Which would be the better mitre saw to buy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldste

Reaction score
So I’m looking at buying my first mitre saw, mores specifically a DeWalt one (only because I can swap batteries with my drill, circular saw and router). I‘m only just starting out with woodwork, mainly looking at trying to get used to what each tool can do. I plan to make simple dog houses that don’t require complex joints, just simple cuts with the saw. Possibly a bit of furniture once I‘ve got a little more experience. I‘ve found two saws but I‘m not to sure which would be the better option, the first is the 305mm Dewalt DHS780T2 and the other is the 250mm DeWalt DCS727T2.

I know 250mm blades are cheaper and easier to get compared to the 305mm which are more expensive and apparently a little harder to get (I’m quoting what I‘ve heard from people on that.) Which in your opinion would be the better option for a beginner? I looking at getting one that will last for a good while, I‘m not a professional builder or anything so it’s not like I’d be using it everyday, just a simple guy looking for a hobby and maybe try to earn a little bit of extra money. I‘ve included links to Dewalts website if that helps. Or if you can recommend one of the other Dewalt mitre’s that‘d be great, not really interested in buying another brand because as I said batteries fit my current tools. thanks in advance

54V XR FLEXVOLT 305MM MITRE SAW - 2 X 6AH | DEWALT
https://www.dewalt.co.uk/product/dcs727t2-gb/54v-xr-flexvolt-mitre-saw-2-x-6ah-250-mm

Hi
Perhaps I'm looking at the wrong product but wow not an everyday purchase cost-wise - not at all cheap and maybe a bit overkill for the tasks you have outlined, does it have to be battery powered? as if not there are some great 240v saws and you have a greater choice of makes to consider.

Hi,
Are you really sure your tools (drill, circular saw and router) support 54V?
If you buy one of these mitre saws, you'll have 2x6AH 54V batteries.
Are you really sure that batteries will be compatible with your current tools?

you can use those 54v flexvolt batteries on 18v Machines
https://www.dewalt.co.uk/systems/cordless-ranges/xr-flexvolt
But thats a lot of money to spend on a battery version just for the battery
the
DCS727T2-GB
is around £1K
as is the DHS780T2, although FFX has an offer to

did you want the portability of a battery version away from any electrical supply

I have the DCS778 - which has been great for all my DIY jobs - 250mm blade , when i purchased the unti was much cheaper then they are today
What i like when i get it out and put on stand i can have right up against the wall in a garage out of the way
But it is mains 240V operated

Bosch was on my shortlist - but i got the dewalt as FFX has an offer on both the saw and the stand

Hi,
Are you really sure your tools (drill, circular saw and router) support 54V?
If you buy one of these mitre saws, you'll have 2x6AH 54V batteries.
Are you really sure that batteries will be compatible with your current tools?
Yeh after reading each manual, they can take this sort of battery, it’s a flexvolt so it can run at 18v and 54v.

Hi
Perhaps I'm looking at the wrong product but wow not an everyday purchase cost-wise - not at all cheap and maybe a bit overkill for the tasks you have outlined, does it have to be battery powered? as if not there are some great 240v saws and you have a greater choice of makes to consider.
That’s what I’ve been thinking and while I’ve got a bit of money I’m 50/50 about getting one. Being pulled more towards mitre saws because the are a little more safer than the circular saw. Prefer battery is because I can keep it on a work bench in the shed in or on a stand if I get one and use it outside during the spring and summer months, and then place it in the garage for the autumn and winter months. Don’t have electricity in the shed so thats why I prefer the battery,

you can use those 54v flexvolt batteries on 18v Machines
https://www.dewalt.co.uk/systems/cordless-ranges/xr-flexvolt
But thats a lot of money to spend on a battery version just for the battery
the
DCS727T2-GB
is around £1K
as is the DHS780T2, although FFX has an offer to

did you want the portability of a battery version away from any electrical supply

I have the DCS778 - which has been great for all my DIY jobs - 250mm blade , when i purchased the unti was much cheaper then they are today
What i like when i get it out and put on stand i can have right up against the wall in a garage out of the way
But it is mains 240V operated

Bosch was on my shortlist - but i got the dewalt as FFX has an offer on both the saw and the stand
Portability yes, but also because it’s easier to store and use in my shed. With batteries I can either keep it on a work bench or on one of the stands during the spring and summer months, possibly use it outside and store it in the garage during the autumn and Winter months. There’s not enough room in the garage to work but just enough to store one, plus the shed doesn‘t have electricity in, definitely will look at bosh though

well, if you portability and using cordless , then at least the batteries maybe useful on your other tools
rather than another cordless systems - although my brother has 3 systems and seems to be OK, semi-pro and a lot of DIY

i guess all comes down to Max Cut required and Budget

the 250mm blade seems to have been ok on my 778 , not yet got to a point where i cannot cut something i needed to.

I also use a circular saw with a guide (have a few now) and can happily cutup 8x4 sheets of material
BUT - really should have got a tracksaw / plunge saw , but just lept putting it off !!!!!!

i do like the fact i can out up by a wall - I had it out on the drive last summer , up against the wall with a henry attached - worked well

i also like the shadow line light, so no laser to setup - works well

i tend to use saxton blades and found those to be good - cheaper then getting my freud blades resharpened

seem to have most of the sizes - 184,210,305

If I were in your position I'd get a Metabo 254mm. Will leave you with 7/800 quid to spend elsewhere.
Appreciate your reasoning with batteries etc but with a Mitre Saw and extension lead (where needed) isn't a big deal.

