What did you do in your workshop today ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The endless Chinese puzzle move round, of machines, major spring sort out to find, space and waste, De clutter it's good for the soul. =D>

I turned some 6mm dowel from ebony ready for a future project.
Lovely stuff to turn by the way or I did a really good job on the tool sharpening :shock:

No time to do much today, I was working and lunch time was taken up picking up some stone from the local quarry for a bedroom extension, mullions, heads and cills for the windows.

However I did get a delivery of the veritas honing system mk II kit with standard and narrow tool holder with straight and camber roller and got to play with it after dinner. It was an impulse buy as I am not very good at honing by eye, probably as I don't do it enough and I want repeatability. First impressions are good, I honed a 1" chisel with the narrow guide, worked really well. Putting the micro-bevel on it was easy but not identical to the primary bevel i.e. not exactly parallel. I knew of this before I bought it from the various videos out there and don't think it matters however it is easy to get the angles correct repeatedly, putting the micro-bevel is a quick turn of a knob without moving the tool and it clamped the tool well and felt good when honing.

My 8 year old sharpened her first chisel today with the veritas, she checked the back was flat, honed the major bevel by going through most of the grits and put the secondary bevel on and got a nice wire edge which she took off on the tormek leather wheel. She was well chuffed :)

Farmer Giles":1ohnt1sr said:
My 8 year old sharpened her first chisel today with the veritas, she checked the back was flat, honed the major bevel by going through most of the grits and put the secondary bevel on and got a nice wire edge which she took off on the tormek leather wheel. She was well chuffed :)
:D

messed my back up today, it sucks being not in my twenties anymore, might be time to get an anti fatigue mat, can anyone here recommend one for a concrete floor?

I have that jig Giles. Just a beginner here but I think its great. Repeatability. I'm getting the confidence and knowledge to freehand a bit now especially for honing etc... but I have no regrets at all in buying it. Great bit of kit. Main reason I post is that when I first got it i had real trouble with getting a square finish working on old, pretty mangled blades that needed regrinding (on wet n dry and a glass shelf from my kitchen cupboard in my case). I have learnt a lot since then but it troubled me. I'm completely right handed in a relative sense but i couldn't believe i was so cack handed that I couldn't equalise my arms to that extent. Each time I'd get drift across whatever I was sharpening. And always the same.
In the end I got in touch with Veritas, nice chat with some fella. He asked me to explain my technique. I explained it all. About a week later I got a new and free roller through the post. No worries after that. Jig worked great. Jig/no jig debacle aside. You can't fault the customer service. No quibbles, no fuss, just made sure it wasn't user error then replaced. Only mention it because I doubt the quality control is poor at that company but nevertheless, might be worth checking out.
Cheers
Chris

Bought a belt sander and started resurfacing the x-display floorboards. Never had a belt sander before, my oh my what a tool, with 60 grit paper they tear through old finish!

F.

Plumbed the new lights in. What silly person come up with Brown as live? Red equals live. let's face it. It's a danger colour thats exists in nature. Bloody insects recognise it. Brown!?! I got so irritated I mixed all the wiring up in case I ever had to sell the house. That'll show em.

HhVt30p.jpg

The standard lamp is not wired in to be fair.
That's just next doors standard lamp popping round to welcome his new neighbours. Fair play.

Bm101":1pqydmm5 said:
I have that jig Giles. Just a beginner here but I think its great. --SNIP--. You can't fault the customer service. No quibbles, no fuss, just made sure it wasn't user error then replaced.
Only mention it because I doubt the quality control is poor at that company but nevertheless, might be worth checking out.
Cheers
Chris

Thanks Chris, I used it tonight again and got better results on the secondary bevel but may just ring them up anyway and see if they send me a spare roller :)

When the missus goes out of an evening, I can't sneak out to the workshop with a couple of kids upstairs as you can guarantee they will come down, wonder where you are and then come out the workshop while waking the other one up then all is lost. So I took my piece of glass with the 3M honing film on it and nearly all my planes and had a major sharpening/fettling session

Here's most of the planes, only my Lie Nielsen low angle block plane missing, its lurking in the workshop and I only sharpened it the other day, and a no 5 and no 3 that are in the post after a late night after pub ebay session :oops: The 5-1/2 was also part of the post pub shop and appeared yesterday and needed little adjustment but the blade has very little meat left on it. So I shall buy another and I put a slight convex edge on the existing blade for smoothing with the roller with the veritas camber roller. The marples no4 needs a bit of fettling as it's been kept somewhere damp. The 4-1/2 needs a new handle, its been glued and needs at least sanding but if I see a new handle I shall get it.

P1060406.jpg

P1060407.jpg

I have three no.4, all through gifts from neighbours and relatives but I think I will keep them all, two are Stanleys' one US and on British made, the US one has a laminated blade, at first I thought the honing guide had slipped and I was honing another bevel until I put my specs on :)

Both kids came down and interrupted, ear ache and belly ache, but I got most of the planes done. most just needed a quick hone, but some needed a complete new primary bevel.

Attachments

• P1060406.jpg
    P1060406.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 83
  • P1060407.jpg
    P1060407.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 83
Farmer Giles":36a4c6yy said:
When the missus goes out of an evening, I can't sneak out to the workshop with a couple of kids upstairs as you can guarantee they will come down, wonder where you are and then come out the workshop while waking the other one up then all is lost.

I can't tell you how much of an accurate description that is of my life right now :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bm101":554cxc3x said:
Plumbed the new lights in. What silly person come up with Brown as live? Red equals live. let's face it. It's a danger colour thats exists in nature. Bloody insects recognise it. Brown!?! I got so irritated I mixed all the wiring up in case I ever had to sell the house. That'll show em.

