Breaking News: Post Office Scandal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In all honesty I could not see her being able to hold on to such a title, which was , after all conferred on her for her "good work" at the Post Office.
However, as I understand it, (and I could be misinformed here), she was the fourth of three previous heads of the post office who were in charge during the period concerned, So, by default, she was the one left holding the parcel, when the music stopped.

Last edited:
In all honesty I could not see her being able to hold on to such a title, which was was, after all conferred on her for her "good work" at the Post Office.
However, as I understand it, (and I could be misinformed here), she was the fourth of three previous heads of the post office who were in charge during the period concerned, So, by default, she was the one left holding the parcel, when the music stopped.
Regrettably a previous encumbant, Adam Crozier, is now head of ITV !! So he was never going to face questions by the Drama or associated Documentary. They cite the drama as being addressed from when Vennels took over which is when Alan Bates started his campaign.

Poor software is generally the product of incompetence - not a criminal offence. The action should ideally be rectification, ultimately be legal claim with compensation for losses suffered.

Unacceptable is the quality of governance by the PO in protecting both its staff and the organisation.
This could be a product of incompetence, but senior staff and politicians who are rewarded with high pay and honours and should take responsibility for that which happens on their watch.

Much of the evidence to allocate responsibility and take appropriate sanctions has probably been lost with the passing of time. This should not prevent the police and any enquiry doing all that it can to bring those responsible for the unacceptable to account.

What happened to the money that the sub-postmasters and -mistresses paid the Post Office for the "losses" the Fujitsu system said they had made? It amounts to several hundred thousand pounds, if not millions.

If, as has been said, those monies were declared as part of Post Office profits then the people responsible for that should be prosecuted for fraud or extortion or demanding money with menaces, or whatever.

I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:
Fujitsu produced a program that had faults which should have been sorted out before the system was launched, though we aren't to know if there was political pressure to get the thing up and running
Despite this sufficient time should have been allowed, out in the real world, for the inevitable bugs to come to light.
However it was the Post office who came to the conclusion that the Horizon program was infallible, and they in turn who chose to prosecute, based on this. One is left wondering , at what point the penny dropped, and at what point did they try and bury it rather than admit to such an almighty C&CK UP.

Regrettably a previous encumbant, Adam Crozier, is now head of ITV !! So he was never going to face questions by the Drama or associated Documentary. They cite the drama as being addressed from when Vennels took over which is when Alan Bates started his campaign.
Don't you think a thorough enquiry is in order?Otherwise we may observe all all of the blame landing with just one of the chain of CEOs and that may not be entirely reasonable.

Don't you think a thorough enquiry is in order?Otherwise we may observe all all of the blame landing with just one of the chain of CEOs and that may not be entirely reasonable.
Thorough inquiry there is no such thing I watched most of the Covid inquiry the statement to
Tell the truth
The whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help me God, went out the window before it even started. I just wish there was an answer to it all.
It’s not a new thing.

This sorry business is now all over the news but those of us who take Private Eye have been reading about this for years.
I've seen next to no credit given to my favorite news outlet.
I'm guessing the same sort of thing will happen if and when concerns hit the headlines over Freeport development up North.

Back