aftermarket replacement drill driver batteries

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgrbff

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend has several 18V li ion Dewalt drill drivers but Dewalt no longer makes batteries for them.
Can anyone suggest a good aftermarket supplier?
I also have an old bosch Nihm that I would like to find batteries for

I have got replacement batteries on Ebay a few times. You can find batteries for just about anything. Do a search for the model you require. They will have the model numbers that the battery will be compatible with. Read all the blurb to be sure it matches the tool and your charger. You can also find deals with a pair of batteries and a charger. I did this for Triton drill and driver set and they threw in a nice work light.
Regards
John

I have got replacement batteries on Ebay a few times. You can find batteries for just about anything. Do a search for the model you require. They will have the model numbers that the battery will be compatible with. Read all the blurb to be sure it matches the tool and your charger. You can also find deals with a pair of batteries and a charger. I did this for Triton drill and driver set and they threw in a nice work light.
Regards
John
I can find many replacements but I was hoping for recommendations. There is a vast range of quality Li-ion cells out there.

Go by the sellers positive feedback score and also pick a seller shipping from your country. You have the protection of paypal and ebay if things dont go well.
Regards
John

If you really want to use genuine DeWalt batteries you can buy adapters to allow you to use the latest type on the old tools. I've got several and they work well.

Hasn’t there been some concerns with ‘cheap’ replacements not being up to spec ? I recall some stories of poor quality batteries combusting. I’ve been looking on Amazon for Ryobi replacements, they all look to be branded by the Ryobi, however range of the prices gives me concern that maybe cheaper ones are not genuine. How can you tell? Are we right to be concerned?

I have had a couple of 3rd party battery's from ebay (different makes) but found they only seem to last around 6-9 months and then go off quick or refuse to charge by which time you have no chance with the seller. My son recently bought two 3rd party Makita battery's from Amazon and within a month had to return one for a refund. I think the Chinese are smarter than us because we keep buying their rubbish.

Maybe I've been lucky but I've not had a problem with any of the DeWalt or Ryobi "copy" batteries that I've bought over the last few years.
I always check the reviews (and use a website that is supposed to check the veracity of the reviews). The only issue I've found is that some of the copies do not retain a full charge for as long after a few years, but as most of my use is at home it's no big deal.

A friend has several 18V li ion Dewalt drill drivers but Dewalt no longer makes batteries for them.
Can anyone suggest a good aftermarket supplier?
I also have an old bosch Nihm that I would like to find batteries for
Have you considered adapters that convert one make to another? I have a Ryobi glue gun and bought a Dewalt adapter for it as I use Dewalt power tools. It works very well and saves me investing in another set of batteries and charger.

Buy a new complete tool in the sales it will be much better,lighter, more powerful and longer running than your old tools. I have tried a DeWalt battery adapter but in reality it only worked on low power tools and could not run a saw or SDS. I also wasted some money on new Chinese batteries with shortlived success.

I've bought a couple of Dewalt "compatible " batteries of Ebay for a circular saw and I couldn't complete one rip of an 8' x 3/4 sheet of plywood before losing power..

the only way I've found to really know is to load test a battery on a small balance charger/rc charger/discharger... then you get an actual measure of the battery in terms of capacity

I have two Makita cordless drills an old 7.2 v and a slightly newer 12 volt with a "keyless chuck". The original batteries ran out and I replaced the 12 Volt ones with a make called FLOUREON and the 7.2v ones with a make called CREABEST both are just as good as the originals were. I think I paid £28 for both the 12 Volt but about £12 each for the 7.2. I would have to throw the drills away If I couldn't get aftermarket replacements and thats a sin as both drills work just as well now as when they were new. Both makes had batteries for most drills.

I bought two Makita batteries off Amazon and one was a dud. Got on to Amazon returns but they clearly say ' do not return batteries ! ' The chatline told me that as a 'special favour' they would replace one battery for free. It seems to be a lottery - out of four batteries I bought only one was a dud.

the issue I found was sure you can get a cheap battery that fits but if you do a LOAD TEST the capacity is not likely to be anywhere near the advertised rating...
so if its advertised as 6 ah and it load tests at 2 ah then its not as cheap as it originally may seem per ah price.

Latest posts

Back