Not happy - Tin pot council officers who can issue fines.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used to be you could legally ride a moped on a car licence.

Anyone know if that's still the case?

You do not have to take CBT if you:
  • want to ride a moped (up to 50cc) and you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001
  • want to ride a motorcycle and have a full moped licence from passing a moped test since 1 December 1990
  • have a full motorcycle licence for one category and want to upgrade to another
  • live and ride on some offshore islands
  • want to ride a trial e-scooter

https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-cbt

Looks I've like tapped into a vein of disgruntled car owners disillusioned by the collective power issued by Governments to officials who have no idea how to run department with our money - I'm a self employed Landlord (for the moment, getting out due to the impending new regulations ! another gripe !); give me or people like me charge of a department and we'd make every penny count.

To digress slightly the news had coloured me into thinking e-scooters were a scourge on society - But no, I've changed my mind now I've had a go on one of the larger ones; Old Man rides e-scooter !, and yes yes they are illegal but so convenient, if you want to reduce car miles regulate/legalise them. Most of my journeys now are 7mile max, to squash/gym club, doctors or shops I could quite easy step on one and go, for max 7miles journey time must be similar, driven with care they're, safe ; - what I would regulate is - only people with licences should have them, we drivers seem to have a second sense of other road drivers. Or have a new test for 14yr olds. sorry I'm smitten with e-scooters now and no number plate; I'd go up every Doncaster Bus Gate!.

Last edited:
Apparently tin has never commanded as much respect as some other metals. As a reflection of this, its name has long been used in terms denoting the tawdry or petty. Tin-pot has been used for minor or insignificant things or people since the early 1800s.

Apparently tin has never commanded as much respect as some other metals. As a reflection of this, its name has long been used in terms denoting the tawdry or petty. Tin-pot has been used for minor or insignificant things or people since the early 1800s.
:ROFLMAO:
And of course, coincidentally, this is a "tin pot" thread by definition!

Looks I've like tapped into a vein of disgruntled car owners disillusioned by the collective power issued by Governments to officials who have no idea how to run department with our money - I'm a self employed Landlord (for the moment, getting out due to the impending new regulations ! another gripe !); give me or people like me charge of a department and we'd make every penny count.

To digress slightly the news had coloured me into thinking e-scooters were a scourge on society - But no, I've changed my mind now I've had a go on one of the larger ones; Old Man rides e-scooter !, and yes yes they are illegal but so convenient, if you want to reduce car miles regulate/legalise them. Most of my journeys now are 7mile max, to squash/gym club, doctors or shops I could quite easy step on one and go, for max 7miles journey time must be similar, driven with care they're, safe ; - what I would regulate is - only people with licences should have them, we drivers seem to have a second sense of other road drivers. Or have a new test for 14yr olds. sorry I'm smitten with e-scooters now and no number plate; I'd go up every Doncaster Bus Gate!.
Weirdly E-bikes are legal (up to 250w) and if you've ever riden one they require very little pedalling if you put it on the max assist. The one I tried felt like a large dog pulling you along. They can legally assist up to 15mph but you could pedal faster if you wanted.

Your information is out of date you cannot carry a pillion on L plates at any time and a learner motorcyclist carrying a passenger to supervise them is of no benefit
You're right Tom - Rule 85, Highway Code, very remiss of me to have not come up to speed.

Rules for motorcyclists - General guidance (83 to 88)

Took my motorbike test 63 years ago on a Lambretta scooter 3 weeks after I bought it in 1960. Met a girl at the Nottingham Lambretta Club, married in Feb 1962 - still married 62 years on. When we married, the scooters went and we bought a Triumph 'T21' 350CC twin - travelled through France and Switzerland. First son born in 1964, so the bike had to go to fund a car. Passed my driving test at 3rd attempt in '64 (I think I must have got marks for good attendance!).

Fast forward to retirement in 1994, when I received a phone call from a chap who said 'I'm ringing to fix a date for your motorbike re-training'. I said 'sorry - wrong number'. He said 'no it isn't - your two sons have been in touch with me and said that all through their growing up years you've never stopped banging on about motorbikes, so they want you to come on a re-training session, then either buy a bike, or stop banging on about them - they're not bothered either way'.

I did the CBT course (which I didn't need to, but was useful), then off all over the Yorkshire Dales for a day on a Triumph thunderbird. Bought a 4-yr old BMW R80RT, 800CC 'boxer' from a BMW dealer, which was like new. I kept until 2009 and had a wonderful time on it, but decided that at 70, I was too young to die, and too old to have an accident, so I sold it.

At 78, I got fed up with the media banging on about 'older drivers should be tested and taken off the road if need be' so to reassure myself and family members, I took an IAM 'Mature Driver Assessment'. Though I was judged competent, I decided to do the IAM Advance Drivers' Course and take the advanced test. The examiner was a serving Police examiner, and I was rather chuffed to pass.

Happy days.

I know I'm old 'cos my kids are getting old, but I still haven't decided what to be when I grow up. I think of myself as 'elderly' rather than 'old' which is the term I use to describe anyone who is older than me.

The last pic was a day's 1200CC Harley Davidson hire which my sons paid for as a 65th birthday treat. Picked it up from the dealer in Chester and had a great day, driving all around Snowdonia and North Wales. A nice thought - I'm blessed to have two splendid sons, a wonderful wife, and a long and fulfilling life.

Attachments

• On my scooter, 1960,  aged 20.jpg
    On my scooter, 1960, aged 20.jpg
    496 KB · Views: 0
  • David on motorbike 1963.jpg
    David on motorbike 1963.jpg
    695.6 KB · Views: 0
  • BMW R80RT and Me 1994.jpg
    BMW R80RT and Me 1994.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Harley Bike pics copy.jpg
    Harley Bike pics copy.jpg