Let’s play a game

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reinforcing many of the points above, as a regular buyer on ebay, I've dealt with many excellent private sellers over the years and about 1% who oversell their items or hide a significant defect. Ebay have never let me down over getting this 1% returned or refunded.
When buying, I've learnt to explicitly ask about damage and defects in case of such a dispute and I'm super wary of single photos as who knows what the other 5 sides look like.

Facebook I avoid but recent experience selling for the widow of a friend was a surprise. For machines with some value we encountered several prospective buyers trying on financial scams. The real buyers were out there but the first three days after listing, all there seemed to be were scammers.

On the forum, I've had good experience buying privately and dealt with some great folk, but membership of UKW doesn't mean someone is knowledgeable about tools or takes care of them. I have bought a total pup before now. I would hope members care about their reputations and want to resolve any issues, but buyers and sellers should use EVEN MORE CARE than on ebay as UKW can't give anyone a refund.

Ebay has become a den of iniquity where a buyer is protected whilst sellers lose out and so many scams. It is no longer a place for getting bargains and I have found that if you find something from a business then go to them direct for a better price.

Before we moved I purchased a new apple product direct from apple only to find it didn’t fit in with my Wife’s decor so it’s now upstairs in a bedroom virtually unused, and ought to sell it buts it’s worth between £900 to a £1000.
Forget about eBay, gumtree, etc so the only option as I have no friends 😳 is to sell it too a shop for about £450.
My point is everyone wants a bargain and not pay a reasonable price or can get one new on the never never.
I know that something is only worth what someone will pay for it, but for anybody who has good secondhand items to sell are affected by the prices and charges by eBay and the like.

I have just attempted to sell a couple of items on the for sale forum, after about half an hour I get questions about both, the bigger item I am asked the normal sort of questions, then where are you and can I see it working?.
I reply of course PM with a date and time.
Then I have not heard anything not even a polite message via PM.
I would have expected at least some sort communication if only being polite.
Now I am probably being paranoid but,
No message to even say “ sorting out a time to look at it or, I have changed my mind etc.
I haven’t given out my home address and my pictures of item don’t have location data but they have been taken in my garage with other items.
So as I not selling the items because I need the money so to play it safe I have withdrawn said items from sale as it’s not worth the potential hassle.
So as a possible thing to make people aware let’s play a game, from my pictures let’s see how many items of value you can identify of the carry away type.View attachment 174414View attachment 174415

Before we moved I purchased a new apple product direct from apple only to find it didn’t fit in with my Wife’s decor so it’s now upstairs in a bedroom virtually unused, and ought to sell it buts it’s worth between £900 to a £1000.
Forget about eBay, gumtree, etc so the only option as I have no friends 😳 is to sell it too a shop for about £450.
My point is everyone wants a bargain and not pay a reasonable price or can get one new on the never never.
I know that something is only worth what someone will pay for it, but for anybody who has good secondhand items to sell are affected by the prices and charges by eBay and the like.
There is truth in this, but equally many people have a totally unreasonable idea of the value of secondhand goods.
Even if new and unused, the moment you take something out of a shop it's warranty is usually not transferrable (-18%, my valuation of what a warranty is typically worth), a buyer of tools and machinery can't reclaim VAT on it (-20%), some sort of discount is required to cover buyers additional risk and incentivise vs simply buying it at the local screwfix, and usually tools for example sold online are delivered free, rather than £10 odd to cover a private sellers actual cost.

So a seller shouldn't be surprised if they are offered 50% of what they paid for something. It's not an unreasonable offer to start the conversation and if they get 70% of what they paid, they did very well indeed. And that is new in box condition. If any signs of wear and tear, prices fall further.

As a buyer you need to weigh up the cost including delivery and VAT against someones used asking price, we tend to accept paying a bit more if it is on our doorstep and can easily be collected otherwise you need to factor in this cost which for a pallet is around £75 .

The part I don't get is how you can involve IT with home decor, Apple is phones and tablets so who hangs them on a wall !

I can sympathise with the OP... it seems as though "manners" have gone out of the window in recent times. And basically, that's what it boils down to...
I use your knowledge/experience/skill to help me out of a jam, but then you can ****** off because you've suited my purpose.
I'd hope that everyone who's helped me out on this very forum has been thanked accordingly. Grovelling apologies if not the case.
I do think that the majority of folk are still decent - let me give you a perfect example.
A few weeks ago, I put a request on this forum for something to be made. A chap - who I won't name without his permission - came up trumps, and within a few days, the item was duly delivered. Fantastic.
I "overpaid" him on purpose. He'd only wanted to cover the cost of materials and postage, but that didn't account for his time and "inconvenience", so I paid "too much".
It turned out that he gave the "overpayment" to charity.

