Getting a Multitool - stick with DeWalt? Or get Milwaukee and a battery adapter?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a lidl one a few years ago, didn't clamp the blade properly, useless, went back on the same day. Now have a dewalt one that I'm happy enough with, and was given a cheap corded aldi one, workzone, not ferrex, which is actually pretty good, annoyingly doesn't take the same blades, life too short, and my fingers too fat for adaptors

I didn't particularly want a multitool but needed one for a particular job last year. I bought an Erbauer 240v one from 'Buy a Parcel', (if I remember correctly) for £38, roughly half the Screwfix price. Apparently it was a mail order return but clearly hadn't been used, but did have a test sticker, so must have been opened. I've now used it a lot more than I thought I would and will be using it again next week.
I made the decision to only have cordless tools, other than drills and impact drivers, where I'm likely to be out of the workshop, as mains tools tend to be less expensive, more powerful, lighter and compact.

If you use dewalt batteries on a Milwaukee with an adapter then you’ll need to keep an eye on how much charge you have left in the battery. As I understand it using batteries on other brands tools allows the battery to empty completely, which basically breaks the battery. A dewalt tool won’t allow that with a dewalt battery,

…Or so I’m lead to believe from the manufacturers, happy to be corrected if anyone with electrical knowledge comes along.

That in mind I would just go with the dewalt. A guybrater is a guybrater. It vibrates whilst holding cutting blades or sandpaper, how much better can the Milwaukee really be?

As an aside I thought the dewalt was one of the better ones anyway?
I have a DW cordless which I get on with fine, even with carpal tunnel I don't find the vibes too high, which I have with some sanders in the past.

I have a DW cordless which I get on with fine, even with carpal tunnel I don't find the vibes too high, which I have with some sanders in the past.

That's good to hear. I think I had a dose of carpal tunnel last month after some rather heavy work and long days outside. So I'm trying to be more careful now....

That's good to hear. I think I had a dose of carpal tunnel last month after some rather heavy work and long days outside. So I'm trying to be more careful now....
I think my CTS was due to using air tools, mainly chisels & impact guns, in the motor trade.

BTW Saxon blades seem to be good value, what do others think?
they are all i use now , only a DIYer , but i found the saw blades give as good a finish as my freud blades - used in circular saw 165 and also SMS 250mm
I now only use there Multitool blades - other brands just dont seem to work as well or last as long and tried many brands
free delivery over £10 spend, i have paid for the next delivery for items i needed quickly for a job, and DPD are great and arrive on time, had a lot of issues if they use royal mail - as we only seem to get parcels once a week, and a problem for most companies - Amazon, etc

Fein cordless is the way to go, I've had iterations of this tool for 30 years, the first still works but the blade is clamped through a round hole with an Alan bolt so can rotate.
The latest one (we've got 3) has a great lever quick release system which grabs the cutter

Back