Mitre Saw advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadrunner45

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am looking to buy a sliding mitre saw and I am looking at spending approx £300 pound , I would like a cutting size of max 300mm x 80mm.
What is the best make I could get for my money available for example Bosch/Makita/Dewalt/Evolution , I would like as accurate as possible again with my limited budget?

I appreciate this is a massive subject but any help is really welcome as I am a bit overwhelmed with all the options.

Thanks

Evolution saws run their blades slower and come as standard with a multimaterial blades that can handle metal. They are ok tools for the money, but in my experience (a £60 non sliding evolution mitre) they are not precision tools, and the speed is a hinderance in running other blades. I'd rule them out for your needs

..after much researching I ended up with a Metabo KGS 254 (I am a casual user), been happy with it so far. It has a trench cut facility, but only "tilts" the one way...

Have you considered second hand or are you only looking to buy new?

At around the £300 mark, you might pick up something like a DeWalt DW718 (a good few around are 110v).

What are you going to be cutting, at that price point I doubt precision will be brilliant and so maybe a better quality secondhand saw would be a better option.

I'd expect a quality second hand saw that has been static in a workshop, and well maintained year after year, would be well worth your money.

If it's moved around from site to site, rattled around in a van, it could be less worthwhile

The other saw I looked at was the Makita one, don't know the model name now, but the competitor to the Bosch. One review had issues getting it exactly 90 degrees and couldn't find a way to tune it.

Bought the Bosch and haven't had a single issue, very smooth saw, cuts mitres and bevels, and one feature which I use all the time which is trench cuts. Many saws don't have that. It has a laser, which I get on really well with, but many prefer the DeWalt shadow line.

I currently have the SIP 10" sliding mitre saw, the earlier 01314 not the newer 01511, powerful motor, sturdy build and big. Been great, but now in a narrow 8ft workshop/shed, I'm thinking of selling it to get the smaller dewalt below, as the motor slides on forward facing rails, not the bigger rails that the SIP has that needs a lot of rear space. The SIP been a great saw, only the laser packed up, probably dead battery and corroded terminals, but never missed it.
Quite like this dewalt with shadow line, and I don't cut much big stuff either now. Only thing is cannot trench cut on dewalt as ican on the SIP but no loss to me really.

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/dewalt-dws774-216mm-xps-slide-mitre-saw

the dewalt saw that sachakins links above looks excellent for the money, pity in doesn't do the 300mm cut roadrunner was looking for

Strangely enough I use that DeWalt saw at work most days. It feels like a toy compared to my Bosch, but it cuts a perfect 90 and it's really lightweight and as a result a dream to move around. It's not smooth at all on the rails though and that really puts me off using it - perhaps it just needs some maintenance.

The main thing to look for is adjustment of the fence to get accuracy, also not tilting both ways can be a real pain, I had an early Makita and regret letting it go, also the Bosch gravity stand is very convenient in a workshop to get it out of the way of other work areas.

Another vote for the Metabo KGS 254. One of the best bits of kit I've ever bought or owned. I've made countless thousands of cuts with mine and it's still as good as new after 7 years use.
As mentioned earlier, it's only single tilt but that is not too difficult to overcome and the quality of finish of the cut is very good. Plenty of blade choice too as it takes the popular sized 254mm x 30mm blade. Metabo branded blades are also very reasonably priced too and retain their sharpness.

92mm DOC from a 10" blade is pretty good and at around £242 for the machine which is £7 cheaper than what I paid for it 7 years ago, very good value for money. The only downside is that it isn't soft start, other than that I can't fault it and would buy another without hesitation if this one was destroyed in a fire or stolen.

..after much researching I ended up with a Metabo KGS 254 (I am a casual user), been happy with it so far. It has a trench cut facility, but only "tilts" the one way...
The Metabo KGS-254 sounds good but I have a couple of questions -

What size is the base , as this will be mounted into my workbench recess?

I would like to have a look at the unit to check the sliding mechanism but I am not sure of any local stockists, I live in Wimborne Dorset?

Thanks

Have a look at the Erbauer mitre saw - it's a lovely piece of kit at an amazing price.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-...double-bevel-sliding-mitre-saw-220-240v/244fv
They have them on display in B&Q so you can see for yourself before buying - B&Q are often cheaper than Screwfix nowadays, so also check their price.
I like Erbauer brand but my local B and Q does not have any Erbauer mitre saws and I would like to check the sliding mechanism before I buy and check the overall size as it will sit into a recess in my workbench.

That was about my budget when I bought one 3 years ago and after a load of research I ended up with a Bosch gcm 8sjl
I'm very happy with it.
Thanks I will have a look online but would prefer a local stockist so I can have a proper review.

I'd expect a quality second hand saw that has been static in a workshop, and well maintained year after year, would be well worth your money.

If it's moved around from site to site, rattled around in a van, it could be less worthwhile
Agreed would happily buy secondhand but on EBay I have not seen any decent condition units at reasonable price.

The Metabo KGS-254 sounds good but I have a couple of questions -

What size is the base , as this will be mounted into my workbench recess?

I would like to have a look at the unit to check the sliding mechanism but I am not sure of any local stockists, I live in Wimborne Dorset?

Thanks
As an aside, think Metabo have a promotion on their M machines at the moment, two extra blades with any purchase.
tradecounterdirect seem to be cheapest at £229. FFX next at £245.

Last edited:
Back