which compact forward sliding mitre saw as gift for my Dad.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe some saw basic's with regards to cutting square, never had any issues with Bosch saws but on the occasions that I have got a bad cut it was easily explained. On one or two occasions I had not returned the saw fully into the 0° indent and on another I had not noticed some debris that held the wood slightly off the fence, a quick brush solved it. Then how good is the square you are using to check for squareness, there are some really good ones out there but also some really iffy ones so before blaming the machine ensure you are using precise measuring tools that you know are spot on.

@JKM Thanks for taking the time to provide all that info and take the measurements, it's really helpful. Glad you're pleases with the saw. Sounds like the cut quality is excellent like my KS 120 and the tracksaw.

Maybe some saw basic's with regards to cutting square, never had any issues with Bosch saws but on the occasions that I have got a bad cut it was easily explained. On one or two occasions I had not returned the saw fully into the 0° indent and on another I had not noticed some debris that held the wood slightly off the fence, a quick brush solved it. Then how good is the square you are using to check for squareness, there are some really good ones out there but also some really iffy ones so before blaming the machine ensure you are using precise measuring tools that you know are spot on.
When i was checking my old Makita saw I was using Woodpeckers squares and I have a Moore & Wright Engineers' Square that I keep in a draw and only use as a reference to check the other squares are actually square. I use the calculation methods in the Festool Kapex manual PDF to check the square and recalibrate if necessary.

Looking to treat my Dad to a CSMS as he's had a rough time with his health recently and he'd like to get into a bit of woodwork, making bird boxes, other small items, maybe some furniture and just general DIY. Looking for something accurate and simple to operate that stays in alignment - I used a rear slide Erbauer saw on a job last week and that kept going out of alignment. Good extraction and tenching facility would be good as well. I use that a lot on my Kapex. (I upgraded to a Kapex 120 from a Makita that i could never keep accurate, think it was a 1018 - I love the Kapex but my god has the price gone up!)

Space is limited so i think I have to look at forward sliding saws. The Bosch glide saw looks great but is realistically too expensive.

So what options are there?
Makita LS1019 - have read about alignment issues - is that a non-issue?
Kapex HS 60 E - is this too small and is it capable enough?
Metabo KGSV 72 Xact - don't know anything about this one.
And there is a Hyundai and a Hikoki C8FSHG both under £200 - no idea if these are any good.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
What decision did you make in the end? I am having a similar dilemma currently (though not as a present!)

Hi

I've searched and searched and even contacted Makita (no reply as yet) but I can't find what the lowered/locked position height is for the Makita LS1019 (I know it's 660mm when in use).

Can anyone who owns one let me know what this figure is?

Cheers

Latest posts

Back