Stolen tools news article

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a petition out at the moment to stop tools being sold at boot fairs - if everyone here can get behind this it might help:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/659019/signatures/new

What a ridiculous notion? how does anyone know what is or is not stolen of any item at a boot sale, what next, ban ebay, preloved, gumtree, facebook marketplace and all other selling sites?

How about cars, lets ban the sale of them, oh and vans, caravans, motorbikes etc, its quite the daftest idea I have heard in a long while

And just to add, the sale of tobacco, cigarettes and alcohol is banned at boot sales but you see it being sold quite often

It's a daft idea. The thieves will just sell the stuff in the pub or wherever. The idea of tagging tools seems to be sensible.
Cheers
Andrew
Half the time the police know who is stealing them, even when they do catch them the court let them of with a slapped wrist ,must feel like a waist of time when your a copper they have cells with revolving doors. The criminals must laugh their socks of!
Pip

There is a petition out at the moment to stop tools being sold at boot fairs - if everyone here can get behind this it might help:
Why single out tools? Are tools the only stolen goods sold? No bicycles, cameras, video gear - all stuff that's been stolen from people I know? Why not ban boot sales altogether? Better ban eBay, Gumtree, Vinted etc while we're about it.

And, as @Phil Pascoe says, there's a lot of legitimate selling going on; seems wrong to tell me I can't go to my local boot and offload some no-longer-needed stuff because someone else is a crook.

Half the time the police know who is stealing them, even when they do catch them the court let them of with a slapped wrist ,must feel like a waist of time when your a copper they have cells with revolving doors. The criminals must laugh their socks of!
Pip
An acquaintance had 20 - 50 gallons of diesel stolen weekly. He gave up telling the police - despite photographic evidence and having the names and addresses of the scrotes they would do nothing.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/659019/signatures/new
That's a terrible idea. I've bought loads of antique tools from car boot sales. If people can't sell old tools, they'll end up in the bin. The stuff that gets nicked will get sold via other means so it won't make any difference to theft, just result in more waste.

The petition's specifically about power tools, but even brand new power tools get old eventually and it's much better that they get sold on to a new user than that they get scrapped or sent for recycling.

I wonder they'd take on somehing like this. We know exactly who does it and they are members of a protected minority who always claim to have no money, so there's little hope of getting anything back. One of those scrotes was done some while back for his forty first case of driving while disqualified. Nothing worries them. My three week old 750kg four wheeled trailer bought to replace a stolen one was stolen - seven or eight of them at 3am with a low loader. Police interest was zilch. If we took it into our hands to go around and beat the excrement out of them the police would be down on us like a shot.

Police, rightly or wrongly, seem more interested in dealing with motorists and others who won't beat the dung out of them rather than real criminals like these.
That is not to say that there arent some very brave officers like the ones who dealt with the swordsman two weeks ago.

However, as for TM Eye - there was a recent case of them mounting a private prosecution and getting the perp 12 months behind bars (released after 6, of course).

What difference will this make, tools will always be stolen if there are no deterents and the police are often not interested as it is insignificant when it comes to allocating resources. Boot fairs are probably not that huge for selling stolen powertools, fake goods are going to be more common. Would you sell stolen goods somewhere where you are in the spotlight and you do not know who is taking a look. If you earn a living from your tools then the first deterent is to brand them so as they are marked, it may devalue them but they will still earn you a living. Then chemical markers such as smartwater to provide another layer of protection. If they are cordless then another option is to remove all batteries and keep them safe elswhere, like with fire arms where firing pins and ammunition are kept in another safe box. A cordless powertool without a battery is not going to be a good seller.

Odd that most of the tools are without batteries.
Perhaps they keep batteries but dump the tools, good value items that are not traceable unless you have marked them.

If you sell the battery by mail order, the buyer supplies you with an address where there might be some stuff worth your time, or worth selling on to someone else who might want to visit after hours

Latest posts

Back