Axminster HBS350N / RECORD POWER BS350 Bandsaw Advice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris152":16yihz4q said:
And my next question is!
Would a 3/4" - SuperTuff Premium blade work on the Record BS350, or will it be a struggle with tension, and I should stick to 1/2 or 5/8"? I'm only doing straight cuts. I thought 6tpi because it seems to have broad-ish use in terms of wood thickness.
Thanks.

Talk to Ian at Tuffsaw he will be able to guide you correctly.

Mike

transatlantic":3de5ofg6 said:
Another idea to try for increasing the efficiency on the lower housing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLuRgku_F0w

Good grief, when was the last time that chap opened his bandsaw housing, never seen a bandsaw that choked before, I hoover mine out every time I use it, just to get rid of the dust that sticks to the wheels and case through static.

Mike

Mike - I'll give Ian a call, thanks.

Transatlantic - As a newcomer to bandsaws I'm amazed at how rudimentary dust collection is - you've got to imagine that whichever company starts manufacturing their saw with adequate dust extraction will clean up. ha. The next video in the flow was this one, which shows how effective extraction in the lower wheel housing can be at reducing dust on and around the table:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsWX4cciKa8

MikeJhn":37nhx5iu said:
transatlantic":37nhx5iu said:
Another idea to try for increasing the efficiency on the lower housing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLuRgku_F0w

Good grief, when was the last time that chap opened his bandsaw housing, never seen a bandsaw that choked before, I hoover mine out every time I use it, just to get rid of the dust that sticks to the wheels and case through static.

Mike

Pretty sure he said that was all from only a few cuts. As it's wet wood, its very stringy, so builds up quicker.

Even on woodturning I would think you would want all the cracks and shakes to have appeared already through seasoning and then choose the best bit to cut?

Mike

The few people I know who make wooden bowls do the basic shaping while the wood is fresh and then let the pieces season for months (or years) before the final turning and shaping.

Lots of people turn wood wet. A Google search will reveal much info on the subject.

Sounds like a lack of seasoned wood available or impatience to me, but then:

IMGP6952.jpg

I'd much rather be fishing than turning. :wink:

Mike

Attachments

• IMGP6952.jpg
    IMGP6952.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 933
MikeJhn":vyuuskew said:
Sounds like a lack of seasoned wood available or impatience to me

I think you should do a bit of research before coming out with statements like that.

MikeJhn":16zc7rjw said:
Why Oh Why would you cut wet wood???????????

Mike

I very rarely cut dry wood. Most of it is wet, 150 to 300mm thick for woodturning.
As far as I am aware this is fairly normal for us woodturners. :)

EDIT: I think maybe this thread's done its job, and this new post is specific to the Record BS350, not the Axminster in the thread title, so I'll start a new thread instead. Thank you everyone who helped with the decision and setup!

Hi All. Very happy with the saw! I just fitted a 1/2 inch blade which seems to be fine, but there seems to be some guess work to do on the settings of the lower guides. I can't see the side-to-side bearings because of a bit of plastic Record have put around them, I guess to keep dust off? Anyway, given that I have to feel the distance from the blade rather than see it, am I better off removing the plastic housing thing? It's the black triangle in this picture:

IMG_1100.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1100.jpg
    IMG_1100.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 861
EDIT - please ignore this post, the blade wasn't fully on the bottom wheel so it couldn't produce the tension needed. Apologies...
But I may be back soon for advice on vibration on the saw table! Thanks.

Oh dear!

The table on the bandsaw had a little vibration so I decided to release the blade tension and check the position of the blade on the top wheel. I've got in a terrible muddle - the quick release tensioner can now turn 360 degrees and when I put it in the correct position, the tension meter registers 1/2" blade, but it's nothing like that as it's loose and the top wheel is wobbling about in my hand!

It's a Record Power BS 350. Any thoughts much appreciated!

Chris

Ok, it's still vibrating - not terribly, but enough to make cuts feel less stable. The strange thing is it comes and goes - it just started today, and I can start it sometimes and it is fine, and then it'll start to vibrate (wobble slightly) for a few more startups. I tried moving it a little and thought that had sorted it, but after a few starts it started wobbling again!

It's not a terrible wobble - sometimes it passes what some call the 'nickel test' and is completely stable; others, the penny falls over and I can clearly feel the movement.

Any suggestions?

All I can suggest is to check the tightness of all the bolts on the machine, especially the motor, do the blade wheels have balance weights or are they drilled, if weights look for evidence on one falling off, i.e. sticky where it was (dust stuck to it) fit of the doors, main wheel bearings, do you get any sideways rocking if you try to move them side to side, they should be solid, loose guide bearings etc:

Hope you find the problem, good luck.

Mike

Thank you Mike.

I've tried the bolts I can access and all now seem fine (the one holding the lower wheel was loose but sadly that made no difference! I've now also changed the blade, same problem. The top wheel is balanced properly, in that it doesn't return to the same position when spun with no blade. In order to check the lower wheel, do I need to remove the drive belt? (It won't spin freely as it's connected to the motor.)

I can't see any weights or drilling on the wheels - should there be one or the other? And no sticky bits etc...

Thanks

Chris

Chris

Sorry I have not come back to you sooner, but I did not get a notification of a further post.

Reading your previous post's have you solved the blade tension problem? without the blade correctly tensioned you will get all sort of funny things happening.

Yes take the belt off and check the balance of the lower wheel, also check the four bolts on the outside of the casing at the back of the lower wheel.

Let us know how you get on.

Mike

Thanks Mike - and apologies for the delay, busy week in work. I've adjusted blade tension, 4 x bolts fine, but still wobbling! I started a separate thread on this matter and had some more suggestions, the only one I think is remaining is still about blade tension and the possibility of flutter on the rising blade - I need to get on and see if I can actually see what's happening there next! Really appreciate your help. C

Back