Chisel Buying Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegtr

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am about to buy a set of bevel edge chisels. I have narrowed the choice down to 2 options:
a) Irwin Maples M373 splitproof
b) Banco bevel edge

Have you had experienced any of the above?

Do you already have any chisels?

If yes: You don't need many chisels. 3 or 4 will be enough for most jobs. On your budget (£60?) I'd buy two good chisels. 1/4" and 3/4" perhaps. Ashley isles are in that budget and excellent.

If no: I'd recommend buying a cheap set. I started with a set of Vaunt chisels. Having a set of chisels that I was happy to use and abuse was a great starting point and I still use them a lot in spite of having a set of Ashley Isles for fine work. They will also teach you which size chisels you actually need. In your budget getting a cheap set would also allow for a cheap set of diamond stones. Learning to sharpen is a key part to chisel work. A well sharpened cheap chisel is far superior to a blunt expensive one. Second hand chisels is another option.

In summary, start with some cheap chisels and sharpening system. Learning to sharpen and use them. Then buy individual good quality chisels to replace them as you find their short coming (need a good bevel edge for dovetails for example). Oh and upgrade the sharpening system as you go.

If yes: You don't need many chisels. 3 or 4 will be enough for most jobs. On your budget (£60?) I'd buy two good chisels. 1/4" and 3/4" perhaps. Ashley isles are in that budget and excellent.

If no: I'd recommend buying a cheap set. I started with a set of Vaunt chisels. Having a set of chisels that I was happy to use and abuse was a great starting point and I still use them a lot in spite of having a set of Ashley Isles for fine work. They will also teach you which size chisels you actually need. In your budget getting a cheap set would also allow for a cheap set of diamond stones. Learning to sharpen is a key part to chisel work. A well sharpened cheap chisel is far superior to a blunt expensive one. Second hand chisels is another option.

In summary, start with some cheap chisels and sharpening system. Learning to sharpen and use them. Then buy individual good quality chisels to replace them as you find their short coming (need a good bevel edge for dovetails for example). Oh and upgrade the sharpening system as you go.
Agree with the above except for the sharpening. I'd look at down grading instead. :unsure:
The secret is to have a fine or medium oil stone always on hand, on the job, and give your chisel very frequent quick freehand hones when you are using it. Takes hardly any time at all.
If you do this as a matter of course your chisel will never need extensive "sharpening" in the modern fashion.
More or less like keeping a kitchen knife sharp - every time you use one give it just a few strokes on a steel (3 or 4 fast strokes each side, no great pressure required) and that's all it will ever need for life.
In other words its not about putting an edge on something straight from the blacksmith, its about keeping an already sharp edge, permanently sharp.

Last edited:

I'd agree I'd start with a cheap set learn to sharpen them, use them for basic work and then put them in your carrying tool bag and buy a nice set for workshop use.

I like the old blue Stanley ones, good steel from days gone by.

MHG are good value, similar to Narex they have wooden handles with hoops so you can use a hammer.
Had a set for years they are good steel and sharpen up nicely.
I can't remember where I bought them but they don't seem to have a UK distributor.
might have bought mine from Germany pre brexit.
There is a set of 6 on ebay for 50 quid though.
Bahco are good but be careful as they do more than one range and the cheap ones are not nice.

Ollie

I am about to buy a set of bevel edge chisels. I have narrowed the choice down to 2 options:
a) Irwin Maples M373 splitproof
b) Banco bevel edge

Have you had experienced any of the above?
The two brands you mention are probably amongst the worst you can buy, they will hinder you with their massively thick edges and poor quality steel.
I can recommend the Ashley Isles bevel edge chisels, really fine edges and good quality steel and the Robert Sorby bevel edge chisels, again, fine edges and good steel.
As for sharpening get yourself a guide, the Eclipse type is probably the most versatile and cheapest, this will give you a consistently accurate edge whilst taking off the minimum of metal. Also a fine diamond stone will do to start with, no hollowing of the stone with these unlike oil stones. When your confidence and ability grows you may want to delve into waterstones or even micro films both of which are very good but stick with the guide, I've yet to meet a free hand sharpener who can repeatedly sharpen a chisel to exactly the same angle, this approach wastes steel and shortens the life of the tool, in my opinion.
Regards Mark

Visit second hand/junk shops etc , recycling centres and so on. Look for Marples, Sorbey, anything with a broad arrow mark (ex Government stores procurement ) as we were once pretty fussy. As long as the back face is not rusty enough to be pitted they will fettle and keep a good edge (small batch crucible tool steel, not from reclaimed washing machines with overlooked copper waste)

You'll not need many, as said above, and sharpening them will be good practice.

In my mid 70s I have come to the joys of diamond plate sharpening, wetted with spray window cleaner. My 9" Trend plate was not expensive together a treasured Arkansa stone for polishing.

Above all, a good handle that fits your hand/feels right.

Doug

Edit to say there is no shame in using a sharpening guide...when you were on the tools 8 hours a day muscle memory was a 'given' ...

Last edited:
.... I've yet to meet a free hand sharpener who can repeatedly sharpen a chisel to exactly the same angle,
:ROFLMAO: You need to get out more! Near enough exactly the same angle is very easy, any fool can do it.
this approach wastes steel and shortens the life of the tool,
Quite the opposite, it's minimal, which is one of the main advantages. Frantic modern sharpening gets through blades very quickly.

Chisel brands: I've got all sorts. I suppose the old Sheffield made wooden handled are nicest to use. Wooden handles are lighter too, which matters if you are doing a lot of repetitive work like DTs. Modern ones seem to be heavy and crude, but that could be OK depending on the work you are doing. I bought a really cheap "Faithful" set of carving chisels but they were horrible, but still usable if no alternative to hand!

Last edited:
£40 for a single chisel!? 😒

Buy them at car boots and places. I buy anything marked 'Sheffield'! As long as there's plenty of steel left and it's not bent or corroded. Learn to sharpen them and use them and when you get good, reward yourself with a fine set.

You'll end up with several sets over time anyway; one unloved set for general construction bashing, another for general woodworkery, and maybe some more nicer sets you use for fine work and the sheer pleasure. All my 'fancy' razor sharp chisels came from carboots.

Latest posts

Back