Axminster HBS350N / RECORD POWER BS350 Bandsaw Advice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always find its the dust above the table that is the problem, not the dust inside the cabinet, easily dealt with.

TA I lost the will to live watching that video, so American take 12mins to explain something that could be explained in 3.

Mike

MikeJhn":2iicdpem said:
I always find its the dust above the table that is the problem, not the dust inside the cabinet, easily dealt with.

TA I lost the will to live watching that video, so American take 12mins to explain something that could be explained in 3.

Mike

Isn't the dust above the table mostly that of the dust that isn't collected under the table (directly after the cut from the gullets) and has come back around?

Would the dust make it that far, especially with the two brushes on the blade/wheels, it always looks to me as though it is coming off the side of the blade from the piece being cut, perhaps another slow motion/high speed film needed.

Mike

Thanks all. The arrangement in that video seems to work really well, though on my saw there just isn't that kind of space under the table - there's the guide apparatus and then the blade disappears into the wheel housing. I might just try attaching the hoover tube as close as I can, directly in front of the blade, and see what it draws in/ how much dust gets away. The saw's in my garage so with the big door and widow open there's also plenty of air circulation. Then, as suggested, clean up the lower wheel housing etc after each use.

Does that mean you have one extractor which effectively connects to two pipes, Mike?

MikeJhn":29npjl3l said:

Ouchy! To be more accurate, so North American. Rob is from Canada.

I tried watching one of his videos about correcting a drawer side, but he and his partner were so disorganized that I couldn't watch more than a few minutes. I might have missed some excellent tips, but the delivery was poor.

Chris152":30bmclyq said:
Does that mean you have one extractor which effectively connects to two pipes, Mike?

Yes, but its a HVLP unit not a LVHP shop vac, like the Record DX1000 unit you mention earlier.

DX1000 = 53lts/sec which converts to 190.8M3/Hr the unit I use has 2000M3/hr.
Mike

MikeK":2lui4ur4 said:
MikeJhn":2lui4ur4 said:

Ouchy! To be more accurate, so North American. Rob is from Canada.

I tried watching one of his videos about correcting a drawer side, but he and his partner were so disorganized that I couldn't watch more than a few minutes. I might have missed some excellent tips, but the delivery was poor.

American or Canadian, does it matter none of those that appear with regular video's are indigenous. (hammer)

Mike

2000M3/hr sounds expensive! Given limitation of budget, I guess a low volume but fast extraction pointed right at the source of the dust is the best option to try.

I'm sure it's a question of margins, and guess there's little chance of collecting all the dust in a home workshop without massive investment.
Looking at my bandsaw, I can't see how that dust extraction port by the lower wheel housing could go far in getting rid of the tiny dust particles that enter the air when sawing and cause us harm. I suppose it's really just there to keep the blade turning properly? I'm really interested in the question you (MikeJhn) raised about where those small dust particles go as we cut and the possibility of filming this. And it seems pretty much common sense that grabbing the dust as soon as, and right where, it's created would do away with the need for more 'general' dust extraction. But common sense can be misleading...

Chris152":3g5yg8li said:
And it seems pretty much common sense that grabbing the dust as soon as, and right where, it's created would do away with the need for more 'general' dust extraction. But common sense can be misleading...

Whilst that might make sense, it's a compromise between good dust extraction and it not getting in the bloody way! :p

To me, the extraction method in that video makes perfect sense. It's right up close to the cut and doesn't get in the way at all. As for catching the small particles, he mentions in the video that before he could smell the cuts being made from across the shop and now he can't, so thats a pretty good sign.

So if you were to set something up with both methods, you can't go wrong. As you say though, his machine has more space under the table than the Record, but whatever you end up with has to be better than nothing.

I can't see how that dust extraction port by the lower wheel housing could go far in getting rid of the tiny dust particles that enter the air when sawing and cause us harm. I suppose it's really just there to keep the blade turning properly?

Up until recently, dust collection has clearly always been an after thought for most manufacturers. It's a H&S checkbox they have to tick to show they have attempted at least something. Doesn't matter if it's bloody useless, they can tick their box. With the introduction of Festool like manufactures using dust collection as a marketing point though, that is slowly changing. So it's not surprising that these designs, which have been the same for a LONG LONG time aren't really any good.

I found the video interesting because of the amount of dust on the bandsaw table, didn't seem as though it was taking anything away from that area, with the combined extraction above and the standard extract port below, I have far less dust on my table top than shown in that video, that and observation is what has lead me to believe that the dust on the top of the table comes from either side of the blade when cutting, probably due to the set in the blade as opposed to a table saw which with tungsten teeth all seem to be straight now days, or very little set if any.

Mike

MikeJhn":3bm4u1j5 said:
I found the video interesting because of the amount of dust on the bandsaw table, didn't seem as though it was taking anything away from that area, with the combined extraction above and the standard extract port below, I have far less dust on my table top than shown in that video, that and observation is what has lead me to believe that the dust on the top of the table comes from either side of the blade when cutting, probably due to the set in the blade as opposed to a table saw which with tungsten teeth all seem to be straight now days, or very little set if any.

Mike

Can we see picture of yours? does it get in the way?

TA I don't have access to my workshop at the moment its 600miles away, I have the small dia pipe mounted on the rise and fall for the blade on the non fence side and it gets in the way only infrequently, but clips on and off so easily repositioned when it does.

Mike

Thanks Mike - I tried that method today (after I built a dust collector to use with my vacuum cleaner) and a lazy version of the method used in the video, collecting underneath (lazy because I just placed the mouth of the pipe up to the cutting area). I found:

With the mouth of the vacuum cleaner pipe beneath the table, very little dust in the lower wheel housing; a smallish amount in the dust collector; and quite a bit on the table top;

With the mouth of the vacuum cleaner pipe above the table and connected to the blade height adjuster, more dust in the lower wheel housing; a larger amount in the dust collector; and very little on the table.

Also, with the pipe above the table it felt more comfortable as less dust seemed to be reaching my nose!

Not very scientific but it suggests the way to avoid dangerous dust particles entering my lungs is to collect the dust along the lines of what you describe, Mike. And to be honest, with a little effort it would be easy to arrange the pipe so it doesn't get in the way at all. And best of course would be to collect both above and below the table.

"Necessity is the mother of invention" until you actually experiment and do these things yourself its an unknown quantity, different peoples perception of how things work/happen can be a long way from what is occurring, hence my observations that I believed the dust on the top of the table comes off the side of the blade probably due to the set in it, I will at some time take a high speed film of the blade cutting something to prove/disprove my theory, but meanwhile I will keep the two extract system and enjoy a very dust free environment.

Mike

Thanks Mike - I look forward to seeing the film!

And my next question is!
Would a 3/4" - SuperTuff Premium blade work on the Record BS350, or will it be a struggle with tension, and I should stick to 1/2 or 5/8"? I'm only doing straight cuts. I thought 6tpi because it seems to have broad-ish use in terms of wood thickness.
Thanks.

Back