Are there really people this uneducated?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I failed the eleven-plus in the 1940s/50s. I was going to be a 'blue-collar' worker then. A disappointment, but I got on with it. I passed an exam later for the 'Technical School'. what you might call a polytech. (Since promoted to Uni :roll: in Brum.)

I didn't go into engineering though; I joined the RN as a Boy Seaman at 15 and a half.
I had to take an educational grading test, which I passed and was then classed as 'AC' Boy (Advanced Class). When I started my training proper, I was the only member of my class who had NOT been to Grammar school. So I must have learned something. I can't say I ever felt deprived; even if I was.

Something happened between failing the eleven-plus and joining the RN. I think it was just that along with thousands of other kids, I had been a 'slow-developer'; and that was what was wrong with the idea of the eleven-plus. It didn't take into account slow developing children. Thankfully I caught up! All I lost was a lot of my precious youth to the RN, spending most of it rolling around in minesweepers, and leaning over the side, calling for 'Billl'! :D

My children went to a comp. They both did well, but neither wanted to go to university, even though they could have done so. That upset me, but at the end of the day, it is their life; not mine.

Ian down london way":17jsehjp said:
phil.p":17jsehjp said:
My friend (a GP, so not an silly person) read a very in depth survey which claimed that up to 60% of school leavers are functionally illiterate or innumerate. He said this raises an interesting point - that as 50% of them go to university, up to 20% of people at university could be functionally innumerate or illiterate. :D

I think your doc friend is right.

Assume 100 kids.
60% are illiterate, so that's 60 of them, and 40 are literate.
50% go to Uni, that's 50 of them.

So all the literate ones go (40), plus 10 illiterate to make up the numbers.

So, of the 50 going to Uni, 10 are illiterate, that's 20%

They're called Arts students. The medics can't read because they're too pineappled.

find-x-funny-math-image-joke.png

I just popped out to get a bit of exercise (followed by some light refreshment)

DTR":30kqcns9 said:

Yes, I heard you drank 5 litres of undiluted blackcurrant squash -you want to be careful with that, all that sugar'll make you hyperactive

RobinBHM":f1kj6prh said:
DTR":f1kj6prh said:

Yes, I heard you drank 5 litres of undiluted blackcurrant squash -you want to be careful with that, all that sugar'll make you hyperactive

The sugar couldn't have done him too much harm - at least he managed to find 'x'.

Back