Co2 in the home

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. and with a little experimentation this afternoon I've discovered, I can raise or lower the co2 in the room by adjusting the stove damper.
Don't know how this would work out if the stove was lit.
It 'd burn faster with dampers open.
Then you could have the other problem of CO, which is toxic. Wood stoves and open fires have CO detectors recommended.

It does make it a bit colder on the upstairs landing, but for us, that's a small price to pay for no mould or condensation. Our house was originally a 300 year old barn, and so insulation is a bit hit and miss.
Fitted this to a rental when mold became a problem, it draws air from the loft which is normally warmer/dryer than outside, my tenant found apart from the mold and condensation being fixed that their heating bills went down as dry air is cheaper to heat - didn't think it would work but fitted it as didn't know what else to try really pleased with the results

I have a PIV and can confirm its effectiveness at reducing condensation, I would say it must function on co2 as well by the same dilution principal.

Ollie

The HSE has some information and the statutory workplace limits here:

https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/eh40.pdf
CO2 is heavier than air, so you might find the concentration varies with the height above floor of your monitor. Try it out perhaps, the most relevant readings will be from whatever height you breath at.

Carbon monoxide is a different story altogether and has a very different action - CO2 simply starves you of oxygen, CO bonds to the red cells in blood and hinders oxygen transport in the body and is much slower to reverse. It's a real hazard. From memory we worried about CO2 for confined space entry but not as a general thing and we worried about CO a lot more.

(I have never heard of mass annihilation events in stuffy offices or on the undeground so I doubt CO2 is much to worry about).

The HSE has some information and the statutory workplace limits here:

https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/eh40.pdf
CO2 is heavier than air, so you might find the concentration varies with the height above floor of your monitor. Try it out perhaps, the most relevant readings will be from whatever height you breath at.
Yip I placed it around my sitting head height.

Carbon monoxide is a different story altogether and has a very different action - CO2 simply starves you of oxygen, CO bonds to the red cells in blood and hinders oxygen transport in the body and is much slower to reverse. It's a real hazard.
I have a CO meter/alarm which shows 18ppm
I learned something today. I was always under the impression that CO was heavier than air and kept the meter on the floor. According to HSE it lighter than air. So I moved it to head height. Still shows 18ppm so no foul.
From memory we worried about CO2 for confined space entry but not as a general thing and we worried about CO a lot more.

(I have never heard of mass annihilation events in stuffy offices or on the undeground so I doubt CO2 is much to worry about).
As I said in the OP I not worried about instant death but since I'm spending more time in this old house I'd like to minimise damp, mould condensation, vocs etc.

We have heat and CO alarms in all rooms with combustion appliances in (Aico). During this part of the year we do find the humidistat controlled extract fan in the en-suite comes on overnight if we don't close the door, however, we do sleep with a Velux and one main widow slightly open in the bedroom. 🤔

Back