Quick question on dust extraction piping

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woof

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello knowledgeable hobbyists!

A project I have for christmas is to duct out my workshop (ok garage!) with 100mm ducting to go with my dust extractor. The question I have is - can you combine this with separate 63mm ducting for your smaller bits and pieces - such as bobbin sanders, chop saws? I would have separate blast gates and then use an adaptor to fit to the dust extractor itself. So if the systems are kept separate until the 100mm inlet - that should be fine?

Many thanks, MArk

Assuming you are using a vacuum type eg camvac (High Pressure Low Volume) rather than a dust extractor (High Volume Low Pressure) then yes. If you try and reduce a HVLP system down to anything below 100mm its going to struggle as it simply doesn't have the suction required. It won't damage anything though. By all means give it a go.

For reference these are the two types of extractor you can get

A HVLP extractor, best used at 100mm and above. Can suffer with long length of flexible hose.
107695_xl.jpg

A HPLV extractor, best used at 100mm and below, suffers less with long lengths of flexible hose and diameter restrictions.
107681_xl.jpg

Thanks - sorry I did not specify the dust extractor. I have an axminster AC82E with linked axminster cyclone thing. It is great attached to the planer thicknesses and table saw. I had not looked on the website lately but I see axminster now say for the newest equivalent model that " Note stepping down the hose diameter below 75mm, is not advisable as the airflow volume will drastically fall.". So that I guess is no! Apologies for raising this without checking the model first - but maybe this information will be helpful to anyone else considering mix and matching using this "chip" extractor!
DBT - many thanks for your input!
Mark

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-13 at 20.12.34.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-13 at 20.12.34.png
    531.1 KB · Views: 0
You might find the addition of a HPLV connected to power tools and bench sanders etc. would work well, possibly with a blast gate dust hub? The principle being to reduce the long lengths of ducting whilst keeping blast gates in a central location. Here's one example but just do a search on YouTube for Dust Collection Hub for other ideas

I had a demo of the Camvac series last week and they are so powerful and quiet - top of my list now together with a 2 stage AC400 Record Air Filter.

My camvac type is an old (its blue) Record dx4000 twin motor. It's got plenty of urge but quiet is not a word I might be inclined to use to describe it!

Thanks - sorry I did not specify the dust extractor. I have an axminster AC82E with linked axminster cyclone thing. It is great attached to the planer thicknesses and table saw. I had not looked on the website lately but I see axminster now say for the newest equivalent model that " Note stepping down the hose diameter below 75mm, is not advisable as the airflow volume will drastically fall.". So that I guess is no! Apologies for raising this without checking the model first - but maybe this information will be helpful to anyone else considering mix and matching using this "chip" extractor!
DBT - many thanks for your input!
Mark
No problem Mark, by all means give it a try. At the end of the day it works or it doesn't. Making a bodged up adapter to connect the two isn't that much work.

Most would be best off connecting that kind of extractor up as you have and then one or more of the vacuum type for those small tools.

Interestingly though things like the Incra Clean Sweep seem to want to be connected to the chip extractor type, even though there really isn't that much airflow around the bit.

Quite literally, suck it and see!

My camvac type is an old (its blue) Record dx4000 twin motor. It's got plenty of urge but quiet is not a word I might be inclined to use to describe it!
Totally agree, I heard a DX4000 twin many years ago and it was deafening but the green Camvacs (now owned by Record and still made in the UK) are very quiet, especially if you vent the exhaust outside. Dennis from Hooked on Wood takes it a step further here

Back