What did you do in your workshop today ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Polished and sprayed this morning. Gave it 3 coats of spray. Gouge holder yet to cut, weld and spray. Think I'll leave that till tomorrow

Attachments

• Ellsworth jig-sprayed.JPG
    Ellsworth jig-sprayed.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 107
MikeJhn":3f62kg1p said:
I don't think you are biased at all, you just appreciate older buildings, I'd like to see a modern house in 800 years to see what it looks like. (hammer) :wink:

Mike

It will look like every other house - obliterated in the great thermo-nuclear war of 2017......

Surely nuclear winter is an effective solution to global warming... and other myths (homer)

The earth is warming, you can decide if you agree that warming is man made, the earth will be fine, it's mankind that is potentially buggered, you can choose to react or not.

F.

Edit: Sorry mods, drunk post! Totally irrelevant to the topic at hand. Hung over now in payment for my sins.

Agreed, but we're resilient and resourceful as a species, we'll survive climate change, but there will be/is collateral damage.
I'm doing my bit; unheated workshop as a rule.

MrTeroo":1n2c03pn said:
MikeJhn":1n2c03pn said:
I don't think you are biased at all, you just appreciate older buildings, I'd like to see a modern house in 800 years to see what it looks like. (hammer) :wink:

Mike

It will look like every other house - obliterated in the great thermo-nuclear war of 2017......

First thing I do is look out the window soon as I wake and check the colour of the sky.

we'll survive climate change, but there will be/is collateral damage.
One of the main bits of collateral damage will be that the things we grow to eat don't do so well outside of a very very narrow temperature range and it takes time to adapt them to new ones.
So some of us would survive... the rest, well, do you remember what was happening on this side of the Irish sea the last time the pound was worth this little? :D

What we *really* could do with is more trees, and more woodworking :D So heat the workshop and plant a tree :D

We better get back to the thread topic.....

Oops! I've been making wall based storage for my 'den' in the house, just simple ply construction.
The best decision [change from original plan] was to cover one area of wall with a sheet of 19mm ply to enable easy attachment of shelves/monitors/storage drawers etc. and then allow me to change my mind on their placement.

Finished a couple of simple photo frames with some of the stock gathered from Chrispy Chris. The smaller one is Beech and the larger one is Chestnut, both finished with Danish oil.
rsz_img_4456.jpg

Attachments

• rsz_img_4456.jpg
    rsz_img_4456.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 166
Made some changes to my shooting board and honing setup
Changes introduced to the shooting board were making the stop taller and wider
I finessed the dado for the sliding stop using a method in this video at 3.20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jix5SDsfS5I
and I also put a big bevel on the back of the stop to stop blow out.
SAM_1912.JPG SAM_1913.JPG

I found clamping the honing setup too tedious so I changed it over to a bench stop setup instead...

Also I made a zero clearance insert for the tablesaw ,
And fettled my bandsaw

Attachments

• SAM_1912.JPG
    SAM_1912.JPG
    197.8 KB · Views: 172
  • SAM_1913.JPG
    SAM_1913.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 172
  • SAM_1914.JPG
    SAM_1914.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 172
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 172
^^TT, couple of pictures missing?
and I also put a big bevel on the back of the stop to stop blow out.
SAM_1912.JPG SAM_1913.JPG

Sorry I'm still trying to get the hang of posting piccys in order ..
Those pics nearly came out duplicated underneath
Tom

Ttrees":1i8kxb8b said:
Sorry I'm still trying to get the hang of posting piccys in order ..
Those pics nearly came out duplicated underneath
Tom
Hey, no worries, was just letting you know in case you didn't notice.

mayo.mick":19e04zs9 said:
Polished and sprayed this morning. Gave it 3 coats of spray. Gouge holder yet to cut, weld and spray. Think I'll leave that till tomorrow

Finally got my jig finished today. Made the gouge holder at 45* though when welded its a bit more like 43*. Made a second holder and that's at roughly 60* I think. I've yet to try out the new grinds, will make templates for the various grinds to make setting up quick and repeatable. Happy enough the way they turned out, all from off cuts from a previous project.

Attachments

• Elsworth jig-finished-20170502_183649.JPG
    Elsworth jig-finished-20170502_183649.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 139
  • Elsworth jig-finished-20170502_143104.JPG
    Elsworth jig-finished-20170502_143104.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 139
Now if you'd used my mortising jig, that could not have happened!
Really sorry for your mishap.
We've all been there and done that, or something equally annoying. I have made that exact same mistake before, actually. About 35 years ago, and I still remember it.
Better luck next time, eh?

Indeed! These things happen though as you say. I don't know if I should just fill it in with filler or rout it out into a rectangle and make a piece to fit in. It's the top rail of a beds headboard so I can use that edge as the underside if you get me. You'll only see it as when you're lying in bed looking up. I'm thinking filler perhaps as it will be sanded and painted.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Brian
Filler is rarely a good solution.
It's good that it is possible to position it upside down. Yes you could see it if you looked for it, but hopefully you will be doing something more enjoyable than looking at a mistake. Like sleeping, for example.
It is a shame that that is not just in a straight line, but if it were me, I would rout out a pocket that did not extend to the edges of the workpiece, and fill with a patch.
It is salvageable, I believe. And salvageable well, at that, it will just take a bit of work.

Can't you swap it for the bottom rail so its hidden by the mattress?

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back