Japanese Natural Finishers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_W

Established Member
Reaction score

I thought I'd post this here as a ruse - since this is the most frugal/practical forum that I've seen in general, eschewing unnecessary expensive trinkets and gimmicks.

I've gotten on to these again lately (I have a fascination with sharpening things....anything, all the way down to plastic kids' scissors, as well as with natural stones).

I have started going directly to japan to get a few stones, I'll sell the ones I don't want to keep and hopefully break even or perhaps a little better (as in, sell 8 for what I paid for all 10), grading these for use when I'm done (and being honest about it - unscrupulous dealers always claim every stone is good for razors, tools and knives) and undercutting stone sellers in the US who, in my opinion, are a little bit too proud of the service they provide. There is a little bit of risk in that, but it should be good for me, whoever buys these stones once I have gone through them all and decided which to keep, and bad only for the dealers who do things like sell a $265 stone on the japan market for $900 in the US.

The interesting thing about this whole spread is that one of the stones is $565, one is $32, and the rest are in between. In terms of fineness, they're all relatively similar unless you're sharpening a razor. It is possible for the frugal to get a large one of these for the same price as a decent synthetic finisher (and said large stone will last 10 times as long as a synthetic, and they don't require soaking or any of that goofiness - actually, they should never be soaked), but it requires the assistance of someone who doesn't see dollar signs when they look at other people.

(the reason that I like these is that western tools that are not complex alloys just love them, and so do razors and knives).

Hey David. What's the relative merit to finishing on one of these as opposed to finishing on a surgical black Ark like I do? Using only western steel (actually using only vintage western steel if that makes a difference).

memzey":2j2gyelw said:
Hey David. What's the relative merit to finishing on one of these as opposed to finishing on a surgical black Ark like I do? Using only western steel (actually using only vintage western steel if that makes a difference).

Similar result. They have a bit different feel, and have some natural alumina in them (15-20%) and will sometimes cut steels that an arkansas stone doesn't cut that well.

They are far more variable from stone to stone than arkansas stones, though, and because of that, somewhat risky. Particles are smaller in the true finishers and they will cut soft to hard steel a little more consistently (to see what I mean by that, sharpen a cheap soft pocket knife on a black arkansas stone and notice that because the steel is soft, the ark stone cuts it much more aggressively and will tend to raise a fat wire edge (and you won't get a polish). With a decent japanese finisher, it still won't polish, but the edge will be a bit finer.

If we're talking about tool steel in a reasonable range -especially vintage, the results are very similar, and so is the time spent sharpening. The only thing that comes to mind is that there is almost no wire edge left with these, but they do leave an edge that responds very well to stropping, just like a black arkansas stone does. I mention that, because stropping doesn't improve the condition of a deeply-grooved synthetically abraded edge very much, but a bare leather strop after an arkansas stone is almost magical..... one of the reasons that you'll hear some people say stropping doesn't improve an edge (I always ask how someone is sharpening if they say that).

One other side point - I think I said it in the first post. Some of these stones are good for knives, some good for razors and some good for tools. Some are good for more than one and some are good for all three. A black Arkansas stone is excellent for all three unless the stone is of poor quality, then it's not really that great at none.

(if I could only have one of the two types, I'd rather have the black arkansas stone).

Cheers David. My progression is from Lilly White Washita to surgical black Ark then strop on a piece of MDF with autosol smeared on it. As my edges are always hair shaving sharp and sharpening these lovely vintage steels takes little or no time, my question was more from idle curiosity than wanting to change my regime.

memzey":16op9qlx said:
Cheers David. My progression is from Lilly White Washita to surgical black Ark then strop on a piece of MDF with autosol smeared on it. As my edges are always hair shaving sharp and sharpening these lovely vintage steels takes little or no time, my question was more from idle curiosity than wanting to change my regime.

Yeah, they're (japanese naturals) an indulgence, and potentially a frustration - just like buying infill planes. You've got an ideal regimen, one fit for a lifetime of work without anything other than a refresher on the compound from time to time. The autosol on the end (3 micron aluminum oxide, IIRC, but finer working than a stone made of 3 micron alumina - like a king 8k) pretty much seals the deal.

Definitely seems to work ok for me David.

