Not happy - Tin pot council officers who can issue fines.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fred55

Established Member
Reaction score
Just got a £35 fine for going down a street in Doncaster that I have been going down for 50years - Why - some 'traffic geek in their world' decided to alter the priority to just allow buses down, which would be OK with sign post, but also decide to alter the language from what I consider normal ie Bus lane; Bus lane have been Bus lanes for ever; But No now they call them Bus Gates ! FM I saw the sign splashed along the road - Bus Gate ! whats that ! and yes there's the camera. Am I getting old, or are there too many trumped up little geek in offices giving out rules for others; and who gave them the power to fine me. Is it just me - are we getting to be over regulated Nanny State Controlled Society - who give them the authority to fine people - oh; I sent a letter explaining after I received the fine, the reply pay £35 or after 14 days £70 if you go to appeal £140, signed by Sara the Enforcement Officer. Beam me up Scottie. Any body else feel we are in a Nanny State

It is best to pay these things when the amount is low, otherwise they will increase it and increase it and there has even been cases of people losing their homes from that accumulation.

The council rarely if ever side with you and as you say are petty and officious.

These sort of changes of use are usually well publicised in local papers, radio etc, as well as local/ nearby signs warning of that change.
They changed a busy road/ short cut to buses & taxis only in my town and for the first few months, the local council fined hundreds of local drivers for continuing to use it.....Sounds like a similar situation....

Just got a £35 fine for going down a street in Doncaster that I have been going down for 50years - Why - some 'traffic geek in their world' decided to alter the priority to just allow buses down, which would be OK with sign post, but also decide to alter the language from what I consider normal ie Bus lane; Bus lane have been Bus lanes for ever; But No now they call them Bus Gates ! FM I saw the sign splashed along the road - Bus Gate ! whats that ! and yes there's the camera. Am I getting old, or are there too many trumped up little geek in offices giving out rules for others; and who gave them the power to fine me. Is it just me - are we getting to be over regulated Nanny State Controlled Society - who give them the authority to fine people - oh; I sent a letter explaining after I received the fine, the reply pay £35 or after 14 days £70 if you go to appeal £140, signed by Sara the Enforcement Officer. Beam me up Scottie. Any body else feel we are in a Nanny State
A bus gate is actually different to a bus lane. A bus gate is typically to permit a bus to make a turn at a junction that cars are not permitted to do.

There needs to be a sign not just paint on the road marking it. If there isn’t then you can contest it.

I can understand you being hacked off (I've made a similar mistake and had to pay up) but I don't see the link to tin pot council officials. Doncaster Council haven't made up the term Bus Gate and are presumably restricting traffic other than buses on that stretch of road for the wider benefit of the Doncaster public. It would be illogical to not be subject to a fine for ignoring road signs.

If it's not got appropriate and clear signage you will win at appeal.

I'll be voting for further curtailment of motorists domination of urban roads and town centres.
I read an paper demonstrating that the reduction in childhood 'free play' time is directly correlated to the number of vehicles on the road, i.e. the priority planning and development its given to vehicles, rather than children.

I read another that shows cars are getting progressivly more dangerous due to driver distraction with more controls hidden in touch screen menus rather then direct access via buttons on the dash.

These council money trees are very annoying and I would wish to contest it but I think I would pay the £35 first and then contest it but this could be a waste of time but at lesst you would have got it off your chest.

Absolutely a complete waste of public funds and taxpayers money . These so called enforcement cameras and employees are there to catch the unfortunate motorists who imo make a mistake . The answer -1st offence -a warning that any future infringement will result in a fine - result =a decent motorist will not make that mistake again . However the prolific offenders are never caught as they have removed the front number plate and hidden it at the bottom of the windscreen , the rear plate has also been altered to make it harder for these cameras to read . A brief word on amber and more importantly RED LIGHT jumpers - makes my blood boil that these drivers put everyone’s life at risk and absolutely nothing is done , no cameras , no enforcement officers , no police and no fines . Yet you stray into a bus lane and it’s an instant fine on its way .. did I mention speeding ? excessive noise from performance exhaust systems that should only be heard at a organised proffesional rally , or the hordes of motorbikes , and mopeds and scooters cruising along busy roads , doing wheelies and also jumping red lights , weaving in and out of traffic and again nothing is done .. ok so rant over but am I alone on this . You now have to wait a few seconds when you get a green light for the inevitable red light jumpers to casually cross the red light and give you a rude gesture or shout some profanity should you be rude and sound your horn at them .. ok so now rant over ☹️☹️☹️😖😖😖

These council money trees are very annoying and I would wish to contest it but I think I would pay the £35 first and then contest it but this could be a waste of time but at lesst you would have got it off your chest.
It you pay you can’t contest it. By paying you agree you were at fault.

If you feel there is inadequate warning (as iin clearly visible signs - not just on the road surface) then take photos, contact council and point this out. Also if in AA/RAC and have access to their legal services call them in to see if they can help?

Any challenges to the fine, make in writing, send by recorded express/next day delivery so the council can’t say they didn’t receive it.

For what it's worth, the term 'Bus Gate' does not appear in the index of the latest copy of the Highway Code

What about the 'Car Trap' in St. Ives, Cambs.? IMHO it's an absolute disgrace that another 'Tin-pot' council are allowed to do this, it's no more than a 'Constructed' pot-hole!
ULEZ - another rip-off. I owned a Saab from new, for 21 years, sold it 13 months ago, now I discover it's 'ULEZ Compliant,, in which case WHY is it in a high tax band (£395)? Just beggers the Q. @how clean is ULEZ? :mad: :dunno:
Best wishes Mr.Angry. AKA You know who!

For what it's worth, the term 'Bus Gate' does not appear in the index of the latest copy of the Highway Code
These 'Councils' are made up of 'Jobs Worths' out to line their own pockets for when they get kicked off🤬 at the next election, & they invent these phrases as they go along - that's my opinion & I be sticking to it!

Absolutely a complete waste of public funds and taxpayers money . These so called enforcement cameras and employees are there to catch the unfortunate motorists who imo make a mistake . The answer -1st offence -a warning that any future infringement will result in a fine - result =a decent motorist will not make that mistake again . However the prolific offenders are never caught as they have removed the front number plate and hidden it at the bottom of the windscreen , the rear plate has also been altered to make it harder for these cameras to read . A brief word on amber and more importantly RED LIGHT jumpers - makes my blood boil that these drivers put everyone’s life at risk and absolutely nothing is done , no cameras , no enforcement officers , no police and no fines . Yet you stray into a bus lane and it’s an instant fine on its way .. did I mention speeding ? excessive noise from performance exhaust systems that should only be heard at a organised proffesional rally , or the hordes of motorbikes , and mopeds and scooters cruising along busy roads , doing wheelies and also jumping red lights , weaving in and out of traffic and again nothing is done .. ok so rant over but am I alone on this . You now have to wait a few seconds when you get a green light for the inevitable red light jumpers to casually cross the red light and give you a rude gesture or shout some profanity should you be rude and sound your horn at them .. ok so now rant over ☹️☹️☹️😖😖😖
:ROFLMAO: Sounds bad in Wolverhampton, or have you been watching too many Mad Max films? :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Back