Since then, I asked if he'd be interested in making another, totally unrelated, item.
Again, he calculated material costs, and even before the "deal" was struck, told me not to overpay.
I sent him the item details- way more complicated than the first item - and again the goods were on my doorstep within a week-or-so.
This time, I donated a few bob to the same charity, so we were both happy.... (y)

So you see, yes, there are some varmints, scammers and ne'er-do-wells knocking about, but there's still hope! I understand some people do not reply but I had trouble replying to the advert I'm not conversant with all these new technology hopefully this will be resolved but thank you for your time

Maybe the prospective buyer thinks your advert is a scam!!! I was playing your game of what I can see, but what I did notice was how clean your room is, no sawdust, barely any dust, it just can't be right.....could I trust buying something out of a workshop that tidy. ;)

Take no notice, I'm only jealous, I recently had a sweep up and filled 2 wheelbarrows!

As a buyer you need to weigh up the cost including delivery and VAT against someones used asking price, we tend to accept paying a bit more if it is on our doorstep and can easily be collected otherwise you need to factor in this cost which for a pallet is around £75 .

The part I don't get is how you can involve IT with home decor, Apple is phones and tablets so who hangs them on a wall !
It’s called an IMAC sits on a table so you need a table and room for it (and a printer), you do know what a printer is I assume😂.

Maybe the prospective buyer thinks your advert is a scam!!! I was playing your game of what I can see, but what I did notice was how clean your room is, no sawdust, barely any dust, it just can't be right.....could I trust buying something out of a workshop that tidy. ;)

Take no notice, I'm only jealous, I recently had a sweep up and filled 2 wheelbarrows!
I don’t make anything just wander around with a feather duster,👍 don’t see any dust when I watch YouTube videos.

It’s called an IMAC sits on a table so you need a table and room for it
I thought the IMAC was an all in one Pc so you only have a monitor without any base or tower so a very neat and tidy solution. Have you thought of making a nice wall unit where it could live but be hidden when not in use or is this device just not required ?

Farcepuke Muck-it-up-place is littered with scammers. Just try searching for a car, caravan or motorhome in particular. Regularly, it seems that Joe Bloggs - a private individual - has about eight cars, a boat and three motorhomes he/she/it is trying to shift. There are great photos of each, but the giveaway is the description. "Engine size 1.0L" - for a motorhome? "No outstanding liens" again, again and again for caravans.
What seems to be happening is stolen identities used to advertise copied (legitimate) adverts. You are then invited to 'make a deposit to secure the item as there is a huge interest in this van/boat/zippy car'. Your money is never seen again.
Folks who ask for a viewing before imparting cash are given an address, false of course. One unlucky individual is rumoured to have travelled from the South Coast to between York and Newcastle to discover he'd been had.
Caveat emptor!!
Spot on Sam and what's worse is that no matter how many times the scams are reported to Facebook they never remove them. The only good thing is that anyone with the tiniest amount of commonsense can spot them a mile off.

That said I've bought one or two items from Facebook ads without issue and sold quite a few as well, you just have to weed out the chancers and be careful. I've also bought several items from forum members, none with any issues whatsoever and have sold a couple including a van a number of years ago. He transfered a couple of £thousand as deposit and got a train from the south east to Newcastle where I picked him up, brought him home and he very happily set off on the long trip home after a cuppa and sandwich.
I would always trust any long standing member far more than an anonymous Facebook or Ebay person.

I thought the IMAC was an all in one Pc so you only have a monitor without any base or tower so a very neat and tidy solution. Have you thought of making a nice wall unit where it could live but be hidden when not in use or is this device just not required ?
Unfortunately not required have a couple of iPads on the wall😜

FAO William Pang...
I appreciate you're new to this technology, but can you take a little more care when incorporating somebody elses quote in your responses, please?
It looks as if the final sentence in the edit below was part of what I'd written, but was actually your response!

".....a few bob to the same charity, so we were both happy....
So you see, yes, there are some varmints, scammers and ne'er-do-wells knocking about, but there's still hope!" I understand some people do not reply but I had trouble replying to the advert I'm not conversant with all these new technology hopefully this will be resolved but thank you for your time

Last edited:
When I were a lad, I frequently did something wrong because that's what kids do but I would get a wack on the back of my legs or a clip around the ear or sent to bed without any tea. Nowadays you can't put your own child over your knee and smack um, you can't clip them around the ear and if you send them to bed without any tea they'll ring for a pizza.
Thank the government for not allowing discipline in the home and for the generation of "I'll do what I want to whoever I want when I want" attitude from the younger generation.
Discipline never done me any harm.

Bring back national service please!

Dragged up, no discipline and no proper childhood yet they wonder why we have so many lawless feral kids roaming the streets with high knife crime .
Two working parents, children raised by child farmers. Our world’s gone to bagwash as my parents used to say.

Back