What did you do in your workshop today ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Installed correctly oriented bearing guides on the top and bottom of my bandsaw:

DSC01399.jpg

DSC01400.jpg

DSC01402.jpg

Mike

Attachments

• DSC01402.jpg
    DSC01402.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC01400.jpg
    DSC01400.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC01399.jpg
    DSC01399.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 189
MikeJhn":1vlvirq5 said:
Installed correctly oriented bearing guides on the top and bottom of my bandsaw:

Are they home-made or after-market? They look too good to be stock guides

Mucked about with my new branding iron :D
I mean, vain as all get-out, but I don't care, I'm playing with blowtorches and wood :D

IMG_1219a.jpg

IMG_1205a.jpg

monkeybiter":1lecic2m said:
Bit of a gadgeteer?
One of those risks that comes with the whole electronics/software engineer job I'm afraid. But I've kept most of the gadgets out of the workshed and on the electronics workbench so far at least :D

phil.p":1lecic2m said:
Mark, what size is the piece of wood? (how much was the iron?) please.
That little scrap? It's tiny, 3½"x1" (it's just one of the scraps I use for padding clamps). The actual brand itself was supposed to be small enough to be something I could put in an out-of-the-way spot on a piece, it's 15mmx25mm.
The full cost of the brand, including the handle, was HK$308 (about €35/£31 including postage). Bought from here, and mine was the 8mm thick one that you just leave in a torch for a few minutes before use. You can get them in 12mm and 20mm thick as well and with an electric heater in the handle if you want (but having seen a fair bit of the kit that comes from near Schengen, I wouldn't trust anything from there that plugs into the mains until I'd taken it apart and checked it myself).
The guy who does then wants the design in .eps or .jpg format (but 800dpi or more in .jpg format), but most basic drawing packages can do that these days (including the free online ones).
Hope that helps!

Not in the workshop - on my patio (too sunny, really, but needs must).

A friend had given me a rather superb Ash stump from some tree surgery,
since my current kindling chopping block is too small (and too beetle eaten).

Since the stump was a "Y" fork, I "just" needed to cut it off parallel
so it would stand up nicely.

I stood it upside down, and scribed it using my kitchen floor as the reference, and
a clamped up L (gallows?) as the scribing tool.

I then made the cut using my 30" Tyzack bowsaw. Took a while, I got very hot.
block.jpg

BugBear

Attachments

• block.jpg
    block.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 528
Replaced the webbing straps under the seat of my workshop armchair - finally used the webbing from a car carry cot cradle that I've kept for thirty years "just in case".

Sharpening duty today, did a rake of chisels on veritas grinding jig, pretty decent investment when you need to do a load fast, anyway its Sunday so anything is a bonus, think I'll go and pat myself on the back :lol:

Spent the whole day fixing the bathroom in the flat because the jokers who built it just used any old MDF panel they had lying around and it disintegrated.

After years of prevarication I have finally insulated and boarded out my workshop. Only took a couple of days. It is actually a nice place to work in now. Should've done it years ago!!

Kev":2hz7hdg4 said:
After years of prevarication I have finally insulated and boarded out my workshop. Only took a couple of days. It is actually a nice place to work in now. Should've done it years ago!!

I misread you quite severely at first. I read "insulted and boarded up my workshop... shoulda done it years ago!" :wink:

I've had days like that for real though.

Thought I would improve the dust extract from my Bandsaw:
DSC01414.jpg

Temporally taped in place to see if its worth making permanent, looks like it will be, so will possibly put a piece of plastic pipe to direct the suction to the extract.
DSC01416.jpg

Oh nearly forgot, also improved the dust extraction from my mitre saw:

DSC01419.jpg

Mike

Attachments

• DSC01414.jpg
    DSC01414.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 349
  • DSC01416.jpg
    DSC01416.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 349
  • DSC01419.jpg
    DSC01419.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 349
Today I found out that the recommended distance for a Blum insert hinge does not work, if you use the 37mm plus the door thickness as suggested here: http://go.rockler.com/tech/rtd10315697aa.pdf the hinge will be at the end of its adjustment, this leaves no room for adjustment of the door inwards, in my case the doors are 25mm thick and this would equate to 62mm, using 65mm puts the adjustable plate into the middle of its range, good job I did a couple of mock ups first.

Mike

I stopped by Wentwood Timber Centre after a weekend's camping today. My son couldn't believe how excited I was at all the pieces of wood propped up for sale in the showrooms.

Anyway, I left with some samples, brought to the garage so I can try working each to compare their qualities - very happy!

IMG_1144.jpg

But - the piece of sycamore had some woodworm holes in the end. I cut that part off and another 4 inches to be safe (I guess) - Is that safe to have indoors or should I chuck the whole plank?

Thanks.

Oh, and I forgot these beautiful yew planks! I don't plan to do anything with them, just look at them.
IMG_1145yew.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1144.jpg
    IMG_1144.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_1145yew.jpg
    IMG_1145yew.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_1145yew.jpg
    IMG_1145yew.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 202
Blimey. You have a bad case of Purtywud. It might be fatal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back