers who only have a few contacts on their profiles, or have relatively new profiles (<3 years old) always raise suspicion as well. Also sellers who have lots of items for sale that seem too good to be true.

There are some amazing bargains to be had on there (in recent times I bought a DF500 like new for £400, a TS55 for £120, a RO125 for £160), but ovbiously just be aware of the risks. Like some people have said, paying via Paypal is supposedly a lot safer for the buyer too.

Back