Axminster HBS350N / RECORD POWER BS350 Bandsaw Advice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will very quickly learn that a bandsaw is almost indispensable once you start using it and want to upgrade, so could be a waste of time, buying a cheap second hand one, go for the largest one you can if you must buy second hand.

Why not ask the seller here: post1144485.html#p1144485 if he would accept a courier to collect it, may need to be on a pallet?

Mike

Most bandsaws will have some sort of belt tenion device. It's the only way to get blades working correctly.

Whatever you buy, there will be loads of members that can help you get it working well, so don't worry. As said before, the better you can buy, the more likely you are not to want to change it ......maybe.
Malcolm

I REALLY appreciate your prompt replies both - the saw's nearly an hour away and I've been wondering how best to spend my Sunday! If I lived closer to it, I think I'd have bought the used Record saw - you've both mentioned it, and it looks very good. I even checked courier prices but they're so high to here.

The Axminster that I was thinking of when I started this thread/ question had sold when I went back to the store, which is why I'm still asking questions - but I think it's looking like a new Record 350 (though I had a demo of the 300 on Friday and was surprised what it can do), both on offer at the moment. Meanwhile, I'll get on with relaxing the rest of the bank holiday, til the shop opens again!

Thanks again, Chris

Chris152":1bt4wfph said:
Thanks both!

I took a look at the BS350S which looks good, and turns out delivery is free and there's another £50 off for an event this weekend. So that's 600 all in, including 5 years warranty. The only reservation I have is the size of the mitre tracks - they're smaller than normal (I think) so I guess you can't get a mitre upgrade - is that correct?

Thanks again for all the advice.

Chris

Who was that offer with please?

The offer's with Data in Cardiff, and that price is held til this Friday, apparently.

So, I finally bought one, and now have it set up. The installation manual is odd/ wrong in places, so I'll do a separate post with comments on what to watch for for anyone else trying to set up the same machine. Meanwhile...

All is good, but the sound it makes seems a little irregular, but I'm not sure!

Can you have a listen/ look and let me know? The link's here:

https://vimeo.com/215853641

Is something out of balance?

Thanks!

Sounds like the rear thrust or the side bearings are running instead of being clear of the blade.

Mike

The blade is touching something it shouldn't. Disconnect from the power, open top door, and turn it over by hand. It should soon become obvious what the problem is.

Chris152":1aet9usl said:
The offer's with Data in Cardiff, and that price is held til this Friday, apparently.

So, I finally bought one, and now have it set up. The installation manual is odd/ wrong in places, so I'll do a separate post with comments on what to watch for for anyone else trying to set up the same machine. Meanwhile...

All is good, but the sound it makes seems a little irregular, but I'm not sure!

Can you have a listen/ look and let me know? The link's here:

https://vimeo.com/215853641

Is something out of balance?

Thanks!

Definately not right. It's also not continuous, almost like its a 'bump' in the blade or something that only strikes on one full loop. I'd suggest first opening both doors and manually rotating the wheels by hand to diagnose where it is.

If you can't spot anything, try taking components off one by one. So upper bearing, then lower bearing, then blade guard etc.

Bearings are rubbing on the blade,
Open up all bearings so they are fully away from the blade. then start it up.

Adjust the side bearings untill they are a fag papers width from the blade and set about an 1/8" behind the gullet of the teeth.
Then adjust the rear bearings so that blade does not touch them when its free running, but the blade hits them BEFORE the teeth get pinched between the side bearings,

you may have already blunted the blade in there by squeezing the teeth flat with the side bearings.

Take out the table centre and run to see if the blade is rubbing there.

Mike

Well, the method of turning by hand worked - i could hear the noise coming from the motor housing, which turned out to have a small dent on the light metal end cover that one of the plastic fan blades was touching. I thought about sending it back but decided to remove it (three small screws) tap it back to shape, which worked fine and it's running properly now. I might ask them to send a replacement anyway, just because.

Thank you everyone - what a great forum this is.

Glad it was something trivial, and you where able to rectify it.

Mike

In case it's of any help to anyone, I made this little video of (what I think are) errors in the Record Power BS350S Instruction Manual. It's based entirely on common sense and the experience of setting it up, and not at all on knowledge of bandsaws!

I'm going to leave it here rather than start a new thread because I'm not confident that what I've said is correct, it's just what I found to be the case.

https://vimeo.com/215968234

If I've got anything wrong, please let me know! (That said, I already know that the Rise and Fall Lock Knob are wrongly indicated in Fig 6.11, not Fig 6.1 as I say in the video.)

Chris

You are correct, and as I have discovered, there are more errors and omissions in the BS350S manual. It appears that Record Power might be a few versions behind in the documentation, but they have been quick to answer my questions and provide instructions on how to resolve issues with my bandsaw.

Here are two threads I started concerning my experiences with the BS350S:

Record Power BS350S Trunnion Roller

Axminster Rip Fence Upgrade for Record Power BS350S Bandsaw

Those are both good threads, Mike (with really good photos - unlike my videography!) - fortunately my table is solid as it is, so no modifications needed to the trunnion as far as I can see. As for the fence, I found it to be quite a fiddle to set up, so don't fancy having to rotate it for thinner pieces of wood.
It's strange that Record don't sort the paperwork - I would have thought a technician could go through that manual in no time and see and correct the errors.

On a different matter - have you (or anyone) got the dust under control on your saw? I've read all the threads on this, I think, but wonder what works best with this saw on a limited budget. I can only afford to get one (cheap) vacuum device and am inclined to think it would be best near the point of cutting, rather than at the dedicated extraction point in the lower wheel housing.

SO - given that I'll be making very few cuts, literally maybe 10 mins per week - would I be better off just attaching a 'shop' vacuum right next to the point of cutting (under the table) than attaching say, a Record DX1000 to the dedicated extraction point below?

Thanks, Chris

If you are only using the saw for a max of 10 mins a week, I would go for attaching a shop vac right next the point of cutting and block off the dedicated extraction point, just open the cabinet door when you have finished and vacuum out the debris collected after each use, would not be advisable to let it build up though.

Mike

Chris152":3hpuddva said:
On a different matter - have you (or anyone) got the dust under control on your saw? I've read all the threads on this, I think, but wonder what works best with this saw on a limited budget. I can only afford to get one (cheap) vacuum device and am inclined to think it would be best near the point of cutting, rather than at the dedicated extraction point in the lower wheel housing.

May be of interest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut_tqnqrRww

Back