What did you do in your workshop today ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or put a veneer of some kind over that side of the part and make it a design feature?

Brian18741":3cud5m2g said:
Indeed! These things happen though as you say. I don't know if I should just fill it in with filler or rout it out into a rectangle and make a piece to fit in. It's the top rail of a beds headboard so I can use that edge as the underside if you get me. You'll only see it as when you're lying in bed looking up. I'm thinking filler perhaps as it will be sanded and painted.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Brian, as it's going to be painted just fill it, P38/Bondo 2 pack best, quick sand and file out any filler to reshape the top of the mortice and continue with the bed. Could all be done in an hour or less. Very minor blip.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think. I'll try the filler first, worst case scenario I can chop it out again and patch in a plug. I may some P38 in the garage from repairing a bumper on a bus. Any additional steps necessary for using it on wood?

Brian18741":1rasurvy said:
Thanks for all the replies guys. I think. I'll try the filler first, worst case scenario I can chop it out again and patch in a plug. I may some P38 in the garage from repairing a bumper on a bus. Any additional steps necessary for using it on wood?

Other than ensuring there's no dust, just mix it as usual and throw it in. You can trim it with a sharp blade if needed after about 10 mins when it starts to feel rubbery. After 20 mins (especially with the current weather) ready for sanding, repeat if there's a few wee bubble holes etc.

Refinishing the scheppach lathe I got for cheap, giving it a whole new paintjob, it will be hammerite grey and black when done.

34224125812_e422562a2b_b.jpg

Well the filler (P38) is in and sanded. You can't feel the difference at all but there are some tiny bubbles in it. I may have another go tomorrow when I see it in the harsh light of day but for now, I'm going to tentatively say it's done!
c178133f4b384585aafdbd577efad279.jpg

Brian18741":37wgi0x7 said:
Well the filler (P38) is in and sanded. You can't feel the difference at all but there are some tiny bubbles in it. I may have another go tomorrow when I see it in the harsh light of day but for now, I'm going to tentatively say it's done!
c178133f4b384585aafdbd577efad279.jpg

Yep, just give it a thin spread and that should finish it. Daylight always shows a further wee pin hole or two, filling that size of hole is generally a two stage process, for me anyway.

I usually run the hoover over it to before the second application to, I find the dust from sanding can become lodged in the air holes.

I found some 2nd hand filing cabinets from a closed bank office for 20 euros a piece. I went to pick up both of them yesterday but holy moly those things were bigger than I thought. And one of them didn't have proper drawers, it was more for hanging folders in. So I only got the one with proper drawers, only one would fit in the car anyhow. Good thing I only got one, because I could barely fit this cabinet somewher in my shop but I placed it next to the drill press, I will need to pull it out if I drill something bigger so it's gonna be kinda annoying, might have to move other things about....

There is another cabinet I didn't get still at the place I bought this one, same dimensions except only two drawers high, I am thinking of going back for it and replacing it as my drill press stand.

33629576404_0969a0cafd_b.jpg

These are some serious drawers, full extension, lockable, there's some kind of safety system so only one drawer at a time can be opened.
I've been lacking deep drawers to store bigger stuff in.

33629583104_60237fe380_b.jpg

For the top drawer I decided to make an insert so I can use more of the vertical height of the drawer, here was a use for my sheet metal brake. I think I will make another insert for the drawer underneath too. I might TIG weld ends on this drawer to stiffen it up.

33629594524_8b8a93c408_b.jpg

Started putting the lathe back together today:
34513704665_a516da3ef6_b.jpg

With the covers on, I'm not sure if I like it more with or without the covers on.
34513710455_788ff65d01_b.jpg

34472224716_5e8071cc83_b.jpg

I made some winding sticks, following instructions from Paul Sellers.
https://paulsellers.com/2015/07/taking-the-twists-out-of-life/

This is the first thing I have made with hand tools, so it took a long time (a whole day, compared to PS who took about an hour while narrating a video explaining how to do it :eek: )

They are the same size and straight, which I suppose is the main thing, but the quality - albeit the best I could do - is a bit rough. I have taken the photo from an 'artistic' angle so you can't see exactly how bad the inlays are (and they are my second attempt, the first being so bad I had to chisel them out and start again!)
I have a lot to learn and this has been salutary reminder about the importance of patience when doing something new, but also quite satisfying to have made something useful.

Next I am going to have a go at making a saw bench, and have been using the winding sticks while I dimension the stock.

KrsnP9kffWYtAWUj4jnz9rj-t_xWPx02f8twHmlXT9gZ0lPyUzMsXg

I finished setting up my new (to me) lathe and making some tool boards.

