18v tool brand choice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dont wear any logo cloths - i agree
logo on should be FREE (IMHO) as it's advertising for them!
And i also say the same about the shopping bags ........

One exception, I like the ISOCOOL from mountain warehouse and then have a small logo on... But I prefer the material and keeps me very cool, and used under a breathable waterproof raincoat, i dont get wet from sweat

dont get mixed up with brushless and XR - I thought the XR range of dewalt tools also meant the motor was brushless
however, my circular saw
DCS391N-XJ
https://www.dewalt.co.uk/product/dcs391n-xj/18v-xr-165mm-circular-saw-bare-unitis an 18V XR model - but its NOT Brushless
XR is the battery style (slideon) as opposed to the older XRP (plugin) battery style...
(even more confusing- the XR comes labelled as both 20v and 18v (it is identical in both battery styles 'nominal 18v' with the same number of cells in the lithium versions) and you can get 'brushless' in both styles...)

XR (marked as both 18v and 20v, newer style tools, lithiums only)
1695116608034.png

XRP (usually marked as 18v, plug-in, older style, available in Lithium, NiMH and even old Nicads (not interchangeable on the chargers,the tools use any, but each type has a different charger)

Lithium (note the ridges on the top, only fits lithium charger)
1695116917213.png

Older NIMH (although be careful, many aftermarket ones look like the NiMH, but are packed with lithiums!!!) Note no 'vertical ridges' at the top... Don't use the aftermarket on the NiMH charger- it will fit, but your battery pack won't last long...
1695116998769.png

18v Nicad (again, watch out for aftermarket ones that look like nicads, but are lithiums internally- these CAN'T be charged on the old Nicad charger!!!

1695117600123.png

Chargers are getting even more confusing, with some of the newer ones capable of charging any chemistry, but the older ones 'have' to be matched with their appropriate batteries....
(its a bit of a mess chargerwise, as DeWalt have been using the XRP style for decades, having gone through three major chemistry changes in battery packs (nicad, then NiMH, now lithiums- each with their own charging requirements... only recently have the new 'intelligent' chargers had the ability to adapt to whatever you plugged in- then they went and changed to the 'slideon' form factor- a move that lost them a lot of their trade customers, so much so they brought back the XRP for the 'tradies tools' and the XR is basically aimed at the home handyman level...

Hi all,

I'd like an impact driver and combi drill.
I currently have a Bosch professional 18v combi drill. Bought about 6 or 7 years ago with 2x2Ah batteries. However I've noticed how expensive additional bare bones tools cost compared to say Dewalt branded tools.

I guess the main question is, should I buy a Bosch impact driver, a couple extra larger capacity (4 or 5Ah) batteries and stick with Bosch. Or take the opportunity to change brands and start over with a cheaper eco system going forward?

If I did change brands what would you all recommend?

For some context, I'm a diyer, but have been renovating a house and have plenty more to do.

Cheers!
Years of buying Makita then I swapped to Stanley fatmax. Cracking piece of kit, good deals at B&Q and Homebase, bought two combi sets

Stanley and DeWalt are both owned by the same mother company so it's not unreasonable to assume that the technology is somewhat shared.

Stanley and DeWalt are both owned by the same mother company so it's not unreasonable to assume that the technology is somewhat shared.
I have three of each ( DeWalt at work) and I cannot tell them apart except 2x my Stanleys has metal chuck and gearbox.
Also the Stanley have a useful magnetic bit holder.

For what it's worth. Chucks are purchased sub assemblies that are just mounted to the tools. So these would be cost and quality driven, rather than brand driven. A lot of the Stanley tools when Stanley bought B&D were re-skins of B&D products.

Looking at Milwaukee, are the fuel range worth the premium for heavy DIY use?

Rightly or wrongly I went for DeWalt....they come up on sale far more often so I'll likely to be more tempted to expand the collection.

Went for a DeWalt 887 impact driver, with 2x5ah batteries (will pick up a 2 or 3ah at some stage for when I want it to be light), charger and case for £148 on eBay. Also decided to buy a new combi drill to go with it, a DeWalt 996 bare unit for £90 or so, seems their heavy duty model from a few years back.

