18v tool brand choice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not given them a thorough workout yet my makitas had been used daily on site for 3 years and were ready for replacing ,also wanted to give brushless a try

Powerstack batteries are actually smaller and lighter, I’ve found them superb on drills

I don't use impact drivers, too noisy and can't use them where I work.

Plus I don't see the need for the impact stuff as I know how to drive a 6" screw with a normal driver.

60 minutes to charge a 1.7Ah high drain battery (which looks enormous btw) !
That's at least part of where they are cutting costs to be able to offer the deal.
that does sound lengthy for a small battery to charge, not an issue I was aware of.

I personally have no powerstack batteries, I had assumed by now they would be a bit more affordable, from the adverts (admitedly not the most reliable source always) they seems to offer more power and longevity for weight and size.

I still think a 90nm drill and three midsize batteries (taking account of the extra performance of the powerstack) for £230 seems pretty good

Some 25 years I was in NZ with my sister and b.i.l. and he told me he got his batteries re celled rather than buying new batteries. (I hadn't heard of its being done here at that time). The firm he used told him that 95% of the batteries they opened up had either Sony or Panasonics in them.
Apparently the batteries are checked for output at manufacture and balanced sets used for Panasonic, Festool etc. the high end manufacturers, and the lower quality one for tools further down the scale. The balanced output affects the life expectancy from what I've read.
Someone made a valid point some while ago - a battery fails when the weakest cell fail, so it makes sense to buy the the tool with the voltage you need - if 12v suits your needs there are fewer cells to go wrong.

I spoke to a chap who works for an independent builder's merchant - he said you wouldn't believe the number of people who criticise the performance of power tools while using the cheapest bits and blades they can get their ha lways been the main cause of 12v car batteries

Some 25 years I was in NZ with my sister and b.i.l. and he told me he got his batteries re celled rather than buying new batteries. (I hadn't heard of its being done here at that time). The firm he used told him that 95% of the batteries they opened up had either Sony or Panasonics in them.
Apparently the batteries are checked for output at manufacture and balanced sets used for Panasonic, Festool etc. the high end manufacturers, and the lower quality one for tools further down the scale. The balanced output affects the life expectancy from what I've read.
Someone made a valid point some while ago - a battery fails when the weakest cell fail, so it makes sense to buy the the tool with the voltage you need - if 12v suits your needs there are fewer cells to go wrong.

I spoke to a chap who works for an independent builder's merchant - he said you wouldn't believe the number of people who criticise the performance of power tools while using the cheapest bits and blades they can get their hands on.
The weakest cell failing has always been the main cause of car batteries failing, by dragging down the others. (Or so I'm led to believe)

Sorry for slight thread drift but this used to be a reason for some people to buy Makita.

Does anyone else remember back in the day when you bought a Makita power tool there was always a free cap in the box (talking probably 40+ years ago), they were kind of like a cycling cap, I hated the things and they went straight in the bin.

Wish I'd saved them now :rolleyes:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/854...3rI2ebc-ZKcB9zRTp7h41TPCqrhBSk4xoCyDgQAvD_BwE
How many realise they're paying to advertise Makita! All clothing with the manufacturers' logo on should be FREE (IMHO) as it's advertising for them! :unsure:

I don't use impact drivers, too noisy and can't use them where I work.

Plus I don't see the need for the impact stuff as I know how to drive a 6" screw with a normal driver.
On the noise front: Makita do a series of "oil pulse" impact drivers, designed to be nearly silent. Not as cheap as a normal impact driver, but probably very helpful if doing a lot of 6" screws.

How many realise they're paying to advertise Makita! All clothing with the manufacturers' logo on should be FREE (IMHO) as it's advertising for them!

^^^^^
This is exactly the reason I refuse to buy anything from the 'Superdry' shops - all of the clothing has the name of the shop on!

Back