The standard lamp is not wired in to be fair.
That's just next doors standard lamp popping round to welcome his new neighbours. Fair play.

:lol: I like that re the wires - you've created true electrickery - Good man!

That workshop looks more like a warehouse - it's pigging huge! (and very bright - nice)

Was very lucky when we bought the house Greg, the sellers had split up, I think the shed was the last attempt to make a go of it and he was living down there. It's a dunster house. Its not quite as big that pic makes out though, I was sitting down having a cider at the end of the day so it's a bit estate agenty sense of scale. I gradually claimed it as my own. Even the Mrs now has no doubts lol. But yeh, I'm very lucky to have a nice space to mess about in. I racked out part of one end just last week or two and it was pretty much the best thing I ever did in there. Well pleased. For the first time I'm getting it sorted properly. Efficiency and simplicity. Well that's the idea lol.
Picked up a table from my mums last week. Funny enough it was in my room as a kid. I felt a tiny pang of guilt as I considered drilling.... ha ha. No I didn't. I just drilled through it and didn't give a toss. 8)
Metal work bench! Woot.

pwrHWWY.jpg

I even made a leather strop. Then I searched for 40 minutes to find the honing paste. No Joy. Stupid tidy shed. :(

I have made a stand for the new Aldi band saw that I got, made a body for a Seth Davey 'dancing doll' on the lathe, then cut some arms and legs on the band saw. It's not brilliant but it's a start

You must really learn to keep your arms and legs away from the blade on your bandsaw, trying to trim your finger and toe nails on it is not a good idea. :wink:

Mike

MikeJhn":6kfr2yro said:
You must really learn to keep your arms and legs away from the blade on your bandsaw, trying to trim your finger and toe nails on it is not a good idea. :wink:

Mike

Ahh! that's where I was going wrong then! If you have heard the saying 'all the gear, no Idea' That was invented for me. My best mate was a restoration carpenter for 30 yrs. he's given up trying to teach me how to cut straight. Went to lidl today. Sliding mitre saw oohh! tempted. But the band saw took the budget for this month.

I was out most of the day with the wife and kids, but got about 2 hours in this afternoon. I swapped the keyed alike mortice locks on the front stable door, supposedly with identical make/models but they needed loads of adjustment and new keeps fitting. Then I finished fettling the marples no.4 plane and the No.3 and No.5 turned up so I now have loads of planes. The Clifton No.6 is missing from this photo.

P1060409.jpg

So the next time the missus goes out of an evening I will bring the sharpening stuff into the house again and start on this lot, I knew I had a few more now my dad passed me all his tools but I'm suprised how many I had picked up over the years. I think I will keep 3 sets of bevel chisels. A set that stays in the workshop, a set for working on the house and a set in case I have to lend some tools. I only have a few firmer chisels and a single mortice chisel so will keep them. In fact I'll keep them all :)

P1060408.jpg

Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• P1060409.jpg
    P1060409.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 296
  • P1060408.jpg
    P1060408.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 296
I've been meaning to mock up a means of suspending my Festool vac hose for quite some time.
My workshop time this year has been limited to say the least, but it only took an hour or two yesterday to produce this crude but effective monstrosity....

Attachments

• suspended hose.jpg
    suspended hose.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 263
I did something similar today with my vac system, I put two tees and blast-gates onto it for and reduced them down to 51mm ID, the first one is for the sander, the second will be for anything else I use on that bench. I'm using tees because that is all I had in the parts bin, they're not as efficient as Y connectors but I can always change them later if I need more suction, for this purpose I don't think I do.

P1060415.jpg

The metabo sander works a treat using abranet, at first I thought the dual motor vac would be too much for it and put too much strain on the vac, its seems OK but if I went down a size I think I may have to work on some way of leaking a bit to take off the strain. I have the domino sorted at the tool end without buying the uber expensive festool hose.

Next I finished off the plane blades, I had used my lie Nielsen block plane to trim up some formica so decided to give it a bit of a polish, this is with the Tormek grinder then finished off with the veritas honing guide and 3M aluminium oxide film to put on the micro-bevel, I think I'm getting the hang of it :) I won't use it for trimming formica again, I will use the stanley 102 for that now it's sharp.

P1060418.jpg

Next up was the only spokeshave I have, it's my dad's and I can tell he had a few problems sharpening it. It actually was sharp, in a wavy kind of way.

P1060410.jpg

The blade was too short to go into any of my honing guides or straight edge tormek jigs, so I used the knife sharpening jig to grip it, set the angle to 25 degrees and ground the primary bevel. It's not ideal as it doesn't stop you moving it at and angle but with a bit of care it worked out. Dodgy bevel is going..

P1060412.jpg

almost gone

P1060413.jpg

And now back nestling in the spoke shave after having a secondary bevel honed on it free hand. So although I can do it freehand, I prefer repeatability with a honing guide.

P1060414.jpg

I then flatted a few chisel blade backs with 100 micron paper and decided it was about time I cut some wood so made a drawbox for the router table and cut the sides for another 4 drawers but run out of 6mm ply for the bases so took the dog for a walk to the pub with the kids.

Not a bad workshop day, pity its work tomorrow.......

Attachments

• P1060415.jpg
    P1060415.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 230
  • P1060418.jpg
    P1060418.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 230
  • P1060410.jpg
    P1060410.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 230
  • P1060412.jpg
    P1060412.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 230
  • P1060413.jpg
    P1060413.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 230
  • P1060414.jpg
    P1060414.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 230
IMG_1198a.jpg

Finally got the drills off my bench. I now have a clear bench again, so I immediately dove back into the project I've been wanting to get onto, which was to build a small bookshelf - the kind that sits on a desk - and I got some sapele rough-cut to give me the sides and shelf. Good to get back to actually making something that'll leave the shed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back