Axminster HBS350N / RECORD POWER BS350 Bandsaw Advice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris152

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All - New to the site and to working with wood, and this looks like a good place to learn.

I've decided to get a bandsaw and have the option to buy a used (nearly new) Axminster HBS350N for under £500 (£700+ new), without the 3 year warranty.

Can anyone tell me if the warranty is important on band saws generally - do they tend to go wrong in ways that a warranty would help?

I'd appreciate any advice/ thoughts.

Thanks

Chris

I would take the risk personally.
Although unlike many vendors Axy warranties are worth more than the paper that they are written on

As long as the wheels run true, the guides are in good condition and nothing obvious stands out I'd agree with lurker and take the risk. Little to go wrong with a band saw unless its abused really.

I would however double check it's not the machine reviewed by the Cardiff reviewer on the Axminster website as it looks like he bought a duff one and probably wants rid.

Many thanks both - that's really helpful. The alternative is to get the 310 in the same series for about £550, but a couple of comments on their site doubt its power for thicker blocks of hard wood, which would be a shame. So the 350 looks like a good deal - and I don't think it'll be the one that was reviewed on their site with so many troubles - that was over a year ago, but you never know I guess! hmmm...

I have a 350N.
I've just read the review mentioned above, and most of it doesnt make sense to me. If the table came loose its because the owner didnt assemble it properly.

Its a very good machine. Like all bandsaws, the machine needs to be set up properly, and adjusted properly whenever a blade is changed.
A bandsaw is a bit like a racing car, it needs constant attention run at its best, and most complaints are from people who dont want to, or are unable to spend the time needed. When its set up right, the 350N is a brilliant machine.

I use mine a LOT, and my only complaint is the dust extraction system under the table. I've modified mine and it now works extremely well.

I can cut a piece of ply edge on, and cut all the way across a 12 inch piece without the blade deviating from one layer of ply.

Also, (as long as we are still in the EU) the three year warranty is transferable, so if it was bought less than 3 years ago the warranty is still valid.

just read your post, Dont get the 310, you will quickly regret not getting the bigger model.

I've had a HBS350N for quite a few years and it has done some hard work. Nothing has gone wrong. I did replace the top wheel bearings (which was cheap and quick to do) but I think it was me being paranoid as when I got them out there didn't seem to be anything wrong with the old ones. :oops: Tuff blades of course. :)

Go for it but fit a decent new blade and you will be very happy I'm sure.

I have the HBS310, a new Axcaliber blade and careful set up and it's been great.

Roger has just reminded me I had a couple minor problems. And in the spirit of full disclosure...
the top wheel bearings started to rattle.
Replaced them with top quality japanese from an auto store for under a tenner.

The drive belt broke.
Replaced with a better one again for under a tenner.
Both of those were poor quality parts, replaceable under warranty but i live in Cyprus so i didnt bother waiting.
Sadly nowadays when the whole world buys from china minor parts failures have to be accepted.

Still, I have a very nice machine now.

Thanks all. Really helpful advice/ comments there. I think the power of the 350 would be good, and I'd have saved money in case of repairs - I live near an Axminster store so can get parts easily if I have to... The BS350S looks great, but it's a long way from here to Manchester (also - thanks, I didn't see there's a for sale bit of the forum!) . I'll keep an eye out for any more thoughts and make a decision in the morning! Cheers.

OR (!) I've just seen I can buy a new Record Power BS350S for £650 (plus £25 delivery) with 5 years warranty. The motor is more powerful than the Axminster 350 and it looks good, going to take a look in store today.

Chris152":20copq0n said:
Hi All - New to the site and to working with wood, and this looks like a good place to learn.

I've decided to get a bandsaw and have the option to buy a used (nearly new) Axminster HBS350N for under £500 (£700+ new), without the 3 year warranty.

Can anyone tell me if the warranty is important on band saws generally - do they tend to go wrong in ways that a warranty would help?

I'd appreciate any advice/ thoughts.

Thanks

Chris
If in any doubt whatsoever, give the Axminster Service Dept a shout and ask to speak to one of the guys. Any issues or queries will probably be answered on the spot - Rob

Thanks both!

I took a look at the BS350S which looks good, and turns out delivery is free and there's another £50 off for an event this weekend. So that's 600 all in, including 5 years warranty. The only reservation I have is the size of the mitre tracks - they're smaller than normal (I think) so I guess you can't get a mitre upgrade - is that correct?

Thanks again for all the advice.

Chris

Correct, the mitre gauge on all of the bandsaws I have experience of are not up to much anyway, OK for occasional use, but not much else, better to get a chop mitre saw, now that is a whole different ball game that you don't want to get into on this thread, please. (hammer) :wink:

Mike

Got to disagree there. My axminster 350 came with an acceptable mitre gauge. I have now upgraded to a UJKW super gauge but only because one was for sale here at a cheaper price than new.

The UJKW mitre fence is so good that I swap it to the router table, but as said, the stock one was pretty good.

Ha, yes - I've got to the point that I want a band saw after first thinking I need a sliding mitre saw, then thinking a table saw was the way to go, and finally deciding a band saw has it all! I know there are compromises, but I'm in no hurry to get a mitre or table saw. I quite like using a mitre block and tenon saw, and actually thought the mitre gauge on the Record 350S was quite good, no real wobble at all - but also wonder why they don't make a standard size channel for the gauge so you can upgrade in future.

Am I right thinking a mitre sled helps with accuracy of cross/ mitre cuts, or is it just easier to make the cuts with one?

I'll buy one or the other (Axminster/ Record) in the morning, then I'll stop with my endless questions...

depends what you want to make. Picture frames need a mitre saw or table saw, bandsaw boxes cant be made on any other machine.

I use my bandsaw way more than I use the mite / chop saw.

Continuing to trawl through options this bank holiday weekend, I've seen a used Axminster AWHBS310N - less power and size then the 350s I've been looking at but cheap (£175) and maybe good to learn on. BUT - it doesn't have a blade tension guide, as far as I can tell from photos - is that an issue? I just watched a link from another thread to the flutter method which kind of looks like I could manage that - but I've never even used a band saw so wonder if I should just pay the extra for a bells and whistles new one?
Is it difficult to tension the blade properly without a gauge and experience?

Back