Mitre saw - Rutland V Makita

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Jfw2708 you say the saw is unstable, in the photos there is a small foot/bolt at the front which should rest on the surface you are using to support the saw, is this in place and actually resting on something? It looks like you can push the saw back to the wall but need bench space in front to support it.

I'm surprised you aren't happy with the saw, on the Rutlands website it gets mainly five star reviews with lots of positive comments about it's accuracy and build quality..................
It’s fully on a bench when i use it, doesn’t stop it tilting. As you say I’m surprised given the number of 5* reviews…..maybe im just not using it properly.

I have the Makita LS1019 and do like it but don't like moving it around weighing in at 26.3KG to the Rutlands 13KG but I agree that the dust collection isn't great but I only use a Henry vac on it.

The Makita LS1019L is the saw that I had my sights on. I was waiting to hear the feedback on the Rutland's saw. I wont be buying that.
I have been trying to get some info on dimensions of the LS1019L from Makita, alas to no avail. The LxHxW is somewhat meaningless without context. I am planning on integrating the saw into my workbench setup. Some additional dimensions; height from base to platen, front to back when @90/45 etc. anything would help.
Jackie

It’s fully on a bench when i use it, doesn’t stop it tilting. As you say I’m surprised given the number of 5* reviews…..maybe im just not using it properly.
May have been a very small measure of sarcasm in @Doug71 's comment......... : )

Get the Makita if you can, you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
The Makita LS1019L is the saw that I had my sights on. I was waiting to hear the feedback on the Rutland's saw. I wont be buying that.
I have been trying to get some info on dimensions of the LS1019L from Makita, alas to no avail. The LxHxW is somewhat meaningless without context. I am planning on integrating the saw into my workbench setup. Some additional dimensions; height from base to platen, front to back when @90/45 etc. anything would help.
Jackie

I'll see if I can help once I'm finished the day job. Any other measurements you need?

I'll see if I can help once I'm finished the day job. Any other measurements you need?
Hi Noel,
Re dimensions, thank you. I have made a simple sketch of my modular work bench configuration. The most important dimension is the height from the 'base' of the saw to the top of the platen. I want to align this with the sides of the bench. My other benches are all at this height. I don't need the overall height of teh saw but any other dimensions that might indicate how the saw might fit in the space/or project out of the space would be helpful e.g. at 90 or full 45 mitre angle. Assume the back of the bench is against the wall.
Hope I am not asking too much.
Jackie

Attachments

• Mitre saw bench mock-up.pdf
    103.2 KB · Views: 0
Hi Noel,
Re dimensions, thank you. I have made a simple sketch of my modular work bench configuration. The most important dimension is the height from the 'base' of the saw to the top of the platen. I want to align this with the sides of the bench. My other benches are all at this height. I don't need the overall height of teh saw but any other dimensions that might indicate how the saw might fit in the space/or project out of the space would be helpful e.g. at 90 or full 45 mitre angle. Assume the back of the bench is against the wall.
Jackie
No problem, will get the info this evening.

Hi Noel,
Jackie

OK, all approximate:
Front to back @ 90° 805mm
Front to back @ 45° 660mm
Width 575mm (not including supports)
Bench to table 98.5mm

Bear in mind you may need up to 100mm of space at the back to accommodate vacuum hose/s depending how you arrange the two extraction points. I'd certainly recommend coming off a 100m duct.
Good idea would be to build your bench with some type of adjustment to raise/lower and/or level the saw.

Would be interested to know the modification you’ve made as I have one of these to be installed and I’d heard dust collection wasn’t the best !
Hi all,

I used 18mm MDF, connected to a 100mm dust extraction system utilizing both the box and the saws in line dust port. I removed all of the original dust "cuffs" around the back of the blade. The box has internal baffles to eliminate any corners where the dust might collect. I have one for straight cuts and another for 45 degree cuts. Any other cuts (very rare for me) I just clean up afterwards. Let's hope I have correctly added two photos. I put a brush seal along the top. There are also holes on the top of the box either side of the cut slot. This seemed to increase the overall suction of the extractor.

Attachments

• DSCN0517.JPG
    DSCN0517.JPG
    830.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0519.JPG
    DSCN0519.JPG
    831 KB · Views: 0
OK, all approximate:
Front to back @ 90° 805mm
Front to back @ 45° 660mm
Width 575mm (not including supports)
Bench to table 98.5mm

Bear in mind you may need up to 100mm of space at the back to accommodate vacuum hose/s depending how you arrange the two extraction points. I'd certainly recommend coming off a 100m duct.
Good idea would be to build your bench with some type of adjustment to raise/lower and/or level the saw.
Many thanks for the info and advice noted. Much appreciated.
Jackie

Latest posts

Back