Machining modification of planer rollers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scholar

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2009
Messages
623
Reaction score
168
Location
Stratford-upon-Avon
I am hoping that someone may be able to help and/or advise on modifying some spindle ends of some planer feed rollers I have to replace my existing ones.

I have an Inca planer/thicknesser (Inca 190) that is a nice machine, but the feed function on mine has never been satisfactory since I have had it (bought used). I have been advised by the Swiss parts supplier that the infeed roller is worn - I tried ordering a replacement but, long story short, it never arrived. I have written about the problem ages ago, but have finally got round to doing something.

A new standard infeed roller may have been a big improvement, but the other weakness is that the outfeed roller is just smooth steel - I am used to Scheppach planers that have always had rubber-coated rollers and so ideally I decided I would like to replace the Inca steel outfeed roller with a rubber coated one [it may be that the best solution would be to replace both rollers with rubber-coated ones as per the Scheppach set-up, but that is not the issue here].

I learnt that there are various clones of the original Inca planer design and figured there was a good chance that one of them may have compatible spares that would be more available. The alternative model I settled on researching was the Metabo HC260 and I did what I could to examine parts diagrams of both machines before taking a punt on ordering replacement infeed and outfeed rollers. One advantage was that the Metabo outfeed roller is rubber-coated. I could see there were some detail differences, but gambled that the key bits would be compatible - after a couple of months waiting for Metabo deliveries (through the excellent MTMC), I now have the replacement rollers and they are just about compatible. Below I have tried to illustrate the modifications that I think will get the spindle ends so they will fit the Inca.

Here are the four rollers side by side:

IMG_5873.jpeg


As annotated, the bearing areas that fit into bushings (bronze, I guess) are all 12mm and the new rollers fit these fine.

In all but two areas, the new rollers will need to be taken down to match the existing - I have roughly marked these in red on the shiny new infeed roller.

On the end with a hole (for the drive sprocket pin) things are a little more complicated as shown in the picture below:



IMG_5874.jpeg


To match the existing, the new rollers will need to be machined down on the D.12mm area as marked - this may be straightforward, I hope; but also the D.10mm area will need to be expanded to 11.5mm - could this be done by sleeving with some ID 10mm x 0.75mm wall tubing? - and then a new hole drilled for the sprocket drive pin.

Finally, the new rollers are slightly shorter and may not have enough length to retain the Starlock washer that retains the sprocket - perhaps an alternative would be to thread a hole in the end to take a retaining bolt (there is a short hole in the end of the new roller perpendicular to the hole you can see.

A detail, possibly, is that the existing rollers have a recess between the shoulder and the bearing area - there is a brass/bronze washer that is fitted at this point, but I don't know if the machined recess is important.

I dont have any machining facilities (or capability) and wonder if anyone would be able to help (for fair reward, of course). A more knowledgeable engineer may well have different solutions - what I know about machining is what I have seen on YouTube 😳

Cheers
 
Last edited:
Too late now but did you look into having 6mm or 10mm machined off the original rollers and then have them urethane coated? Recoating here would be about $250Cad/£150. Talk to the people doing the coating as to how much thickness they need if you have to go that route.

Pete
 
Too late now but did you look into having 6mm or 10mm machined off the original rollers and then have them urethane coated? Recoating here would be about $250Cad/£150. Talk to the people doing the coating as to how much thickness they need if you have to go that route.

Pete
Thank you Pete

I think this suggestion came up when I originally posted the dilemma.

I was/am hoping what I am doing is a simpler route and also preserves the original in case it doesn’t work out!

The replacement rollers were about £30 each which was a lot less than the original part that never arrived from Switzerland, not even counting the shipping costs!
 
Well, after @flh801978 aka Ian kindly took on the machining modification work on these rollers, I finally got them fitted and they work a treat. In the end, I replaced both the original rollers with rubber coated ones - I also have a knurled infeed roller in reserve in case the rubber one doesn‘t last, but I don't see why not as both feed rollers on my Scheppach machines are rubber. coated.

The machine is working like it never has before!

Cheers
 
Back
Top