Light, small, retractable pole.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a similar requirement and originally set up a couple of broom handles with clamps that allowed some vertical adjustment for supporting backgrounds and lighting on my "tabletop studio". That worked, but not well enough. I am a keen amateur photographer and had a few lighting stands that I never use. The tripod legs just take up too much room in my home studio.

The solution was to remove the legs completely and mount the "pole" in 3D printed clamps to suit. The attached photos illustrate this. It is possible to buy a pair of stands for around £25 nowadays and I expect that they would be fine for the task. See these on Amazon

I hope this gives you some ideas.
You are right on the money here. This is what I've got in my head... more or less.

Thanks man.

How about a retractable ceiling mount?
In my instance, it need to be light/small/portable so that I can carry it around... but still thanks.. what you've suggested can be used for other things when I'm setting up shop.

Just for fun, but perhaps worth looking at the linear rails on Marius's gantry

I like this guys channel. He definitely thinks outside the box. I'm that far in the box, I don't even know there is a box.:ROFLMAO:

Keep in mind that you will have a shop vac hose and a power tool attached.
Hose, maybe even the very expensive super flexy ones tend to twist and catch and you end up pulling on them to untangle. Something as thin as a selfie stick is going to snap the first time you use it in anger. You need a thick enough wall that the tube won't collapse and fold, and bigger diameters will be stiffer than small diameters for any given wall thickness.

If telescopic, leaving a good third of each section inside the one before it will make the extended pole stronger compared to extending the pole as far as possible.

Keep in mind that you will have a shop vac hose and a power tool attached.
Hose, maybe even the very expensive super flexy ones tend to twist and catch and you end up pulling on them to untangle. Something as thin as a selfie stick is going to snap the first time you use it in anger. You need a thick enough wall that the tube won't collapse and fold, and bigger diameters will be stiffer than small diameters for any given wall thickness.

If telescopic, leaving a good third of each section inside the one before it will make the extended pole stronger compared to extending the pole as far as possible.
Thanks for that, as I've never used a selfie stick.

What about something sectional such as tent poles?
Well it has to be quick and compact. ie... straight up and down, because I work in doorways, tight areas, etc. There Tripod spare leg idea, with twist locking, seems to be the way forward.

Latest posts

Back