Felder Service UK - Dreadful

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrabberOne

Reaction score
On 5th July 2023 I enquired about a part for a Felder supplied accessory, an Aigner pressure module. The part I am after is the part that clamps onto the sliding table of my Felder CF731 (2005). I want to change this older f-clamp to the later, updated p-clamp to make it compatible with my later machine. I was initially told by Felder that this part was not available and that I would therefore have to buy a new Aigner pressure module (>£400). However, with the help of a US forum, I saw that Felder USA happily supplied this part and I obtained the part no.
Felder Service UK, when supplied the part no., stated that they could now supply it at a cost of £35 + £15 postage + VAT.
I paid and when I asked about lead time and I was told "end of July."
At the end of July I chased the part up to be told a "further 3-4 weeks."
At the end of August, I again chased the part up to be told "end of next week."
Yesterday I received an email from Felder Service UK to say the part was due to be delivered.
Well, a parcel arrived but instead of part as indicated on photo 1 (courtesy of Chris Perren of Felders Owners Group USA), I received the item as in photo 2 (Aigner Bowmould Screen). The part number for this does not match the part no. on the enclosed package advice.
How do UK businesses survive using Felder equipment when their service department is so dreadful.
How does Felder UK survive when supported by this level of service?
So two months on and still no (correct) part.

Has anybody been impressed with Felder Service UK or like me are you considering selling your Felder kit?

Attachments

• Felder Part.jpg
    Felder Part.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1303.jpg
    IMG_1303.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
On 5th July 2023 I enquired about a part for a Felder supplied accessory, an Aigner pressure module. The part I am after is the part that clamps onto the sliding table of my Felder CF731 (2005). I want to change this older f-clamp to the later, updated p-clamp to make it compatible with my later machine. I was initially told by Felder that this part was not available and that I would therefore have to buy a new Aigner pressure module (>£400). However, with the help of a US forum, I saw that Felder USA happily supplied this part and I obtained the part no.
Felder Service UK, when supplied the part no., stated that they could now supply it at a cost of £35 + £15 postage + VAT.
Yesterday I received an email from Felder Service UK to say the part was due to be delivered.
Well, a parcel arrived but instead of part as indicated on photo 1 (courtesy of Chris Perren of Felders Owners Group USA), I received the item as in photo 2 (Aigner Bowmould Screen). The part number for this does not match the part no. on the enclosed package advice.
How do UK businesses survive using Felder equipment when their service department is so dreadful.

Has anybody been impressed with Felder Service UK or like me are you considering selling your Felder kit?
As an update.
I have spoken with Felder KG in Austria and expressed my concerns about Felder UK. They are unable to supply me with parts directly and insist I go through Felder UK.
After a number of postings and telephone calls, I was emailed by Matthew Applegarth, the CEO of Felder UK, who has accepted that there has been an issue in my case and he says that he is endeavouring to resolve it.
From my perspective, this issue has seriously dented my faith, confidence and pride in Felder and I doubt I will ever buy another Felder machine. But we shall see.

On a loosely related point.
Why don't Felder have exploded diagrams of their machines on their website with part numbers affixed? Click on the part, or part number, and an enlarged view of the part appears to confirm your choice. Currently you cannot identify a Felder part on their website by inputting their part number. Their website is so awful that you have no choice but to contact Felder Service and then they can't find parts they sell on their own system!

Enough.

I have today received the correct part which, like the incorrect part, was shipped directly from Felder in Austria. It appears that the parts mixup element of my woes occurred in Austria rather than at Felder UK. A thank you to Matthew Applegarth at Felder UK for rectifying the mixup promptly.

I was also treated badly by the MD at Felder some years ago, I owned a N4400 bandsaw that a part failed on, The part was the cast iron mount for the fence that slides along the rail, When in position you just nip up the Bristol leaver to hold it in position. I did this , Tightend up the Bristol leaver and the casting broke into 2 pieces, When I looked at the casting it showed slag / crystals in the casting , I made contact with Felder and they asked me to send it back , I did , Waited 2 weeks for a reply as the boss was away , Later I was told I need to buy a new one at over £100 , I asked why and was told I should be greatful these parts are still available for a hobby saw that is over 10 years old , You what a 3hp 16 amp machine hobby ?, Never going to buy from them again.

A capacitor on my Hammer planer went pop, I rang them up for a replacement. The Engineer was at least honest and told me they didn't stock them and it would be sent from Austria. He advised me to get one from a local supplier which I did.
Also rang up for a full set of carbide inserts, also come from Austria, the price was crazy so I bought a set from AMS for less than half the price Felder wanted.
Not doing themselves any favours by not having spares here.

Ollie

I've also had service problems with Felder.

