A London Thread?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stanleymonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon

Not trying to upset anyone or start any arguments!

Just wondering if there's a purpose in a thread/sticky thread (does that still exist) or section for London based members?

Nothing special about us - just that it seems that the high prices round here mean there are virtually no places that I know of for woodworking stuff other than big shed stores. There's D&M tools in Richmond and a little second hand shop in Wallington. Those are the only two places I visit - and a wood recycling place in Croydon that I keep meaning to check out.

I just think there's so little in and around London these days, that it would be good to share the local knowledge that we have?

What do people think?

Does it matter where you actually live as all the outlets are online anyway. Do people in London actually use woodworking tools or make anything as you have plenty of good shops to buy anything, there is Peter Millard for bespoke stuff and I dare say quiet a few Ikea's. That new barrier around London to keep pollution out will also not help matters, eventually that sick karn may also include dust which would include saw dust !

Another forum I belong to has a members map for those that want to put their name and location in. Then you can search all the members within a given radius from your location. If this forum has the same then Stanleymonkey can get ahold of the locals to ask or hang with.

Pete

Well SM you tried - as another hobby you could politely kick wasp nests.

On a more productive note. I used to work for a company where we had to travel all round the country, we started an excel sheet of places to stay, if you found a good B & B (there are some real gems) it went in as did the bad then anyone going out of their normal patch could search by Post code, we had a simple code of conduct, nothing derogatory just a rating system and in our case price per night.

If any moderators are out there could we do something similar here?

Depends where you live in London doesn’t it?

If for example you live in Twickenham but are looking at Croydon for buying opportunities, you might as well include the rest of Surrey as well. And a bit of West Sussex. It can take 3+ hours to traverse London.

@Stanleymonkey, is there anything particular you’re looking for?

Last edited:
Afternoon

Not trying to upset anyone or start any arguments!

Just wondering if there's a purpose in a thread/sticky thread (does that still exist) or section for London based members?

Nothing special about us - just that it seems that the high prices round here mean there are virtually no places that I know of for woodworking stuff other than big shed stores. There's D&M tools in Richmond and a little second hand shop in Wallington. Those are the only two places I visit - and a wood recycling place in Croydon that I keep meaning to check out.

I just think there's so little in and around London these days, that it would be good to share the local knowledge that we have?

What do people think?
U.K. too big for you? As for too little in and around London, well ask anyone who doesn’t live in London their opinion on that.

Well SM you tried - as another hobby you could politely kick wasp nests.

On a more productive note. I used to work for a company where we had to travel all round the country, we started an excel sheet of places to stay, if you found a good B & B (there are some real gems) it went in as did the bad then anyone going out of their normal patch could search by Post code, we had a simple code of conduct, nothing derogatory just a rating system and in our case price per night.

If any moderators are out there could we do something similar here?
Have you heard of Tripadvisor?

Within general workshop discussion you could have an 'Area Info ' and within area info - a thread on all county's in the UK , and within your own county you could have all sorts of local info, shops, outlets, manufacturers, going rates, deals, events etc etc

I think the OP is onto somthing here. id check in on my area daily.

Ignore the haters :ROFLMAO:

Have you heard of Tripadvisor?
Can't trust TripAdvisor, a lot of reviews on hotels on there are fake reviews by the owners or people they have paid to write them, you can spot it a mile off.

It also has been proven that properties have negative reviews removed from TA.

Stick to google, harder for properties to remove and usually has more candid and accurate reviews.

Can't trust TripAdvisor, a lot of reviews on hotels on there are fake reviews by the owners or people they have paid to write them, you can spot it a mile off.

It also has been proven that properties have negative reviews removed from TA.

Stick to google, harder for properties to remove and usually has more candid and accurate reviews.
Yes there are many sources. That was my point, why would a woodworking forum need a list of places to stay.

Another forum I belong to has a members map for those that want to put their name and location in. Then you can search all the members within a given radius from your location. If this forum has the same then Stanleymonkey can get ahold of the locals to ask or hang with.

Pete
Might have a look into that - thank you

U.K. too big for you? As for too little in and around London, well ask anyone who doesn’t live in London their opinion on that.

I only meant too little for woodworking type stuff. The super high rents and prices mean that it's barely viable to run that sort of business these days near the capital. Axminster outlets and anything 'nice' is an hours drive away or more. I went to Fareham recently and there was nice tool store there - got a nice deal on some stuff I wanted. Would never just stumble across that sort of thing round here.

There are places that 'fly under the radar' a little because they are small operations and don't always come up readily on internet searches. This one: Home | The Tool Shop has an older website and it is flagged as not secure by some engines, but it is a gem. Restricted opening hours and not really any advertising. Easily driven past - even on a main road.

I'm just curious to see if there are other places tucked away in nearby boroughs.

Depends where you live in London doesn’t it?

If for example you live in Twickenham but are looking at Croydon for buying opportunities, you might as well include the rest of Surrey as well. And a bit of West Sussex. It can take 3+ hours to traverse London.

@Stanleymonkey, is there anything particular you’re looking for?

Fair point about heading out into Surrey / Kent etc.

Not after anything specific at the moment. Driving regularly past a couple of closed down hardware stores has made me think about it I suppose.

Fair point about heading out into Surrey / Kent etc.

Not after anything specific at the moment. Driving regularly past a couple of closed down hardware stores has made me think about it I suppose.
I’m not sure it’s any different anywhere in the UK. Perhaps there would be merit in a “small independent tool and hardware suppliers” thread along the same lines of the one already compiled for timber suppliers.

This is a good place to visit over in Shoreditch

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...usg=AOvVaw0eGV3bT4u2BixilphntmAd&opi=89978449

Lots of the tool shops in London do seem to have closed ditto the dedicated wood yards. I note that some of the big players are still around - Buck and Ryan, Tysack' etc. There used to be a good tool shop in Croydon - though for the life of me I can no longer recall the name :unsure:
There was also a great one in Tooting Broadway down a side street that might well still be there. As for the woodyards - the likes of Catford Timber ( an amazing little place ) sold up when the property values rose as did the one in Peckham ( another one whose name now escapes me)
I used to use Bollom's for spray finish stuff though they closed down their place in Beckenham. Myland's are still around though I'm not sure they still do anything much other than paint now.

Back