I'm self taught on all this stuff and I still remember getting to grips with sharpening after my initial flea market tool purchases a few short years back (probably chronicled on these boards somewhere come to think of it). I was somewhat intimidated at the prospect after having read a few car crash threads on the topic but eventually thought "what the hell I have to learn sooner or later" and just went for it. It took me at least 45 minutes to establish my first workable edge on an old chisel. After that I sharpened the rest of my edge tools with varying degrees of success but progressively better consistency and sharpness with less time taken on each tool.

After that I remember picking up a fine India at another boot sale and thinking "wow this is amazing" (compared to the Norton combos I was using) and getting the best out of that took the sharpness of my tools up another gear. Adopting the Washita/black ark regime moved my sharpness up yet another notch but when using them without a strop, the difference was probably not quite as great as between the Norton combo and India. Adding an effective strop definitely added another meaningful improvement but beyond that I'm expecting to be in the land of deminishing returns. Having said that I've heard you talk about use of bare or oiled leather as a strop and I might just try that one day.

Either way as the path I took meant I was forced to learn freehand I now think nothing of stopping work to sharpen up as I know it takes less than 2 minutes with the plane off the stock to go from a bit dull to razor sharp (less than a minute for a chisel). I guess I'm lucky I wasn't put off back in the day as a number of threads I read then made freehanding seem virtually impossible for mere mortals and certainly not to be attempted by an inexperienced oaf like yours truly.

memzey":hb7239j0 said:
Either way as the path I took meant I was forced to learn freehand I now think nothing of stopping work to sharpen up as I know it takes less than 2 minutes with the plane off the stock to go from a bit dull to razor sharp (less than a minute for a chisel). I guess I'm lucky I wasn't put off back in the day as a number of threads I read then made freehanding seem virtually impossible for mere mortals and certainly not to be attempted by an inexperienced oaf like yours truly.

From time to time I will pop a gasket like I did yesterday in the edge planing thread, because freehanding will come up and someone will assert that the edges are always inferior and that it's faster to use a guide.

That may be true if someone refuses to develop the skill, but it's not otherwise. It sounds like you've developed the skill, and that skill then allows you to use narrow stones, wide ones, short ones, long ones, stones that are flat, stones that aren't flat, etc.

Bare leather is just a means of preserving the absolute geometry of the edge as a tool comes off of the oilstones (assuming one is using a leather strop). Since you're using MDF, I don't think you'll gain anything with bare leather, and may find out that you're actually sharper than bare leather stropping (the autosol cuts much finer than the particle size suggests once it's broken in on MDF). Above a certain range of sharpness, geometry is what fosters longevity, so I am a fan of the bare leather because it preserves that (and because you can really work the wire edge off with it vigorously if you'd like without really rounding an edge much). Your method doesn't threaten geometry like compound on soft leather, though.

I think being self taught in this case has served you a lot better than following someone else's method.

I tend to agree with you on the benefits of teaching oneself but I am going to take issue with your point on skill. Not because I'm about to argue I haven't learnt how to do it but because I think it is so often overplayed as a challenge it has become misleading. There are a great many things in woodworking that are truly difficult; hand cut dovetails, certain finishing practices, design and layout of beautiful forms or recognising the finished potential in a rough board might be a few. Sharpening isn't one of them. I would hate to think that someone in my position of a few years ago would be put off or dissuaded in any way from trying their hand at it as a result of what we have written here.

memzey":18vc4pxn said:
I tend to agree with you on the benefits of teaching oneself but I am going to take issue with your point on skill. Not because I'm about to argue I haven't learnt how to do it but because I think it is so often overplayed as a challenge it has become misleading. There are a great many things in woodworking that are truly difficult; hand cut dovetails, certain finishing practices, design and layout of beautiful forms or recognising the finished potential in a rough board might be a few. Sharpening isn't one of them. I would hate to think that someone in my position of a few years ago would be put off or dissuaded in any way from trying their hand at it as a result of what we have written here.

Agree, it's a skill, but not a skill like averaging 100 in a game of 501. It's a basic skill and one where you have constant feedback the entire time you're developing it.

And then it leads to sharpening scissors, knives, carving tools, etc - all kinds of stuff freehand.

Yes - 100%. In our kitchen all the knives are western and I think knives are where the Washita really comes into its own. I rarely if ever go beyond that stone when sharpening a knife, be it for marking out or domestic kitchen use. A really versatile stone that cuts that type of steel fast and gives a fine edge (probably a bit finer than a fine India).