Their engineers no longer carry any spares on their vans (and indeed precious few spares at their UK warehouse). They've decided they can save themselves money by consolidating to one European warehouse in Austria. However, this strategy virtually guarantees delays and frustrations for their customers. They must know that, but it seems they've decided that a few extra quid in their pockets is worth more than a lot of disgruntled users struggling with innoperable machines.

Seems pretty short sighted to me, but there you go.

It's the way all things are going since the introduction of the Japanese JIT system, the time element is now extended, but Amazon do seem to be immune. 😇

It's the way all things are going since the introduction of the Japanese JIT system, the time element is now extended,
Yeah I’ve come across this with several international companies, spares only held in one country no doubt some accountants decision.
I knew felder used this system the last spares I ordered were on a Monday & were delivered Friday the same week which while inconvenient nothing in comparison to 18 weeks for spares for an industrial machine from Axminster

A capacitor on my Hammer planer went pop, I rang them up for a replacement. The Engineer was at least honest and told me they didn't stock them and it would be sent from Austria. He advised me to get one from a local supplier which I did.
Also rang up for a full set of carbide inserts, also come from Austria, the price was crazy so I bought a set from AMS for less than half the price Felder wanted.
Not doing themselves any favours by not having spares here.

Ollie
I can see some justification on their part for items like the capacitor and inserts, belts, bearings etc. I should think few people would pay their crazy prices when these items are readily available elsewhere. But for parts that are unique to the machine and really have to come from them it's pretty poor.

I can see some justification on their part for items like the capacitor and inserts, belts, bearings etc. I should think few people would pay their crazy prices when these items are readily available elsewhere. But for parts that are unique to the machine and really have to come from them it's pretty poor.
I can sort of see it regarding the capacitors, maybe. I still had to ring around a bunch of places to find a cap with the right spec.
But it seems a little crazy not to stock a bunch of the carbide inserts that fit in about 10 different machines they sell. If their price was within say 20% of what I paid then I would probably have just bought them from Felder without investigating options but the price (and delivery time) was obviously a bit excessive straight away.
I like my machine and still think it was a good buy considering the options in the market but I can`t say I have been impressed with parts support.

I will also say they are not unique in this regard, I remember getting annoyed with Machine mart for not stocking the parts for the stuff they sell as well and being forced to order them from head office (consumable parts as well).

Olie

I'm just in the process of ordering a bandsaw from Felder UK in Milton Keynes and asked for a quotation including delivery to my address which is about 40 miles away from Milton Keynes, having received the quotation I asked if there was any movement on price, reply was the quotation was the best they could offer, but was informed the price could be adjusted if I collected the bandsaw rather than have it delivered, I had to pick myself up off the floor when they told me what I would save if I collected machine, Delivery charge for a Felder FB510 Bandsaw from MK was a staggering £575.00 plus Vat £690.00
How can they justify that cost?, That's 25% of what the actual bandsaw costs.

Have a look at Axminster or Laguna they both do decent saws and are a lot more reasonable on delivery prices , I think Axminster offer free delivery. Also have a word with Nick at Laguna he has a lot of experance as he previously worked with Jet.

I'm just in the process of ordering a bandsaw from Felder UK in Milton Keynes and asked for a quotation including delivery to my address which is about 40 miles away from Milton Keynes, having received the quotation I asked if there was any movement on price, reply was the quotation was the best they could offer, but was informed the price could be adjusted if I collected the bandsaw rather than have it delivered, I had to pick myself up off the floor when they told me what I would save if I collected machine, Delivery charge for a Felder FB510 Bandsaw from MK was a staggering £575.00 plus Vat £690.00
How can they justify that cost?, That's 25% of what the actual bandsaw costs.
Yea, but the better Felder bandsaws come from Novellara, wot's likely in a not so tight container..
so it's probably about right? :D

Well at least I think that's the case, should Felder still be re-badging the ACM saws for their premium line,
or if it's just the 700 or 740 series and up nowadays?
(I read that on the FOG, so it could be just the Yankee market.)

Their delivery price has always seemed expensive, I’ve always fetched the machines I’ve had off them so don’t know if it’s in house delivery or if they sub it out.
Certainly for their lower weight machines it isn’t worth the cost even if you have to hire a van & they are happy to pallet truck it into your vehicle so at least collection is quick & easy.
I suppose on the plus side they aren’t building delivery costs into the price of the machine like other manufacturers do so for folks like me it can be a considerable saving

Hi Crabber,

If you contact Damian Smith at Safety Training Woodworking Ltd he has access for most of the Aigner sourced parts that Felder sells.

I ran STW from 1997 until Damian took it over five years back, we had an excellent working relationship with Georg Aigner through Frau Spanner, the company changed hands on the death of Herr Aigner around three years ago. The only problem we had was when we sold and undercut the main American Distributor Herr Aigner was most displeased following complaints from this distributor.
John Gubb

Back