Used Mitre Saw advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petemcr

Reaction score
I'm sure this will have been covered, I used the search but I didn't come across anything so I thought I would make a nuisance of myself, so apologies in advanced.

I want to start doing some more woodworking projects, mainly for the garden and all I have done so far has just been with hand tools. So I was looking at purchasing a mitre saw, from what I've read they're a good starting point, but I wanted to ask, as I'll just be using it for my own projects and being a novice, would a used good condition mitre be okay, or am I going to run into issues where it needs to be set up again, or aligned etc...

Just going off previous used purchased where I thought I'd saved myself some money but then had to have something serviced which has driven up the price close to the new retail price. Also, I see a lot of 10" and 12" and I'm not sure which would be right.

depends on how it has been treated in the past, if trade, may have a lot of usage

10/12" depends on size you need to cut - height & width

is this a chop saw or a sliding mitre saw -

what type of garden projects

It all depends on how hard a life it had and whether it had been serviced at any stage. The brushes on the motor may be well worn ( unless it's an induction motor ) so ask the vendor. You might be better off getting a new but cheapish 10" - 12" saw unless you can find a barely used bargain.

Last edited:
Judging by the pics,

It looks like they have been using it for wookworking projects in a garage, also looks fairly clean so it doesn't appear like it has been used on a work site but I could be wrong and it's a sliding mitre saw.

It's mainly just going to be used on stuff like table furniture, nothing huge as I'm just starting out really, it's a JCB that I'm looking at but there's a few others around, none of which look to be in as good condition but I could be wrong on that.

Has any one tried the excel ones?

216mm and 300mm are bar forward design. 250mm still bar behind.

I'm thinking of the DeWalt 216mm tbh.

i have the dewalt 250mm (DWS778) and its really good , when not in use its packed away. when the garage changes to become a temporary workshop , i get the SMS out and put it on the stand, I can then put it close up against the garage wall , and leave space to then work in front - otherwise the other type they have to be quite a way from the wall to use, and allow for the rails - I also like the shadow line - rather than a laser, no setup required

The model I've been looking at is a MS254SB and they're asking £70 for it,

But, the same person is selling a Scheppach HM254X for £100,

Apologies if the seller is on here as well btw, I just like to research everything before I shell out :geek:

not sure on the difference between the S and the SB

B&Q have the S - not listed on JCB site - for £140
https://www.diy.com/departments/jcb...ing-mitre-saw-jcb-ms254s/5055803339197_BQ.prdnot sure of difference , maybe its a special just for B&Q
https://jcb-tools.co.uk/jcb-254mm-sliding-mitre-saw-21-ms-254sb/
begs the question why selling 2 mitre saws, and why they had 2 anyway

Very good point,

Just thinking what would be best for my budget, or maybe I should look at increasing my budget and getting one later down the line.

I did not see a budget in the original question

what is the maximum budget - and also
depends on size you need to cut - height & width
do you have an idea of the size of material you would like to cut for the garden projects
It's mainly just going to be used on stuff like table furniture,

Has any one tried the excel ones?

216mm and 300mm are bar forward design. 250mm still bar behind.

I'm thinking of the DeWalt 216mm tbh.
I have the 250mm Excel, bought a couple of years ago. I've been very happy with it - it's been reliable and accurate. I'm a hobbyist, so can't speak for how well it would stand up to trade use. The one significant irritant is that the alignment laser isn't bright enough. Fine indoors, but when I'm working outside, very hard to see..
I have a couple of other Excel power tools and I've fond them to be very good value

Back