Are you saying that Japanese natural stones contain Aluminium in the form of AlOx as used in synthetics or in some other compound often found in sedimentary mud? The prime abrasive in all natural stones is Silica AFAIK or sand deposited and bound together with clay, Novaculite is a bit different but still Silica. I always thought that the big advantage with water stones is their ability to shed grit as in they are not tightly bonded so how do these hard JNats work? Is it like an Ark stone where the abrasive gets blunted with use so giving an effectively finer stone and you are not depending on renewing the abrasive or what? I did read the the lowest grit size in natural stones is around 1 micron so pretty near to a 12K synthetic. I still get the best finish on my Japanese chisels from an old King 8K which either means it is a stone I am used to using or I am just not getting the maximum out of my Sigma 13K, I am talking hand honing here. Experiments using CWs and LIs seem to indicate that an even finer finish is possible and these are very hard stones. Such a fine finish is probably irrelevant for woodworking tools except possibly for carving. My kitchen knives are all Japanese and get finished at either 3K or 8K .

essexalan":64smys5y said:
Are you saying that Japanese natural stones contain Aluminium in the form of AlOx as used in synthetics or in some other compound often found in sedimentary mud? The prime abrasive in all natural stones is Silica AFAIK or sand deposited and bound together with clay, Novaculite is a bit different but still Silica. I always thought that the big advantage with water stones is their ability to shed grit as in they are not tightly bonded so how do these hard JNats work? Is it like an Ark stone where the abrasive gets blunted with use so giving an effectively finer stone and you are not depending on renewing the abrasive or what? I did read the the lowest grit size in natural stones is around 1 micron so pretty near to a 12K synthetic. I still get the best finish on my Japanese chisels from an old King 8K which either means it is a stone I am used to using or I am just not getting the maximum out of my Sigma 13K, I am talking hand honing here. Experiments using CWs and LIs seem to indicate that an even finer finish is possible and these are very hard stones. Such a fine finish is probably irrelevant for woodworking tools except possibly for carving. My kitchen knives are all Japanese and get finished at either 3K or 8K .

Yes, aluminum oxide. IIRC, Kyoto (mt. atago, I believe is the name of the mountain with all of the mines on it) is sediment from volcanic eruptions. Here is a page that has analysis of four separate stones:
http://rk-trading.ocnk.net/page/28

(look down the page to "awase-do analysis table") - about 16-17% alumina on average, mid 60s silica. I was surprised to see the consistency, because some of the stones are strong cutters and some are weak. The composition maybe doesn't explain it that well, who knows? If you can slurry hard stones, even the ones with a reputation as weak cutters, they do cut pretty well.

Now, people selling japanese stones could say anything, so I tracked down tables of volcanic ash (knowing that I know nothing about volcanic ash, and that it might be different from one volcano to the next, I figured I'd at least find something corroborating the analysis table above). See the following:

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script= ... 6000300012 (1/3rd of the way down the page, table III shows something strikingly similar - about 55% silica and 14-15% Al2O3)

Anyway, the bit about shedding particles is sort of a generalized statement - and perhaps attached to the early generation of synthetic stones (the king types). Natural japanese stones come pretty much across the board. Releasing particles easily, releasing them only with pressure, releasing them only with pressure and laminated tools (laminated tools also keep the surface of oilstones a little bit fresher, too), to not releasing particles at all. In the case of the final type, they're a lot more like arkansas stones in use, but not quite as tough - and potentially finer in some situations. The fast shedding particle comments made on behalf of waterstones often resonate with people with low sharpening skill (but certainly preference for them doesn't mean that's definitely the reason), especially if the early generation were combined with comments about how they are finer than an oilstone (they are not, properly hardened steel can be driven to higher sharpness with trans or black ark than with a king 8k, but it takes a little bit more skill and a more specific technique. As you say, LI can do the same, as can charn, but charn are very variable from stone to stone. I've only had two LIs - still have them, actually - they remind me a lot of a trans or black ark).

Your statement about not needing anything beyond the king 8k in woodworking is 100% correct. There is a point with the ultrafine stones where the chance of success in getting everything out of the stone and actually getting a finished edge is low enough that someone is better off just using a finisher that's a little less fine and that's a little faster. Sharpening something for 5 minutes and then taking a paring cut is really a poor test of the applicability of a sharpening setup. A better one is half an hour into work, what's an edge look like when you refresh it and your mind is still stuck on finishing a surface. People chase the finest and hardest japanese natural stones, too, and pay a bunch of money for them, but the more practical stone is one that's just a touch softer. Unfortunately, the market is starting to catch up to that fact, so good versions of those aren't cheap.