Last edited:
I have a 240v dewalt dw708. It has a 305mm blade. Getting blades is no problem. I have had it for over 10 years. My brother has 54v dewalt tools. The batteries have a tendency to fail, particularly if used infrequently. If you are only using it at home and not frequently I would stick to mains power. Cheaper to buy and you won't have to worry about the batteries as they are over £100 each to replace. I just bought a festool tracksaw and went for the mains version for the same reason. I have plenty of battery tools but the batteries are getting used and recharged regularly

I know you've mentioned and discounted a circular saw, however for the use you've mentioned that seems to be the tool for the job to me, you can get a brushless 18v dewalt for well under £200, another £50 for a good blade, which will work with your batteries, mobile, minimal setup time.

Obviously its not a 'safe' tool, but you know that when you use it and you take precautions accordingly. clamp well, keep both hands on the tool, set the depth of the blade, be aware of wood binding and kickback.

I think you'll end up buying one anyway before long, especially if you want to work on sheet goods of any description, rip down the length of wood.

agree - the mitre saw may not be what you are looking for - they are often called chop saws because that is their action - they chop across a piece of wood - they will not run down a long line - so if you want to cut longer sections then you need a saw not confined to its stand... Agree that circular saws can be dangerous - the alternative is a track saw or plunge saw where you only have the blade outside the body when cutting and a track holds it in place - you may be able to buy a good mitre saw and a track saw (mains plugs) for the price of the battery option...

I plan to make simple dog houses that don’t require complex joints, just simple cuts with the saw.

Essentially small sheds, most people who supply sheds will produce in a workshop and bring to location for assembly and with small dog houses you may even be able to deliver ready assembled so why the cordless mitre saw ? It is to easy to get hung up on going cordless and you have so many more choices if corded.

I know 250mm blades are cheaper and easier to get compared to the 305mm which are more expensive and apparently a little harder to get

They are a bit cheaper but the 305mm blades are not hard to find, Saw Blades - Saw Blades for Cutting Wood - Walker Professional Tools

The larger blade will cut anything the smaller blade can but not the opposite.

That Bosch that @MikeJhn has highlighted is a great saw, comes with a laser line but there are aftermarket shadow lines that people seem to prefer. It is the saw I will go for when I replace my existing Bosch 12 inch saw.

I know that you've mentioned about wanting cordless due to needing an extension lead, but I'd like to throw another mitre saw into the mix - The Evolution sliding mitre saws.

The accuracy is "fine" (Nothing special) and the depth stop is beyond useless, but they have some advantages which I think you'd benefit from:
  • They are cheap, with your budget you'd be able to get a nice stand for it and a corded track saw
  • They do the job just fine, still give a better cut quality than other types of saw
  • They have universal blades and can cut thick steel - Very useful for cutting down shelf rails and the like which is extremely useful for home use
  • They have a decent cut capacity
  • Note that the motor is large and can get in the way if you need to hold anything on the waste (Right) side, but they do a larger saw with the motor at the back - I'd personally go with that

I'd also suggest looking at the M1 Caliber by REEKON Tools - It's a measurement device which clips onto the fence (I had to install the optional tall wooden fence on mine but I'm not sure if that's required for the newer saws) which allows you to accurately make cuts without measuring or marking. It has a couple of limitations:
  • It cannot cut short lengths, essentially anything less than the distance between the measurer and the saw blade - So a tape measure and pencil is still required
  • It can get in the way for angled cuts, but is easily removed (The fence also gets in the way of bevelled cuts)

You could get mains power into shed you either run a extension cable but do make sure fully unwound! (maybe chop down to size even or buy a reel of cable then wire plugs on each end?
Or get one routed in by someone sparky if can't do yourself? that way you have power for lights and other things! plus alarms! oh plus kettle/beer fridge.

As been said those big batteries need exercising just like a pooch!.

Plunge/rail saw kit could be better? you only plunge in as far as you set blade rest of time it's up out of way and with guide you run along it and work piece.
Other is like the dewalt saw in sale section where motor/blade is above and you adjust height/depth with mech plus cuts angles

I know that you've mentioned about wanting cordless due to needing an extension lead, but I'd like to throw another mitre saw into the mix - The Evolution sliding mitre saws.

The accuracy is "fine" (Nothing special) and the depth stop is beyond useless, but they have some advantages which I think you'd benefit from:
  • They are cheap, with your budget you'd be able to get a nice stand for it and a corded track saw
  • They do the job just fine, still give a better cut quality than other types of saw
  • They have universal blades and can cut thick steel - Very useful for cutting down shelf rails and the like which is extremely useful for home use
  • They have a decent cut capacity
  • Note that the motor is large and can get in the way if you need to hold anything on the waste (Right) side, but they do a larger saw with the motor at the back - I'd personally go with that
I have to respectfully disagree. I have an evolution mitre saw, and an evolution circular saw, they aren't aweful for the money, but IMO they aren't that great, I don't find the mitre saw accurate enough for anything more than rough work. The normal advice is to buy a better blade on any budget saw, but because they are designed to cut anything, they spin slower than standard saws and so you will never get the best cut. These are things I wish I'd realised before I bought mine

I would not get a battery powered one, you will need to attach it to a vacuum anyway to get any kind of dust collection. For that money you could get a vacuum a mitre saw and a nice fat extension lead.
Also it is not the best designed mitre saw because of its old style rail setup. I would look at a 305mm saw with forward set rail bearings or that bosch axial glide.

Ollie

Last edited:
Back