Favourite quotes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
“Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.”
Bruce Lee

A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they know they shall never sit.
Greek proverb.

And while we're on the subject, my favourite wordsmith Ambrose Bierce, “Bigamy, n. A mistake in taste for which the wisdom of the future will adjudge a punishment called trigamy.”

I wish I was a glow worm
A glow worm's never glum
How can you be unhappy
When the sun shines out your bum.

Lots of people claim originality for this, but I have known this ditty since my childhood, now 75, it's not modern.

Not a Quote as such, but still one from the great Spike.

I must go down to the sea again
The lonely sea and sky
I left me shoes and socks there
I wonder if they're dry.

And yet another....

"Cast adrift
In a open boat
With only the sea
To keep us

Afloat."

"If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?" Albert Einstein
This is a true stóry.
When I came ashore I worked in the offices of a shipping company. The general manager was in the habit of occasionally sweeping through the office and giving everyone and everything a bit of a rev up.
My job was of a technical nature so my desk was usually covered in ships general arrangement plans, stability books and so on. 'Look at your desk!' He bellowed. 'What a damned shambles. Don't you know the state of your desk indicates the state of your mind? If you look at my desk you will see there's nothing on it..'
There followed a few moments of stunned silence before he turned on his heels and scuttled back to his own office pursued by gales of laughter from the general office staff.
All these years later I still get a giggle out of it now and then.

Another from Spike Milligan

My Mum says licorice gives you a good run for your money.

I used to quote it to my children who thought I was talking about their grandmother.

" I have observed that in married households the champagne is rarely of a first rate brand " Oscar Wilde's comment on marriage. One could fill a page with epigrams from the same man.

Last edited:
Back