Particle-wise, I've heard alex gilmore say that the lower limit for japanese naturals is about 3 microns. However, in looking for the volcanic ash info above, one of the sources said that volcanic ash can have particles as fine as a micron, so though I was about to say that 3 is the correct number, who knows what it is? I think for stones specifically, at least the cutting particles, probably 3 is closer, because it takes technique to get the most out of them, whereas applying a microbevel in a guide with a 0.73 micron sigma power 13k pretty much produces the same result no matter how you do it.

(just a side comment - I have touted the washita in a couple of videos on youtube. I don't get that many viewers - that's not my objective. I want enthusiasts in the feedback loop, not everyone, which is what happens if you start making nice videos that are well edited and entertaining. At any rate, about once every 3 months, i get a comment from someone who had given up on sharpening but went and tracked down a washita. The follow up comment is that they've never had tools as sharp as they have when just using the washita stone. That means, to me, that fine and slow cutting media wasn't for them - because you can certainly get sharper than a washita, but if you can't do it consistently as a user, then the washita is a better stone to use).

David, I think that Chris Schwartz' latest blog was intended for you :)

https://blog.lostartpress.com/2017/07/2 ... all-rocks/

Regards from Perth

Derek

Oh, Derek. You know I can't stand that guy! Several of us call him "Jammer" (because of his ability to jam saws in show segments). I don't disagree that the system doesn't matter very much, but nobody needs Chris's opinions when they could've gotten George's any time since 2009. George actually worked with his tools and said the very same thing from the start.

(one of the first things he said to me - over the phone - probably in 2010 after starting to read the forums was "WHO CARES WHAT SHARPENING STONES PEOPLE USE?!")

Very interesting links DW lots of reading to do but no intention of buying any way out of my pay grade. There are some edge pics in Odate's book comparing the edges obtained with Arks and King stones, the edges from the Ark stone looks more burnished but I have no idea which would be sharper.

essexalan":2bf706s0 said:
Very interesting links DW lots of reading to do but no intention of buying any way out of my pay grade. There are some edge pics in Odate's book comparing the edges obtained with Arks and King stones, the edges from the Ark stone looks more burnished but I have no idea which would be sharper.

Pictures of edges are really hard to take because superficial things are the most prominent. By hard, I mean that what looks the best isn't always what's sharpest. I'd say that both types have about the same potential in hard steel, though.

Definitely wouldn't suggest people start buying these. I thought I'd trigger a big negative reaction as a ruse, but it didn't happen!

D_W":24wt2ij9 said:
David, I think that Chris Schwartz' latest blog was intended for you :)

https://blog.lostartpress.com/2017/07/2 ... all-rocks/

Regards from Perth

Derek

Oh, Derek. You know I can't stand that guy! Several of us call him "Jammer" (because of his ability to jam saws in show segments). I don't disagree that the system doesn't matter very much, but nobody needs Chris's opinions when they could've gotten George's any time since 2009. George actually worked with his tools and said the very same thing from the start.

(one of the first things he said to me - over the phone - probably in 2010 after starting to read the forums was "WHO CARES WHAT SHARPENING STONES PEOPLE USE?!")

David, George and I chat quite often and we agree on many things. In the case of sharpening, we use the exact same system -
both hollow grind (he has your old Tormek, I recall), and same stones (EZ Lap 600/Spyderco Medium and Ultra Fine/LV green compound on MDF/hardwood).

What is relevant about this system - and flies in the face of CS's blog - is that the media does count , and the Spydercos are good for all stones, including the abrasion-resistant steels, such as A2, PM-V11, M2/M4 and D2. It is really a no-nonsense system that requires minimal upkeep (the stones hardly ever - if ever! - require flattening), and are always ready to go.

Like George, I am interested enough in sharpening systems to ensure that what we use works and does so efficiently. After this our interest in sharpening dwindles rapidly, and we are more interested in the outcome of sharp blades. I appreciate that for you (and others) sharpening holds some fascination. I think that the point that CS makes (but not well) is that woodworking uses sharp blades but is not about sharpening.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Latest posts

Back