P1050183.JPG

The lathe is bigger (both motor and capacity) than my CL3 was, but it is not as nicely finished. The levers are basic and the castings are not well finished. The Record Power was better in that regard. But this has variable speed (not electronic, it's a weird arrangement of split pulleys that move in and out, but it works). Plus the chucks I had for my CL3 fit this one. Plus Stuart gave me a 4-jaw with it and I still have my Dad's 3-jaw chuck. The tailstock is MT2 and all my centres are MT1, so I have ordered an adaptor sleeve.

I still have to home about 10 more tools. I had two boxes of turning tools, one box of the ones I used and another of the ones that I never used. The thieves took the good box and left the rubbish box. But I've been given a few, and whilst some are old and worn down (must be good if they've been used that much) there are still a couple of Robert Sorbys, Craft Supplies and Ashley Iles. Some are ground to a very strange shape, though. No bowl gouges, unfortunately. I'll have to get up early on a Sunday and forage at a car boot sale.

I've still got to home a couple of chucks and a set of driving cups, along with some bits and pieces, but I now have a spare plastic tool box and as they will all fit in there, that's probably be where they'll live.

I'm quite chuffed about this, as it now means that, with the exception of my spindle moulder, which I rarely used anyway, I am now back to having, pretty much, the same functionality I had before everything grew legs. And if I can get round to making a fence for it, I could get that up and running as well. I do still have some of the tooling.

Happy bunny.

Attachments

• P1050183.JPG
    P1050183.JPG
    241.2 KB · Views: 145
Now to just get some adaptors to connect the shop vac!

Also did some sanding!
e690c72c8beac7992c10fe7088c50b34.jpg
41753dfa2adef2ed43e4573e23b9ce09.jpg

Pushing the woodworking envelope today by making something I've never done before... made a bench hook :-D

Tired of tripping over clamps lying around so knocked up a quick clamp rack.
694763b436416d4a78e3e2bd78c42190.jpg

Decided to power wash the sky lights in the workshop seeing as I was being so productive. Holy dung balls, the difference is incredible!
10b337fd687f4aedd99632e108a61119.jpg
a7c1d4f14eed27c331001e00657df39e.jpg
7f755d6af0617bfe183a471ed1dd71e6.jpg
5a2fd60999bc379e2293da3609773b11.jpg

Finally got my chisel rack done (it's been a long week of not much shed time so it's dragged on).

It's a slightly different design to the normal one.

ChiselRack.jpg

That works, but you have the short-grain problem between the holes (I've broken two while making the one I was using up till now) and you can stagger them to get more into a small wall space but you have to come away from the wall a bit and I was limited in how far I could come out from the wall.
So instead I used a small angled lath that has blocks glued on the inside to keep the chisels from falling over and a block on the wall to stop them sliding down. And magnets inlaid into the lath to help keep them secured. And some perspex to stop me either shoving my hand into an edge by accident or to blunt a chisel by dropping it into the rack and banging it off another chisel already in the row in front or behind it.

IMG_1144a.jpg

IMG_1190a.jpg

IMG_1194a.jpg

The frame is glued and screwed in place, but the individual racks are only screwed in so I can tweak them in the future as needed.

Seems to work so far, nothing's fallen down yet :D And I'm kindof proud of it because I haven't seen this design before (this is where Bugbear shows me how it's actually in a well-known article by Moxon or Heywood that I haven't seen yet :D )

nabs":44xp8btc said:
I made some winding sticks, following instructions from Paul Sellers.
https://paulsellers.com/2015/07/taking-the-twists-out-of-life/

This is the first thing I have made with hand tools, so it took a long time (a whole day, compared to PS who took about an hour while narrating a video explaining how to do it :eek: )

They are the same size and straight, which I suppose is the main thing, but the quality - albeit the best I could do - is a bit rough. I have taken the photo from an 'artistic' angle so you can't see exactly how bad the inlays are (and they are my second attempt, the first being so bad I had to chisel them out and start again!)
I have a lot to learn and this has been salutary reminder about the importance of patience when doing something new, but also quite satisfying to have made something useful.

Next I am going to have a go at making a saw bench, and have been using the winding sticks while I dimension the stock.

KrsnP9kffWYtAWUj4jnz9rj-t_xWPx02f8twHmlXT9gZ0lPyUzMsXg
They look good to me Nick. Keep at it.

Nothing. For the first weekend in ages, I've chilled. Sun's been shining and had the BBQ fired up.

F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back