Best pipe size for CamVac and tablesaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So although air flow rating is similar on this to other vacs such as a festool this is using a 100mm hose on the CamVac and 32mm hose on the festool therefor the CamVac is less likely to suffer from any blockages of bulkier waste due to the larger hose Is that a correct view?

If I was to use a cyclone would one with 100mm connections be best then do you think?
No and no.
If you stick with 100mm hose and choke it down at the machine end, the turbine will create (potentially a lot) more suction and the airflow will fall. Just look at the graph in the post I made in the other thread.
The airflow isn't big in the first place, it drops a bit when you restrict the hose, regardless of where you do it.
The weak airflow made by a HPLV turbine (single motor camvac, shop vac, etc) is MUCH less that the airflow recommended for a 100mm hose to keep it swept of dust and debris. So in fact the big hose will encourage crud to settle inside it. There ain't enough wind ....
The one saving grace is that if the hose becomes substantially blocked, then all the suction power of the motor will come to bear on the blockage and being a powerfull sucker it will tend to pull it free and move it along to the next bend or tight spot where it will all repeat until it ends up in the drum. Of course it might properly block and the powerfull suction of the vac will then have a go at collapsing the hose which probably wasn't designed with such high levels of suction in mind.
It's quite amusing to watch big bore hoses suddenly shortening like a concetina when the hose blocks. It's strong enough to move small machines, pull cyclones over and things off the walls.

Nothing wrong with a 100mm cyclone, used with a extractor that can move enough air to justify it. Waste of space and money pairing one of those up with a single motor camvac.
The camvac has a good metal tub. That one of it's selling points. I don't see much point in pairing one up with a cyclone, wasting more workshop space on that and having a bulky camvac tub that never gets more than a few percent full ? If you sand anything super fine, the lightweight dust will fly through the cyclone and clog the pores in your camvac filter surprisingly quickly. You'll still have to replace filters even though the camvac drum never gets remotely full.

I once did a job where I extracted more than my bodyweight of debris with a vac and a £30 cyclone. Only a few 100g of dust made it to the vacuum. The cyclone captured all the weight but that fine stuff was a killer for blocking up the bags in the vac. I used about 6 of them on the job and they all felt just empty when I had to swap them.

Update: Apologies for a bum steer.
Given the amount of people using 63mm pipe, I thought I'd recheck mine, it turns out to be 50mm not 63mm, so my problem on two motors is mainly due to the 5m of flex hose I'm using.

I am in process of rejigging my dust collection anyway, so going to replace the 50mm flex. I'll be using 63mm rigid and flex as needed, with a manifold to take 100mm then 63mm from that.

Sorry for the earlier misinformation. 🫢

Back