Budget mitre saw with forward facing rails

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Rutlands one is a single bevel, I find that "direct drive" gives it away because the motor would restrict movement and when you look at many double bevel saws the motor is higher up and uses a belt.

The Rutlands one is Single bevel going by the angle scale

1714314317889.png

and the Screwfix one is also a single bevel as that motor prevents much movement and the Rutlands is a Hyundai clone, as said the only thing not cloned is the nameplate. Also no spindle lock or brake so not ideal for a novice.

1714314617911.png

On a £250 max budget the best machine for value would undoubtedly be the Metabo KGS 254. I've had one since 2016 and it's had really heavy use during parts of that time period and it's still doesn't show any signs of wear. Even after extensive use there is no discernable shaft wear/ blade wobble and is tight now as the day it was delivered.
Having used both types, as a product I'd say it sits nicely between amateur and professional tools
It's very well put together piece of kit and reliably accurate and I regularly cut down timber ends to the accuracy of the thinnest of pencil lines and once set up will give precise cuts accurate to within thousandths of an inch.

It will cut timber to 92mm depth and has a jaw width of 300mm (max cut width) so pretty useful.
There's a decent choice of blades available though Metabo (branded) themselves are both cheap and very good at cutting and will stay sharp for ages.

The only downside is that it's not soft start machine but I can live with that as I make sure I keep the blade away from the workpiece until ready. Other than a failed LED work area light it's as good today as it was back in 2016.
Thanks ey_tony for taking the time to post a comprehensive review but as BucksDad says I need to save space, so forward rails is a necessity.

I think for your budget you are asking for to much, I would want accuracy and repeatability at the top as being most important and I would sacrifice the forward rails if it compromised that criteria. I am in the same boat in that I want to replace my old Bosch saw which is working perfectly ok with something that can fit against the wall, for me the only saw which meets my requirements is the Bosch GCM 12 inch glide but at nearly a grand it does not come cheap.
Spectric, I'm definitely asking for to much. I want my cake AND I want to eat it 🤣
Just can't justify the cost of those premium brands.

I wonder with the criteria of forward facing rails, is there anything decent for less than £400?

The Rutlands one is a single bevel, I find that "direct drive" gives it away because the motor would restrict movement and when you look at many double bevel saws the motor is higher up and uses a belt.

View attachment 180378

and the Screwfix one is also a single bevel as that motor prevents much movement and the Rutlands is a Hyundai clone, as said the only thing not cloned is the nameplate. Also no spindle lock or brake so not ideal for a novice.

View attachment 180379
Thanks again!! Really appreciate your help.

View attachment 180378

View attachment 180379
My misunderstanding of double bevel. I thought it meant ability to cut compound angles but I see now this ability is restricted by the vertical set being one sided meaning you'd have swing the workpiece round to cut an opposing bevel.
It does have a spindle lock to enable blade change. The hold down clamp is now more ergonomic than mine.
Brian

My misunderstanding of double bevel. I thought it meant ability to cut compound angles but I see now this ability is restricted by the vertical set being one sided meaning you'd have swing the workpiece round to cut an opposing bevel.
It does have a spindle lock to enable blade change. The hold down clamp is now more ergonomic than mine.
Brian
Thanks Brian, what blade do you have in yours? I'm beginning leaning towards the Hyundai if for no other reason than he fact its 255mm diameter!!

Thanks Brian, what blade do you have in yours? I'm beginning leaning towards the Hyundai if for no other reason than he fact its 255mm diameter!!
But is 255mm what you need. Yes bigger cut, but takes up more space and generally heavier.
That's why I sold off my 255mm SIP, great saw but to big in workshop and at 26kg to much to move around. The dewalts only 10 or 11kg, so can shift it around and use outside without getting a heart attack (again!)

For your criteria another +1 for the DeWalt DWS774. I have one as well as a 250mm Makita chop saw. I'm not sure what is the difference between the 773 and 774, other than an extra 100w motor. There doesn't seem to be any/much price premium for the 774. Is the 774 just a newer upgrade of the 773?

Yes it is a 255 blade. There's a bit of history here. My first cross cutting experience, other than a tenon saw, was a big beefy Wadkin radial arm saw at college, so when I was setting up my own workshop I went down that route and acquired a Delta RAS (similar to a DeWalt). After several years use I realised that it was taking up too much room for the use I was putting it to. So I replaced it with a s/h 8' Metabo. This was a good machine and I enjoyed using it. The last thing of note l used it for was this pattern for a box lid:-
P1120312.JPG

Shortly after this the saw's motor failed and the was no prospect of an economic repair so I scrapped it. I decided it would be an opportunity to upgrade a 10" saw. Like you, I didn't want to spend a fortune and I was attracted to the fixed forward rails of the Hyundai which was readily available from Screwfix.
As I will be downsizing to a much smaller workshop in the not too distant future, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can accommodate it. If I attempt another pattern, as above, I could certainly make use of the extra capacity to achieve more intricate designs.
Looking at the 3 suppliers that have been identified here, Tools4Trade, Rutlands and Screwfix I would recommend the latter for ease of return of faulty items.
Brian

Last edited:
dewalt DWS778
Not really cost effective though, the 778 is quite pricy.
In fact I've got one, well the DW700, which is now living under a bench and has been superseded by a Kapex 60.
Only issue i had with the 700 was it cant be used for trenching, so needed something else to do that hence buying the Kapex.
I dont know if the later Dewalt models like the 778/777/773 have a trenching facility, someone will know more there

The 778 is outside the op's budget, and maybe not the 777 which is a lot less but still more than the OP is looking to spend.
But if that style is acceptable, possibly something like the DWS773, which retails at about £230 and has a 10" crosscut at 62mm depth.

Another option might be the hikoki c8fshg, which has 300x54mm or 280x65mm. The Hikoki retails at £155

Possibly find the build quality on the dewalt is better than the hikoki though.

Last edited:
I have a Dewalt. Power and durability are good. Lack of features is the major downside.
If I was buying again, I'd go for something with a laser/shadow line and trenching. People I know who have Bosch, Makita and Festool are all happy with theirs, FYI

Back