Both should get me going, impact driver has already arrived and is rather nice indeed.

Thanks for everybody's input, it was all very helpful, cheers

i have been a lot of DIY last few weeks, and the 3 positions switch on the impact driver I use all time various settings - even today replacing some floresent lights and Junction boxes - setting 1 was enough to get everything tight

I lmost purchased a 996 before covid at the FFX show - found it very heavy , i think it was up for £120 at the show , and in the end i didnt go for it, as i already have there cheap combi drill , and so i got an SDS instead , with a normal and a SDS chuck - ALL Dewalt
as a DIYer happy with the quality , kit all used a lot

I do find the 2ah and 3ah batteries nice on the drill & driver

5ah will be useful if you expand , as i have done - now have grinder, planer, Circ saw, rightangle drill , jig saw, multitool, drill and driver

i have been a lot of DIY last few weeks, and the 3 positions switch on the impact driver I use all time various settings - even today replacing some floresent lights and Junction boxes - setting 1 was enough to get everything tight

I lmost purchased a 996 before covid at the FFX show - found it very heavy , i think it was up for £120 at the show , and in the end i didnt go for it, as i already have there cheap combi drill , and so i got an SDS instead , with a normal and a SDS chuck - ALL Dewalt
as a DIYer happy with the quality , kit all used a lot

I do find the 2ah and 3ah batteries nice on the drill & driver

5ah will be useful if you expand , as i have done - now have grinder, planer, Circ saw, rightangle drill , jig saw, multitool, drill and driver
5ah needed for heavy duty applications for some reason they give bigger amps not just run time.... I guess the cells are bigger and therefore have a faster discharge rate this giving you higher amps??

I didn't quite realise how heavy the 996 was until after I hit the order button. 2.1kg bare.... I was on the fence about cancelling, but figured I'd wait for it to arrive first and make my mind up then. I already have a Bosch pro combi which I'm upgrading from. 1.35kg bare, so I have a light (ish) unit already. This 996 will probably be around double the torque.

SDS is another option l guess, if you're going heavy you may as well back it up with some actual power!

I know the fuel gen 3 and gen 4 are more powerful, but no figures I've seen are close to 1kg?
I did look at a pair of the gen 4 fuel (2x5ah etc) for £325, and the previous gen 3 impact driver and combi drill combos, worked out an extra £50 or so to go Milwaukee for similar items.

Rightly or wrongly I went for DeWalt....they come up on sale far more often so I'll likely to be more tempted to expand the collection.

Went for a DeWalt 887 impact driver, with 2x5ah batteries (will pick up a 2 or 3ah at some stage for when I want it to be light), charger and case for £148 on eBay. Also decided to buy a new combi drill to go with it, a DeWalt 996 bare unit for £90 or so, seems their heavy duty model from a few years back.

Both should get me going, impact driver has already arrived and is rather nice indeed.

Thanks for everybody's input, it was all very helpful, cheers
Having plumpted for dewalt I'd be tempted to consider adding in a multitool, currently £80 bare unit from toolstation, in their black friday deals, a great tool, if a bit noisey

I’ve had dewalt, and ryobi at the time I had dewalt the batteries failed and the replacement cost was just too much to pay , the ryobi was ok cheaper batteries but I found the tools themselves not strong enough for heavy duty use. Milwaukee however are work horses and although the batteries are similar cost to dewalt they seem to last longer. I buy the special offers that give you the charger and a tool + battery etc so I have 5 or 6 batteries 3/4 chargers and any further tools are purchased bare ..
I was in same boat until I discovered this. A useful tool. Badaptor - DeWalt to Ryobi 18V Battery Adapter | DIY at B&Q

+1 for the multitool, @ that price , use mine a lot
i have found saxtobblades to be good value , tried a few different blades and a lot are useless , dont cut, blunt after a few strokes. But been fine with saxtonblades - purchased the kit and then a few individual blades later

Good idea, I've only a cheap Aldi multi tool, wired, use it regularly. Can see the 355 for just under £80 on eBay Toolstation and the 356 can be had for £105.
Much diff between them? Just the vibration and 3 stage switch?

Back