What did you do in your workshop today ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

biskit

Established Member
Reaction score
I altered my vac/cyclone, so I can just plug in the vacuum hose after closing a blast gate for the machine duct, by fitting a Y junction. I might even try fitting another blast gate to the vac hose! So it can stay fixed.That may be even better. Ongoing shop spruce up. (Spring clean) :D

It was Sunday and fine weather so yet again I was making concrete formwork outside helped by my wife who shovelled a lot of stone and dug out a trench!. Finally finished it and we are now ready for pouring 16 cu. metres of pumped ready mix.
Made a pull out base for my router table and fitted half inch extension collet.
Made a grinder station for my bench grinder.
Sharpened 4 chisels on new Sorby pro edge.
Mended a leaking water butt that my wife lugged over.
Ate a crunchie bar.

Bagged up an old compost heap from the corner of the garden to make space for my workshop build. 30 bags of soil and 300wt of bricks taken to the dump, and which psycho puts bricks in a compost heap, dig dig clang argh dig dig clang argh, for a day!

Also stripped down the table saw arbor and ordered new bearings, pulleys and belts. Funny how you make do with the condition of your old tools until you refurb one, then realise you need to do them all.

Fitz

Painted the doors, made a sheet store and some fence/bed protection for the morticer as well as a bit more reorganising and general cleaning/tidying.

Levelled the joints on a saw horse I've made for my brother, he's just discovered DIY :). Saw horse no. 2 follows tomorrow.

Also I finally knurled the brass plumb bob I made as an apprentice 15 years ago

Tidied it up. And challenged myself as to why on Earth I kept so much stuff in there that wasn't worthy e.g. general household storage that had no right to be there. It feels good and now I can better organise it for its intended purpose!

started work on 18 turned wooden flower pots for table decorations for a family wedding later in the summer. To retain the water/oasis they are having tins inside. Still prototyping different styles/dimensions. Should it be beans or sweet corn...decisions.....decisions!

Random Orbital Bob":28pzctpt said:
started work on 18 turned wooden flower pots for table decorations for a family wedding later in the summer. To retain the water/oasis they are having tins inside. Still prototyping different styles/dimensions. Should it be beans or sweet corn...decisions.....decisions!
Obviously a case of "Can Do"
Nothing specific planned for today, pre holiday visitors clean up of benches etc. in case some want to play with bits of wood and deliver a couple of dozen finished bits that have been requested.

Reached about half way thgrough making a pair of 'mirrored' boxes. More sanding, flocking, handles and finishing to do yet.

2016-03-19 12.57.11 R.jpg

Malcolm

Attachments

• 2016-03-19 12.57.11 R.jpg
    2016-03-19 12.57.11 R.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 2,932
Knocked these out yesterday, first for a while. have to start fitting a new porch door and frame today followed by same for our front door.

Attachments

• Stratus. teak.jpg
    Stratus. teak.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 2,888
  • gearshift 2.jpg
    gearshift 2.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 2,888
Had a fun filled couple of hours cleaning out my chip extractor filter. Does life get any better? Sorry nurse I,ll come back.

Charli

In between too many other distractions managed to finish and fit my first home made blast gate, a minor milestone in getting my ducting in.

Terry.

Selsdon_PJS":2m41a98z said:
Tidied it up. And challenged myself as to why on Earth I kept so much stuff in there that wasn't worthy e.g. general household storage that had no right to be there. It feels good and now I can better organise it for its intended purpose!

Great stuff, you have to be ruthless with household rubbish! Anything that takes up any real space gets sold on Gumtree, if you ever need whatever it is, there'll be someone selling one anyway. Today I'm going to power-wash the drive, tidy up round the garden then give the workshop a proper clear-up. Can't wait!

Showed visiting daughter from US the pre-1900 Stanley No 7 acquired recently and nicked the end of my index finger on blade :oops: . It certainly takes a good edge.

Started to fashion a rack to hold my chisels, using my french cleat system. It will have two rows across and hang at the back of the bench in easy reach. I'll try for a finish tomorrow.

Had a clear out of shed, 2 sheets of plasterboard, half a door, 2 mirrors and 6 dustbins full of shavings, sawdust and rubbish all in a skip. Now looks like shed is much bigger.

It was my only day off today, so spent it making a bird table with my 4 year old. Very rustic, made from offcuts but she did quite a bit and was very proud of what we made.

2272016215328.jpg

Back in tomorrow making a bed.

Nick

Attachments

• 2272016215328.jpg
    2272016215328.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 289
Had my first ever go at arc welding, with tuition from brother! No where near as difficult as he made it to to be. Used my dad's old welder and mask, which was quite emotional as he has been dead for some years now.

Leveling screed on concrete ready for new pvc floor tiles a 4 stage job over 3 days with lots of machinery juggling...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back